Help to pick room?

sss071

I'll be going on a southbound Alaskan cruise later this year aboard the Island Princess and need some advice. At the moment we have booked B205 (mini suite) as that was the only balcony room available at the time, but I've since checked back and there are now many more rooms to choose from.

We would love the opportunity to switch to a port side room for our southbound cruise so should we stick with B205 or go with:

- D716 - D726 (Aft MS.. slight upgrade in price)

- C718 (Aft MS.. slight upgrade in price)

- D208 - D222 (Forward balcony.. obviously cheaper, but port side too.)

The main things we are concerned about are view, quality of balcony and quietness. Will vibration at the aft be an issue?

We are fit enough to manage walking to the dining rooms so that proximity isn't really an issue. ;) I was also considering whether it would be preferable to be near the aft or secret forward viewing areas but I suppose we can manage those walks too if need be.

Thanks for any help you can provide in comparing these rooms!

Edited by sss071

While it's nice to be able to sit on your balcony for scenic viewing, you'll miss any announcements or explanations as those are just on public decks. You are better off moving around the ship for a variety of views. Keep that in mind although then it wouldn't be quiet and private.

If it were me, I'd book the higher deck as there would be less vibration and for viewing the glaciers, be on deck.

We prefer a cabin that is mid ship to aft. The only time I've ever been seasick in my 40 years of cruising was on an Alaskan cruise when were in D105 on the Diamond. The seas weren't rough, but I couldn't stand being that far up front. We always book a specific cabin in the upper 500's or further back, and we mark it No Upgrade.

Check out this site for the Island/Coral Princess.

I would take D716 or C718.

C718 if I had to make a choice.

Close to aft viewing area.

Welcome to CC!

On our 2 Alaska cruises we had mini-suites on the Coral Princess in the D7XX series and love them. The balconies are fully covered (no problem using them if it is drizzling), they are steps away from the aft viewing area, being at the aft of the ship there is no hall traffic, and if you want to do laundry the laundromat is right there.

We've also been in C7XX on the Island Princess on a Panama Canal cruise. The only drawback (for us on an Alaska cruise) is that the balcony is only half covered. An added plus is that the aft viewing area on Caribe deck as chaise lounges while the area on Dolphin deck is too narrow for the lounges.

On our 2 Alaska cruises we had mini-suites on the Coral Princess in the D7XX series and love them. The balconies are fully covered (no problem using them if it is drizzling), they are steps away from the aft viewing area, being at the aft of the ship there is no hall traffic, and if you want to do laundry the laundromat is right there.

We've also been in C7XX on the Island Princess on a Panama Canal cruise. The only drawback (for us on an Alaska cruise) is that the balcony is only half covered. An added plus is that the aft viewing area on Caribe deck as chaise lounges while the area on Dolphin deck is too narrow for the lounges.

I say Caribe because of the window washing equipment on the aft viewing area.

I found it annoying when we were out there.

Caribe has the most chairs back there.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We did Alaska with a tiny inside room on Sea Princess. We did all of our viewing on deck and it was great. We got to move around for multiple views. We also liked the wide promenade on that ship with the loungers. My wife's Facebook profile picture is her on a lounger on the Promenade deck. She's all bundled up and has the drink of the day (something hot) in her hand.

While a balcony might be nice it's not mandatory so you really should be happy in any room. Many people on our cruise who had balcony rooms and mini suites ended up on deck for the glacier viewing rather than using their balconies.

We got a covered balcony which came in handy on rainy days. Also, we were able to hear all announcements on our balcony by keeping our balcony door open and having our TV on the ship channel. If whales were spotted, or the naturalist was speaking we heard it just fine. We did also move around the ship though. We figured out how,to spot the whales through our wide angled binoculars which was suggested on Cruise Critic, and saw whales every day during our back to back. Loved Alaska. Enjoy your cruise.

We got a covered balcony which came in handy on rainy days. Also' date=' we were able to hear all announcements on our balcony by keeping our balcony door open and having our TV on the ship channel. If whales were spotted, or the naturalist was speaking we heard it just fine.[/quote']

We do the same.

If I was booking an Alaskan cruise I would choose a covered aft balcony. I would also do the open balcony/Television thing to hear announcements.....:):):)

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes, we had a balcony on Emerald deck and it was perfect:):)

Regards to Holli,

Eileen