Got a table for 2 but not sure if I want it!

Unless sailing with others, we generally request a table for two. True, a larger table with pleasant folks can really enhance the dinner, BUT a bad (rude/nasty etc) table mate just ruins the entire dinner – every night!

We tried Select dining ( like My Time dining) on a recent Celebrity cruise and sat by ourselves some nights and sat with some folks we met at the bar on others. It was good to mix it up.

Enjoy

Edited by cruisegirl1

Be careful what you wish for :D

On the Brilliance we asked for a table for 2 and yes they accommodated, right in between 2 tables of 8!

Boy was that awkward, of course we nodded or smiled at them since we were practically sitting at their table the way we were smooshed in between.

By the end of the cruise one of the guests from the "big" table just had to ask why we were sitting alone? They thought we were somebody special Bahahaha

I will definitely speak up next time if we are put in that position, not that we mind meeting new people but at dinner we like to get in and get out :)

Places to go, things to do......

Our first RCCL cruise we had MTD because we booked late and that was all that was left. It worked out pretty well.

Our second cruise we decided we missed having table mates and went back to late, traditional seating. We were placed at a 6 top near the captain's table. No one joined us the entire cruise. :rolleyes::(

I guess we'll go back to MTD because sitting alone at a huge table wasn't fun.

My BFF and I did a 9 night New England cruise 3 years ago. We had a nice table for 10 all to ourselves. We missed having tablemates. What was sad is there were people who wanted late dining and could not have it. The matre'd check and the people said they would be in the dining room some nights - they never showed. We were seated next to 2 large tables from a family reunion - the "kids" table (most we 18 -25) talked to us a few nights.

I often do MTD because of port times and request to share a table. I have met some interesting people. In all my cruises only once did we have a tablemate issue - a 3 night cruise on school holiday - the 3 women we were initially sharing with with made it clear they would not sit with a child (my daughter was almost 11). The requested to be moved. Our new tablemates were from the UK and enjoyed sharing some info about their country with my DD.

What's sad is that you know those folks who reserved the traditional seating knew they intended to eat in specialty resturants or in the buffet most nights.

It's a shame they just didn't switch to MTD if they knew they'd not be there more nights than not.:(

Manners and common courtesy are becoming lost "arts". :o

Hubby and I eat in the Dining Room whenever it is open for a meal, so we get in our 'social' time at lunch and breakfast. Dinner is for just us unless we are traveling with someone. We have enjoyed meeting interesting people during the earlier meals, but are never tied to table mates that might be less than pleasant!

We enjoy our dinner 'dates'!

We prefer either a table for two or one with 8 to 10 people. On one fourteen-day cruise (over the holidays), we were at a table for six and the other two couples complained the whole of the time. We should have asked for another table after the first night, but we felt sorry for the waiters and so stuck it out.

We're sailing on March 8th on Granduer of the Seas. I am pretty sure when I made the reservation I requested a large table. I'm way more outgoing than my husband and I like to meet new people. Also after 32 years of eating with the same person I thought it would be nice to have other people to talk to at dinner. This is only our 3rd cruise. The 1st cruise we were seated with a nice elderly couple and their son who was around 40ish. The last cruise on Carnival we had 2 other couples at our table more our age and my husband really liked them especially when he found out one of the other men had a boat so they both had fishing in common. I was surprised when I recently called RC to ask a few questions and was told we have a table for 2. I'm trying to decide if we should keep it or give it up for a table of 6 or 8. I was thinking of seeing how it goes the first night and seeing if we can change it if we're lonely. I think one advantage would be faster service so we can get out when we're done and go to the shows. When I originally booked the cruise 2 years ago it was a 30th anniversary celebration. Had to postpone so now its anniversary and my husband just retired from 30 years in the Navy. I was wondering if they gave us the table for 2 because of our anniversary. Which do you prefer, table for 2 or a large table?

We prefer a table for two. If we meet a nice couple we want to dine with, we go to a speciality restaurant for that meal. Gives us the flexibility of either dining alone or with people we like.

We have been given incorrect table assignments, and the first day make the change to a table for two.

Enjoy your cruise

We prefer the bigger tables, and the idea of getting to know other people and learning their stories, especially about travel. In the same way others have pointed out, we've been together for 16+ years, so meeting and talking with others people is interesting. And we think we are fun and interesting. Just an average couple. :cool:

HOWEVER, we've had "issues" on every one of our cruises from those who were uncomfortable with us being at their table. It was instant and obvious. (I didn't even have the chance to show pictures of our beautiful granddaughter!) Their discomfort was often displayed as coldness, curtness, distance...and even rudeness. A few changed tables the second day. :eek:

This cruise, we've reserved a table for two.

