Let me tell you about Princess Insurance

Pia1913

Unfortunately we had to do a last minute cruise cancellation due to my husband having a traumatic injury to his eye.

We cancelled our February 7th Emerald cruise on February 1st, filed all papers on February 10th and a check for the full amount was cut on February 21st. I just received all monies in today's mail.

For those having second thoughts about Princess insurance (Berkeley), stop worrying.

Unfortunately we had to do a last minute cruise cancellation due to my husband having a traumatic injury to his eye.

We cancelled our February 7th Emerald cruise on February 1st, filed all papers on February 10th and a check for the full amount was cut on February 21st. I just received all monies in today's mail.

For those having second thoughts about Princess insurance (Berkeley), stop worrying.

Glad that you had success and hope that Mike is doing well. Big question: Does Princess insurance cover pre-existing conditions? We had heard that they do not. Also does it include evacuation insurance in case you need it?

Glad that you had success and hope that Mike is doing well. Big question: Does Princess insurance cover pre-existing conditions? We had heard that they do not. Also does it include evacuation insurance in case you need it?

Princess has that "cancel for any reason" clause, so perhaps that encompasses pre-existing too. Everyone has a different definition of pre-ex, but if your health and meds don't change 180 days prior, then even with pre-ex you are covered. And they do have evacuation, but we also have an additional policy just in case.

That's really good to know, especially from a fellow Floridian. When you don't have to worry about flights and traveling it is so easy to believe that nothing will come between you and your cruise. My TA always suggests insurance other than Princess - but after your positive experience, I really do think I'll insist on Princess from now on. Glad to hear your husband is on the mend - eye issues take time to heal and can be very unnerving to say the least.

That's really good to know, especially from a fellow Floridian. When you don't have to worry about flights and traveling it is so easy to believe that nothing will come between you and your cruise. My TA always suggests insurance other than Princess - but after your positive experience, I really do think I'll insist on Princess from now on. Glad to hear your husband is on the mend - eye issues take time to heal and can be very unnerving to say the least.

We take lots of lengthy cruises, most of which do not originate in Florida. Your TA gets commission on other insurances, but I don't believe Princess does it. In any event, Princess doesn't care how old you are; everyone pays the same. Not so with other insurances and eventually you reach a point when private insurances are way out of line.

This was the first time we had to do this; hope it's the last. We did have a prior claim with Berkeley for damaged and delayed luggage and they came through speedily at that time too.

Pia, that's great news! Hope Mike is better. :)

We've had the same excellent service and response with Berkley Care. It's not for everyone but one of the realities of insurance is that it's for the unexpected. There are as many scenarios as there are passengers and if we expected to miss a flight, have a last-minute illness or whatever reason, we wouldn't need insurance. IMHO, Princess is one of the best "all-purpose" insurance coverages. It may not be the cheapest for many but when a situation arises, the last thing you need or want to worry about is whether you're covered.

Hoping your DH is doing OK...thinking of both of you

We've had the same excellent service and response with Berkley Care. It's not for everyone but one of the realities of insurance is that it's for the unexpected. There are as many scenarios as there are passengers and if we expected to miss a flight, have a last-minute illness or whatever reason, we wouldn't need insurance. IMHO, Princess is one of the best "all-purpose" insurance coverages. It may not be the cheapest for many but when a situation arises, the last thing you need or want to worry about is whether you're covered.

Our main concern with Princess insurance is it does not cover you from the time you leave your home and return but only on the cruise. Also, the medical coverage and medvac does not seem all that much considering the high cost of medical care today. Maybe we are wrong, I don't know:confused:. We buy travel insurance thru an agency and MedJet Assist.

He should know better than to get between you and the wine!

Our main concern with Princess insurance is it does not cover you from the time you leave your home and return but only on the cruise. Also, the medical coverage and medvac does not seem all that much considering the high cost of medical care today. Maybe we are wrong, I don't know:confused:. We buy travel insurance thru an agency and MedJet Assist.
That's very true. I book my flights using AA miles so if I cancel, the miles go back in my account. Medicare doesn't pay for anything once you set foot on a ship so I have a really good supplemental plan plus I get an annual policy with MedJet Assist. We used them four years ago and I would never go anywhere without medevac coverage. The Princess insurance will get you to the nearest medical center but that could be 3,000 miles away from home, which was our case when my BIL was sick in FLL for a month and we were able to use MedJet Assist to fly him back to CA.

What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Do your research and get what's best for you.

Hi Pia,

Just curious, what kind of evacuation insurance do you use?

It's EA+ which he got through his Medigap carrier and also covers me for a miniscule amount. Between Princess and this one, we've got it covered. MedJet was much more expensive, but I know they do a good job.

I do worry about Princess insurance. I think it is fine for cancellation (except for the pre-existing clause is not black and white) but the medical coverage is actually poor compared to many 3rd party insurances. Since I have poor medical coverage outside of the US, and with the limited amount of medical coverage of Princess insurance, IMO, 3rd party insurance is better. I can't afford to have a surgery outside of the US with Princess's policy and my minimal insurance coverage.

I have had to process claims with this 3rd party company and they also paid quickly on the claims.

I do worry about Princess insurance. I think it is fine for cancellation (except for the pre-existing clause is not black and white) but the medical coverage is actually poor compared to many 3rd party insurances. Since I have poor medical coverage outside of the US, and with the limited amount of medical coverage of Princess insurance, IMO, 3rd party insurance is better. I can't afford to have a surgery outside of the US with Princess's policy and my minimal insurance coverage.

I have had to process claims with this 3rd party company and they also paid quickly on the claims.

I agree. Although Princess' insurance is good, it covers so little. With a third party insurance company, your transportation to/from the cruise, pre- & post-cruise stays, airfare and more are covered. The downside is it can get expensive the older you get.

It really pays to compare the different coverages for your particular situation. I would consider getting Princess' insurance as the 'bare minimum' of insurance a person should get.

Princess insurance covers pre-existing conditions so long as they're stable in the 60 days before the insurance is effective (which is the day you pay for it).

Also, if you use Princess for your pre- or post-cruise hotel or air, they're covered at no extra cost, as the price is based on a percentage of your cruise fare.

With any insurance, you should evaluate the need vs. the cost.

Is it necessary for the insurance policy to make you whole? Or do you just want to recover the major cost? Do you think you'll never travel again (must get cash) or are you likely to be able to book another trip next year (vouchers ok). The less coverage you need, the smaller the premiums will be.

On our Hawaiian cruise a year ago, DH got very ill the last night. Thanks to the insurance with Princess, what wasn't covered by our primary was covered, quickly, by Beckley.

On the same cruise, someone stole my cell phone. Beckley also cover my replacement phone!

We had never had to use the insurance on any of our other cruises. But always glad we have that policy in our pocket!