Departure of CD Roy Perez

harryw

Mr. Perez was originally scheduled for this current Riviera cruise, but we discovered onboard that he was replaced. The rumor is that his employ was either terminated or contract not renewed because a passenger with pull at corporate didn't like his presiding performance at a trivia game!

He was the CD no our last cruise, and did an excellent job. It's a pity that good employees can disappear at the whim of a connected passenger.

Harry

Mr. Perez was originally scheduled for this current Riviera cruise, but we discovered onboard that he was replaced. The rumor is that his employ was either terminated or contract not renewed because a passenger with pull at corporate didn't like his presiding performance at a trivia game!

He was the CD no our last cruise, and did an excellent job. It's a pity that good employees can disappear at the whim of a connected passenger.

Harry

Hard to believe a passenger had that clout. I have written letters and complaints about Nolan dean, as have others, to no avail

Sad to see Roy go. We liked him.

Harry

and if you believe that story, I have this bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you cheap....

Jancruz1

Given that the role of trivia host is but one of many duties for the CD I would seriously doubt the premise of the OP. Most passengers do not participate in trivia and a perceived poor or good host performance is or no consequence to this majority.Therefore, not the basis of employment.

Edited by Noxequifans

Some passengers make the CD's life miserable. We had one on the Nautica who had steady complaints during Trivia as his team was not doing well and he made the CD's life miserable with all his complaints about the questions. Yes, the guest speaker did make a mistake during one of his presentations but that is not the CD's fault. Everyone else in the room got the question correct. We actually heard the passenger threaten the CD with having him fired. I think the company goes with the majority of passengers views rather than a few grumpy elite passengers, if I was reading this forum correctly.

not based on one person. That is out of the question.

I for one did not like Mr. Perez at all. He was fine for Spanish lessons, but not at all as CD. That's my opinion.

I believe a CD should be visible and personally I only saw him 3 times during a 21 day period. Perhaps this had something to do with it. Who knows, but management makes their own decisions based on lots of criteria.

I wish him well.

Now, I only wish for my next 17 days I could have Willie Ames, but I am sure that is not going to happen!

If this is true I am very disappointed. We have sailed with Roy twice as an assistant CD and last year as a CD and thoroughly enjoyed him. But if you would do a search there have been several unwarranted complaints. As for not seeing him we saw him everyday when the shore excursions met in the theater and Trivia was fun. .He was very fair with the questions ( on Oceania trivia is a killer sport ). It seems that some passengers believe that they should always have their way, never mind the rest of us.

If this is true I am very disappointed. We have sailed with Roy twice as an assistant CD and last year as a CD and thoroughly enjoyed him. But if you would do a search there have been several unwarranted complaints. As for not seeing him we saw him everyday when the shore excursions met in the theater and Trivia was fun. .He was very fair with the questions ( on Oceania trivia is a killer sport ). It seems that some passengers believe that they should always have their way, never mind the rest of us.

Agree. And I bet we can even name some of those passengers. Lolol

+1

We enjoyed Roy, saw him regularly onboard, especially as tours departed and returned. I played trivia even every day and appreciated that he didn't take it all so darned seriously. I couldn't believe the criticisms I saw when we got back. I guess it just shows how widely tastes can differ!

Companies rarely make termination decisions on one complaint or aspect of performance. Over the course of my career I have had to terminate people who, on the surface, looked to be amazing employees. It's kind of like divorce--there are two sides to every story.

Of course, we have no idea if he was terminated or if he chose to leave. People are simply speculating. I'm not sure it's fair to this indivdiual (and for what it's worth, I have no idea who he is because my first Oceania cruise won't be until later this year) to guess about his personal situation.

We liked him too. Just the right light touch. There were some hypercompetitive Trivia players, however, who were downright obnoxious to him and others. (The smaller the stakes the greater the emotion.)

Anything is possible.

DH and I were on the B2B Jan 23rd and Feb 2nd on Riviera. Our documents showed Roy as CD. I knew Roy from a cruise a few years back when he gave the enjoyable spanish lessons but I am not sure of his other responsibilities, but he was not the CD.

When I got on board and talked to David Peterson I asked why Roy was not the CD as per documents. David said that he was going to Head Office but was asked to be CD for a few more cruises as Roy had been working straight for 8 months and had not had a break. That is the reason that Roy was not CD for the last few cruises.

I hope this is correct. It is what David Peterson told me directly.

o

I could also not care less who the CD is. I liked Roy's Spanish lessons too because they were a fun way to spend an hour on a TA. Everyone here raves about Leslie Jon and he left me totally cold. I rely on my fellow passengers to amuse me, not a CD.

Everyone here raves about Leslie Jon and he left me totally cold.

Please, give us a chance to re-introduce you. Anyone can have an off day.

Leslie is a charming, talented, multifaceted guy, but so are many Cruise Directors, what makes him really worth knowing is that he is one of the true gentlemen of this World.

Edited by JimandStan

I agree totally. During our Riviera cruise last July, I was unable to make more than a few Trivia games due to the 4 pm start-time and our shore excursions. My team consistently won when I could make it but I needed about 10 more points for the cap I wanted.

When Leslie I chatted at the Oceania Club cocktail party and he realized that I was a sports trivia buff (and baseball in particular), he was nice enough to offer (unsolicited) to meet me the morning of the next-to-last day to give me a one-on-one chance to earn the extra points by answering at least 10 out of 12 sports trivia questions correctly. (I got 11, including the name of the actor who starred on TV, was the first player to smash a glass backboard with a dunk in a college game and also played Major League Baseball...)

Edited by JPR