It's not up to me to change the bigots of the world. At least, not while I'm on vacation. :mad:

HOWEVER, we've had "issues" on every one of our cruises from those who were uncomfortable with us being at their table. It was instant and obvious. (I didn't even have the chance to show pictures of our beautiful granddaughter!) Their discomfort was often displayed as coldness, curtness, distance...and even rudeness. A few changed tables the second day.

Aww I am sorry to read that. How depressing, for anytime, but especially 2014. Too bad we are not cruising together, we'd be honored to have you gents at our table :)

For the first time, I have requested a table of 4 for my family. This will be our last opportunity to cruise together as a family for a while and after a string of bad luck with table mates, I decided that I didn't want to risk it again with a large table.

On our most recent cruise, my wife and I were seated at a 10-top. Three couples showed up for the first formal night and proceeded to complain about everything. The other couple that showed up every night were a nice older couple, but mostly kept to themselves.

On the cruise before that, we were at another large table. Six of the table mates showed up 30 to 45 minutes late each night. As you can imagine, it adversely affected our level of service.

Finally, on the cruise before that, we had the priviledge of sitting with "that guy". You know the one; well on the way to being drunk, knows everything, talks constantly, etc. He was divorced and traveling with his teen son.

My GF and I rather get a table for 2. Unless we are traveling with family.

It's just easier for 2 since you can eat at your own speed and leave when you are done.

We have done a table bigger and it's fine but once in awhile you will get a couple that are very vocal and do nothing but talk about themselves the whole entire dinner...and it's usually about how many cruise they have been on and how big their suite is.

It's more peaceful with just the 2 of us!..unless you can pick the people you want to sit with.

We met alot of people by the pool and become friends but it's not like you change your tables 3 days into the cruise.

So rather just have a table for 2

Wow, so many different opinions expressed. Each well reasoned. If we have standard seating we opt for a two top. We have had mostly good to great table mates but one very bad table mate for a whole week was enough. Recently we have been opting for MTD. We can enjoy the company of others and if we don't like someone for some reason it's only for one night. And Bill squared, don't let others foolishness get you down. Those that care about your orientation don't matter, those that matter....don't care.

It's a toss up for me; Last cruise we ate (table for 4) with a very nice, fun couple. I thought it might be "awkward", but turned out well, as we had much in common (surprisingly to us). This next time we cruise, I am torn to be assigned to "whatever" and see what happens OR request a table for two. We are a bit "shy'; friendly but shy. My biggest inhibition, is that I want to try different foods; Perhaps two appetizers or main entrees, OR desserts just because I can and I enjoy trying new foods (especially when it's free). Hubby and I will order diff things and share, if we feel so inclined. It feels embarrassing, but also very rewarding : ) This is part of the fun we enjoy and look forward to, on our cruise.

So, if we call RCCL- close to sailing, will they tell us what we have (table wise)? I'd like to know what to expect, before we get there..... I figured we would give it a try the first night, and then do something different if we are too uncomfortable... Still, I can't stop thinking about that table for two!!!!!!

Hubby and I eat in the Dining Room whenever it is open for a meal, so we get in our 'social' time at lunch and breakfast. Dinner is for just us unless we are traveling with someone. We have enjoyed meeting interesting people during the earlier meals, but are never tied to table mates that might be less than pleasant!

We enjoy our dinner 'dates'!

Actually I was thinking about this. If we eat in the MDR for breakfast or lunch we would be seated with different people every time. I'm starting to like the idea of the table for just the 2 of us for dinner even if we have been eating together for 32 years. We're actually still in love and it would be romantic. There are plenty of times to be social with others on the ship. Again, love all the responses and stories from everyone.

We're sailing on March 8th on Granduer of the Seas. I am pretty sure when I made the reservation I requested a large table. I'm way more outgoing than my husband and I like to meet new people. Also after 32 years of eating with the same person I thought it would be nice to have other people to talk to at dinner. This is only our 3rd cruise. The 1st cruise we were seated with a nice elderly couple and their son who was around 40ish. The last cruise on Carnival we had 2 other couples at our table more our age and my husband really liked them especially when he found out one of the other men had a boat so they both had fishing in common. I was surprised when I recently called RC to ask a few questions and was told we have a table for 2. I'm trying to decide if we should keep it or give it up for a table of 6 or 8. I was thinking of seeing how it goes the first night and seeing if we can change it if we're lonely. I think one advantage would be faster service so we can get out when we're done and go to the shows. When I originally booked the cruise 2 years ago it was a 30th anniversary celebration. Had to postpone so now its anniversary and my husband just retired from 30 years in the Navy. I was wondering if they gave us the table for 2 because of our anniversary. Which do you prefer, table for 2 or a large table?

