Tipping

kitty52

As search function has disappeared how much is the norm for tipping porters at Everglades? From UK so like to know norm.

Of course tipping is always up to your discretion. However, if you're asking what is customary in the States I would agree with the others that $2-3 a bag is typical.

Of course tipping is always up to your discretion. However, if you're asking what is customary in the States I would agree with the others that $2-3 a bag is typical.

Correct because you never know whether that bag will end up in the drink or have busted locks. :eek:

Correct because you never know whether that bag will end up in the drink or have busted locks. :eek:
Unfortunately, very true. If you're arriving from the UK with a pre-cruise Princess transfer, your luggage will be taken off the bus and taken away before you get off so there won't be tipping.

Many people don't tip the porters at all and don't have issues. Remember, the porters are making union scale - they aren't dependent on tips like the cruise staff are.

Yes they make union scale but they do exploit the tipping thing. And they do take it out on peoples bags unfortunatley. :(

What the porters, stewards, etc make has nothing to do with whether or not one tips them.

Supposed they handled your bags according to what they think you make?

People worry too much about what others make in their jobs.

Tip what you think is appropriate and go on as tipping is a personal matter.

Mike:)

Many people don't tip the porters at all and don't have issues. Remember, the porters are making union scale - they aren't dependent on tips like the cruise staff are.

Ya gotta ask yourself.."Do I feel lucky?"

As search function has disappeared how much is the norm for tipping porters at Everglades? From UK so like to know norm.
In Florida they are union and earn a hearty wage so no tipping necessary. In states where they are not union I tip $1 per bag. All bags go onto a conveyor belt that has a net underneath so your bags cannot end up in the water. I have never had any mishap with my luggage in Florida or anywhere else. Edited by cruzsnooze

Ya gotta ask yourself.."Do I feel lucky?"

Yeah, but we've tipped the $5 for 2 bags and still had them show up soaking wet.

My DH refuses to tip those scam "helpers" who try to put the luggage in the trunk and if the cabbies try to drive us around to run up the fare they lose their tip.

On the flip side, if we find someone who goes out of their way to be friendly and helpful we make sure to tip a little extra.

In Florida they are union and earn a hearty wage so no tipping necessary. In states where they are not union I tip $1 per bag. All bags go onto a conveyor belt that has a net underneath so your bags cannot end up in the water. I have never had any mishap with my luggage in Florida or anywhere else.

Your first sentence is correct and there are signs stating "no tipping necessary." BUT have you seen the boss of the porters walking around with a brown paper bag collecting tips from the workers so it can be split later? Every time I've cruised this has been seen. I've also experienced that we handed the porter $20 for 6 bags (2 couples) and a $5 was on the outside and the porter started to protest until he unfolded the bills. So I will continue to pay the ransom.

Yes they make union scale but they do exploit the tipping thing. And they do take it out on peoples bags unfortunatley. :(

Totally true. I've seen quite a few bags sopping wet on embarkation day when it wasn't raining. First time I saw it, I asked, "What happened?" Crew member told me, "A group of bags went swimming. It happens." ;)

Your first sentence is correct and there are signs stating "no tipping necessary." BUT have you seen the boss of the porters walking around with a brown paper bag collecting tips from the workers so it can be split later? Every time I've cruised this has been seen. I've also experienced that we handed the porter $20 for 6 bags (2 couples) and a $5 was on the outside and the porter started to protest until he unfolded the bills. So I will continue to pay the ransom.

And bags do end up in the water, I have seen it a few times. :cool:

I had one occasion where I found I had no small bills left, so no tip given. The porter took our bags and we watched him put them in one of the wire racks for transport to the ship. As we were boarding we looked back to see him take the bags out of the rack again - they arrived at our cabin very late in the evening.

Since then I make sure to budget for the "protection" money for the porters.

Edited by Times Prince

I had one occasion where I found I had no small bills left, so no tip given. The porter took our bags and we watched him put them in one of the wire racks for transport to the ship. As we were boarding we looked back to see him take the bags out of the rack again - they arrived at our cabin very late in the evening.

Since then I make sure to budget for the "protection" money for the porters.

Protection money! Good one. :)

And bags do end up in the water, I have seen it a few times. :cool:

Totally true. I've seen quite a few bags sopping wet on embarkation day when it wasn't raining. First time I saw it, I asked, "What happened?" Crew member told me, "A group of bags went swimming. It happens." ;)

What ports?