COUNTDOWN to REGAL PRINCESS: News, updates, and general information!!!

dmwnc1959

No there is a hallway from the elevators to the outdoor area. You don't need to go through the fitness centre to get to the aft pool.

But you also can't go up the central elevators and through the ship to get there, right?????

(We have an aft cabin so this may be our "private" pool. I hope there's some shade! :) )

36 Days until Regal Princess is delivered

41 Days until her Maiden Voyage from Venice

211 Days until she arrives in Fort Lauderdale

284 days until Regal Princess is reunited with Royal Princess

:D

143 days until she takes me around the Med!

Reminds me of the Island/Coral dipping pool.

I guess its better then nothing.

I was hoping it would be like the aft pool on the Island/Coral, but I have to admit that this looks significantly smaller. Hard to tell for sure on a deck plan, of course. Will be interesting to see it in person.

Thanks for posting this, need2cruisesoon

Tuscan, complain, complain, complain...in the end, we only want positive people on the Regal/ In the end, the ship will be wonderful as the Royal.

Think positive

Maybe I don't know any better. I thought the Royal was the "cats meow" when I cruised her in December. I can't wait to go again. I'm booking a 3 days on the Regal. Just so I can go again. I have other major trips already planned for this year. Can't do a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok here is the deck plan shown the aft pool on the Sun Deck:

Is it a pool or a oversized hot tub?

ScreenShot2014-04-08at45744PM.jpg

LINK:

http://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=GP

That's the big question going around since the first "in construction" pictures were made available. Given the space they had to put that "pool," it can't be much larger than a foot bath. Rest assured, those "huggy bear" dudes would fill that up after 3 of them showed up! :eek:

36 Days until Regal Princess is delivered

41 Days until her Maiden Voyage from Venice

211 Days until she arrives in Fort Lauderdale

284 days until Regal Princess is reunited with Royal Princess

:D

Yup, it sure is a "fur piece" twix now and then!! Oh well, all the more time to save up some extra $$ for Crooners! :D

Tuscan, complain, complain, complain...in the end, we only want positive people on the Regal/ In the end, the ship will be wonderful as the Royal.

Think positive

I agree with John Paul!! I canceled an Alaskan b2b on the Crown so that I could take the Maiden Caribbean and the 7-day b2b on the Regal!! One man's disasters are another man's adventures!! ;)

A little off topic perhaps but, by coincidence, a really good airfare just popped up so I booked our flights for our Regal Cruise. Makes it seem just a little bit closer. I'll look forward to dipping my toe in the "foot bath" and reporting back. :D

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

A little off topic perhaps but, by coincidence, a really good airfare just popped up so I booked our flights for our Regal Cruise. Makes it seem just a little bit closer. I'll look forward to dipping my toe in the "foot bath" and reporting back. :D

Good job watching that airfare!

Yes the foot bath. :p

Please do...our cruise is not until December & we'll be waiting for your report.:D

Edited by Sanibel*Gal
correct grammar

dave,

Thanks for the update regarding the 4/16 sea trials and the shaft replacement. Hope all the trials and the court battle(s) go well! We only have 40 days until we board her for the maiden voyage... :cool:

Very exciting now that we are quickly approaching close to the 30 day out mark. Still seems like there is a lot to do in that time frame. Still no word on the Godmother, etc, seems like something would be getting out there.

Not that I am excited or anything..

These aerial pictures of the Fincantieri shipyard at Monfalcone, Italy taken last month while Regal Princess was still in dry dock. She is scheduled to depart on Sea Trials tomorrow.

13865381215_0342b15c2d_b.jpg

13870672455_8eac1f6bfa_b.jpg

(Credit pazzoperilmare)

Edited by dmwnc1959

This tidbit of news and information from the local Trieste newspaper dated April 15th:

"Tomorrow (April 16), Regal Princess will leave the Fincantieri shipyard in Monfalcone for Sea Trials prior to her delivery according to the contract. The departure was confirmed in a technical meeting held last Friday, between the plant management and the trade unions, in which the company has provided details of the timing of the tests - the return of the ship in Monfalcone is expected in the days following Easter. During the six days of testing Regal Princess will sail through the middle of the Adriatic Sea, and will be the subject of a long and complex series of tests, under the careful eyes of the representatives of the shipping company and the technicians of certification bodies. Some of these tests will submit the vessel to structural stresses, as the passage of the engines from 'full speed ahead' to the 'all back full speed'.

As for the delivery of the Regal Princess to Princess Cruises on May 15, with a ceremony to be held in Monfalcone, there is still a major outstanding issue. It is the seizure of the ship as a result of a complex history of compensation linked to a serious accident to a worker at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard, after which the man who died a few years later. The next hearing on the appeal against the seizure of the vessel by Princess Cruises - the shipping company has applied for cancellation of the seizure - is to be held at the Court of Gorizia on May 6, and less than ten days from the date for delivery of the Regal Princess."

Dave;

Great pictures of the Regal as she prepares to begin her sea trials.....:):):)

Bob

I also liked the aerial picture of Britannia showing the location of her aft pool. I remember when it was first announced that this third in the series of Royal-class would have this feature, everyone was heralding how much better it made this one ship than the other two. We can now see (in #1winelover's words) that it's "not much bigger than a foot bath". However, I guess something is better than nothing. It will be interesting to see the first pictures of what Regal Princess' version of this foot bath will be. ;)

Edited by dmwnc1959

Lots of people, including myself, had a great time on the Royal and would go back on Royal or Regal in a heartbeat.

What is the 'disaster' you are referring to? the great Piazza? or fantastic Horizon court and Bistro? The wonderfull Alfredo's? the always good Prego pizza?

Or the minor inconvenience (to many) of no central stairs (I had 7 cruises on GP with no central stairs either), or the lack of wrap around external promenade on deck 7, but which still had great places to sit out without the annoyance of joggers thumping past every 2 minutes.

Glad you posted this. We just got off the Royal and I totally agree with you. The lack of a central stairs just meant we walked a little further to use stairs which we did use a lot since our cabin was on deck 9. The walk/running track on the Sports Deck worked better for both types of exercise and included various exercise stations as well.

The HC/Bistro area was well thought out and made meals there much easier.

The ship is beautiful. My only comment of a questioning nature is why did they do away with the blue starboard and red port side carpeting colors? We finally figured that the main bank of elevator cars faced forward so we knew which way to turn after leaving the car. Yeah, the signage on each deck was great so you could read which was port or starboard side, but I like the carpet color differences to quickly get a direction sense.

.........................SNIP...................... My only comment of a questioning nature is why did they do away with the blue starboard and red port side carpeting colors? We finally figured that the main bank of elevator cars faced forward so we knew which way to turn after leaving the car. Yeah, the signage on each deck was great so you could read which was port or starboard side, but I like the carpet color differences to quickly get a direction sense.

They are doing this on other ships as well. The only thing I can think of is that it saves money and storage space to carry only one color carpeting border.:)

Pictures of Regal Princess departing on Sea Trails this morning from Monfalcone. One thing I had noticed in some pictures post-drydock were what looked like funnel exhaust extensions. These new pictures seem to confirm this...

13893340055_de2b4ec79c_b.jpg

13893340265_e4f4474644_b.jpg

13893340275_c5fd1bfb30_b.jpg

13893340495_d4e73d7db8_b.jpg

13893340505_9164a1b192_b.jpg

Credit all pictures Katia Bonaventura