Have had most sizes of tables but found was left behind a lot with service on a table for two and ended up being served by the head waiter. Also had a table for 8 that went down to just two left on the table, they were both swingers and tried it on with the rest of us; but had a good laugh about it and moved.:D

Aww I am sorry to read that. How depressing, for anytime, but especially 2014. Too bad we are not cruising together, we'd be honored to have you gents at our table :)

We're sorry to hear this too .... we'd have been happy to share our dinner time with ya'll !!:)

We prefer a large table of 6-10 people. We have dinner at home with each other (DH and I) so, we like the company. Even if we have 2 people who are boring or braggerts, we still have a few others at the table. We have created some wonderful cruises with our new found friends.

I am outgoing, so the first night, I take the initiative and introduce us to everyone, and the conversation just 'gets going'.

You have plenty of time to chance your seating even BEFORE you cruise.

Send an email to rccldining@rccl.com. Include the ships name, and the date of your sailing along with your reservation. Ask for a table of 6-8, if that is what you decide on, and I am sure they can do it.

What's sad is that you know those folks who reserved the traditional seating knew they intended to eat in specialty resturants or in the buffet most nights.

It's a shame they just didn't switch to MTD if they knew they'd not be there more nights than not.:(

Manners and common courtesy are becoming lost "arts". :o

One could also argue that it's rude to take MTD, which is often oversubscribed, if one doesn't intend to dine in the MDR - I've been on plenty of ships where MTD was oversubscribed, and there were plenty of empty tables. RCI insists that every passenger have an MDR assignment, whether traditional or MTD.

I'd be happy to pick "none of the above" on some ships, but until that's an option, I risk getting somebody annoyed, whether it's because we don't go to our traditional table or don't go to the MDR when on MTD.

Bill-squared - I would be happy to share a table with you.

critterchick - I agree they need a none of the above. more than 1 person/family that planned not to eat in the dining room at night.

On this cruise MTD and early dining both had spaces and late seating was full. The thing that surprised me was when the matre'd checked they (2 couples and a party of 4) all said that they would not give up their seats at our table (he said he offered both early or MTD). We offered to become a "fill in" table a few minutes after dinner started but that was not allowed.

My wife perfers a table for 2 if we are traveling without friends or family, I like that but also like a bigger table, one of our best cruises we had a table fo 10 including one of the ships doctors and we all had a blast we would go to the shows together after dinner.

OMG you are making me flash back to our very first cruise in 1992. Majesty of the Seas - Southern Caribbean. We were at a table of 10 - we were in our mid-30's at the time, sitting with a pair of newlyweds, and some young couples with kids, and a couple celebrating 25 years marriage, and it was a blast, and on one of the formal nights the ships doctor sat at our table and it was so special - why out table was chosen I'll never know...but we all got along and it was fun and very memorable. We did excursions together, and we all bought group photos etc...It was so nice. I thought "if this is what cruisng is about - I'M IN". Great memories. 22nd cruise coming up April 6th-Allure! Thanks for the flash back.\ ;)

So, if we call RCCL- close to sailing, will they tell us what we have (table wise)? I'd like to know what to expect, before we get there..... I figured we would give it a try the first night, and then do something different if we are too uncomfortable... Still, I can't stop thinking about that table for two!!!!!!

You can try, but my experience has been to go to the dining room when you first get on and see if someone can show you where your table is and if it is for 6 or 8 or 10. It is best to visualize it. One year we got on the ship, and I had booked the cruise- like - 12 months in advance (unusual for us) and found that we were in a segregated room on the outskirts of the MDR with no ambiance, secluded, no atmosphere, BORING, and I was furious. NOPE :mad: not happy!...We asked for a table change and was HAPPILY PLACED right in the thick of things, next to the captains table and it was all good :) Sometimes you just don't know until you embark and see the big picture. You may not see your table mates but at least can see what else is around. Lately we've been happy just the 2 of us. Sometimes small talk just exhausts me :o