Scale Onboard?

mysusie45

Please don't laugh me off the board. Just curious. Will be on the Royal in the near future and wondered if there is a scale in the gym area or somewhere else. Going to be away from home for 7 weeks and like to know how bad I am being. Thanks for any comments.

Please don't laugh me off the board. Just curious. Will be on the Royal in the near future and wondered if there is a scale in the gym area or somewhere else. Going to be away from home for 7 weeks and like to know how bad I am being. Thanks for any comments.

There is a scale in the gym.

I haven't been on the Royal, but I've seen a scale in the gym on other Princess ships. I would expect it to be there, as it is a part of a good exercise program to watch one's weight.

Good thing it is not just outside the main dining room. ;)

My experience with using scales at sea is that because the ship is in constant motion, especially the ups and downs, you will never get anywhere near an accurate weight reading. Scales would be slightly more reliable when used while the ship is tied up at dock.

Bon Voyage

My experience with using scales at sea is that because the ship is in constant motion, especially the ups and downs, you will never get anywhere near an accurate weight reading. Scales would be slightly more reliable when used while the ship is tied up at dock.

Bon Voyage

Wrong. The only people who claim the reading aren't accurate, are those who are gaining weight. Then again, those folks usually don't weigh themselves anyway. At home, or at sea.

What the heck do you go on a cruise for? ;) If you think that you have to weigh everyday, then you are defeating the purpose of a cruise. :( Relax and enjoy the good life and then when you get home, step on the scales. :eek:

I have never gained more than 2 lbs while on a cruise and that came from weighing when I got home! :D And believe me I eat plenty while on a cruise, but I always have salads and fresh fruit aplenty during the cruise!!!

Bon Voyage

This would also be my suggestion. I've attempted to weigh myself while the ship is out to sea and it showed ranges of plus/minus 5 - 10# . Waiting until you are at port is the best time.

Edited by iceleven

If the ship's movement is an issue, then weight yourself when the ship is in port.

I agree with another poster that the only ones who complain about the accuracy of the scales are the ones who have gained weight and are refusing to admit it.

Just an FYI concerning scales...our room steward was able to get us a luggage scale to check weights on our bags at the end of our cruise. We were a little worried after the shopping we had done...:eek:

Now if you had someone hook that to the back of your collar and suspend you from one of the upper decks...nah...better not try that. ;)

I try to weigh myself when I first get on the ship to establish the starting weight. Then I will weigh in once a day and work from the starting weight to get an idea if I am gaining or not. Of course the scales do not lie. The food on the ship is not the fault it is the water right.

I try to weigh myself when I first get on the ship to establish the starting weight. Then I will weigh in once a day and work from the starting weight to get an idea if I am gaining or not. Of course the scales do not lie. The food on the ship is not the fault it is the water right.

That is exactly what we do...that way if the scale is off, it doesn't really matter - you have a gauge as to whether the number is going up or not. We do enjoy ourselves while on vacation but we also practice moderation. For example, we make it a rule to not eat dessert just for the sake of eating dessert unless we really want it, and even then, sometimes we share. We also do not use elevators except on formal night and I go to the gym every day. Vacation is not an excuse to ignore your health. Those who don't exercise and don't gain much weight likely aren't eating much different than they do at home.

Please don't laugh me off the board.

Susie- I was laughing before I even opened the thread to read it! Not at you, but at the idea of a scale on a floating house of gluttony. I never even THOUGHT about a scale while on the ship.

I recently caught the cruise bug, have taken a few cruises and I'm always looking for future deals. Part of that is reading about the ships ammenities, and I've caught myself several times building a To Do list of all the places I'm going to eat while onboard. And as my belt starts groaning at the strain, I'm snapped back to the reality that it's just NOT healthy!

Next month on my 3/20 sailing, I do plan to eat in the MDR more and avoid the buffet. (I did laugh loudly on my first Princess cruise when I discovered those PLATTERS for plates in the buffet line. Perhaps as an upgrade, they could provide carts with wheels and a scoop to help shovel the food on the cart.)

And I do plan to find that scale in the gym-- along with a good cardio workout. Rocking ship distorting the readings? Heck! I'm sure it will vacillate in readings between "FAT" and "FATTER" that's all.

Lastly, if I were to do some research on the cruise line's history, I'm sure I'll find that for a short period they had scales at the entrance to each dining room and buffet line, but the wide-loads complained that they were bumping into them and slowing them down as they were charging for the food.

Don't find this funny? Then it's time for a diet. LOL

Susie- I was laughing before I even opened the thread to read it! Not at you, but at the idea of a scale on a floating house of gluttony. I never even THOUGHT about a scale while on the ship.

I recently caught the cruise bug, have taken a few cruises and I'm always looking for future deals. Part of that is reading about the ships ammenities, and I've caught myself several times building a To Do list of all the places I'm going to eat while onboard. And as my belt starts groaning at the strain, I'm snapped back to the reality that it's just NOT healthy!

Next month on my 3/20 sailing, I do plan to eat in the MDR more and avoid the buffet. (I did laugh loudly on my first Princess cruise when I discovered those PLATTERS for plates in the buffet line. Perhaps as an upgrade, they could provide carts with wheels and a scoop to help shovel the food on the cart.)

And I do plan to find that scale in the gym-- along with a good cardio workout. Rocking ship distorting the readings? Heck! I'm sure it will vacillate in readings between "FAT" and "FATTER" that's all.

Lastly, if I were to do some research on the cruise line's history, I'm sure I'll find that for a short period they had scales at the entrance to each dining room and buffet line, but the wide-loads complained that they were bumping into them and slowing them down as they were charging for the food.

Don't find this funny? Then it's time for a diet. LOL

I find it funny. Thanks for the laugh. I also work out every morning and eat as I do at home. Almost. And desserts are mostly non existent because I just don't like them. I find the buffet easier because in the DR I eat bread.

This method works for us. Have never gained weight on a cruise. We ALWAYS use the stairs never take a elevator.(only on embarkation to get carry on to our room). Sometimes it sucks going up to skywalkers then down to dinner or getting on board at port and having to climb 9 flights of stairs. I kept track and one day and we had climbed up and down almost 100 floors. My thighs definitely feel it. Its better then going to the gym.

This method works for us. Have never gained weight on a cruise. We ALWAYS use the stairs never take a elevator.(only on embarkation to get carry on to our room). Sometimes it sucks going up to skywalkers then down to dinner or getting on board at port and having to climb 9 flights of stairs. I kept track and one day and we had climbed up and down almost 100 floors. My thighs definitely feel it. Its better then going to the gym.
In the past we have taken the stairs, but on our last cruise, my knee and hip started to hurt too much, so it will elevators combined with walking a mile or two around the Promenade desk each day. Getting older sucks but it is better than the alternative ;)

I've never seen one "out and about", though I've never asked.

And for the naysayers about weighing yourself on a cruise, it can matter if you're doing a flight-based excursion. When I did a glacier trip via helicopter in 2010, the dock gal took my ticket and asked what I weighed "and add 5-10 pounds for clothes". I had my camera bag with me, so when I jokingly said 249.9 her eyes got all big, and she said I'd need to weigh at the terminal while holding the camera gear I planned to carry. Since I was happy to pay the fee if I was overweight, I didn't mind, though I was anticipating that I'd be right on the edge. Sure enough, 249.6, no fee. ;)