Port Everglades stevedores.....

Jetswdo

This is the first time taking a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale-- When we are dropped off at the port with all our luggage, do the stevedores/porters come right to us? I'm asking this because we will have 24 bottles of water taped up with cabin number on it, as well as a small duffel bag with 36 cans of soda (diet ginger ale, Sprite Zero, and decafinated diet coke.) Thanks, Anita

This is the first time taking a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale-- When we are dropped off at the port with all our luggage, do the stevedores/porters come right to us? I'm asking this because we will have 24 bottles of water taped up with cabin number on it, as well as a small duffel bag with 36 cans of soda (diet ginger ale, Sprite Zero, and decafinated diet coke.) Thanks, Anita

Here's a recent thread on the procedure & tipping of Port Everglades' stevedores/porters:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1994608

Edited by Astro Flyer

I would suggest putting an 'official' luggage tag on everything you are handing over to the porters - not just your cabin number. The tags have your last name, cabin number, and a bar code that I am assuming assists in loading and unloading the 'luggage'. I don't think there is a limit to the number of luggage tags you can print.

I would suggest putting an 'official' luggage tag on everything you are handing over to the porters - not just your cabin number. The tags have your last name, cabin number, and a bar code that I am assuming assists in loading and unloading the 'luggage'. I don't think there is a limit to the number of luggage tags you can print.

I agree...tape a luggage tag on everything you check with clear packing tape.

Better yet, place the case of water and soft drinks in a box, obtainable at the grocery store, to provide some protection. Tape the box closed and affix a luggage tag to the box.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

Plan on tagging everything ahead of time. They're upon you so fast that you hardly have time to get the luggage out of the car before they whip it away. I now put the tip in my pocket so I can get that out quickly. :)

I can attest to that!

And I do the same with the tip while in the taxi from the airport.

Mike:)

You will find that in most instances your cab or van driver will remove you luggage from the vehicle and place it beside or within a few feet of a cage type container that will be used to put your luggage aboard the ship. While the luggage is being removed from the vehicle the stevedores will be standing with their hands in their pockets. Once the luggage is sitting by the cage....and of course they have received the obligatory tip, they will lift your luggage, carry it a few feet and place it in the cage.

The tags have your last name, cabin number, and a bar code that I am assuming assists in loading and unloading the 'luggage'. I don't think there is a limit to the number of luggage tags you can print.

The last time I asked on board, I was told the bar codes are not used for anything yet.

Plan on tagging everything ahead of time. They're upon you so fast that you hardly have time to get the luggage out of the car before they whip it away. I now put the tip in my pocket so I can get that out quickly. :)

I hear you Pam. I caught on to having the tip in hand after being out fumbled with the light speed quickness of the porters. Not sure if the tip ensures any special handling, but I feel better not worrying about the possible lack of their special effort.

Be careful with those cans of pop. It doesn't take much for a can to break, soaking everyone's luggage. We always buy 16oz bottles for that reason and pack it in our hard sided luggage.

Lew's idea of putting them in a box would be great too.

The three sodas--decaf Diet coke, Diet Sprite, and Diet Ginger ale, are each in the 12 can case. Those will fit in the soft folding rolling duffel that I will have packed in my suitcase. Already attached the Princess luggage tag to that. If I can get a box at the CVS by the beach by our hotel to put the water bottles in, I will certainly do that. Otherwise, I will see if it will fit in a second, lightweight duffel. I will have to print out 1 more luggage tag. Anita

Because the 24-pack of water was already encased in plastic, we wrapped duct tape around it and wrote our cabin number all over it Made it to our cabin with luggage