The Silence is Deafening.....CC Poll

Hlitner

The cheerleaders (including those who have not or will not cruise on another line) will be along in a minute to point out imagined flaws in the rating process. The fact is that other cruise lines do a better job of satisfying their customers than Holland America does.

Just wonder if any HAL fans have been going through the Cruise Critic Poll? The results are very interesting and not totally surprising to some of us.

Hank

Just got back after a 10 day H.A.L. cruise. Would love to take part. Where????

The results may surprise people who only cruise on HAL.

I do not think that people who regularly cruise on multiple cruise lines will be overly surprised by the results.

My only surprise was how often I saw Norwegian Sun in the results. We were on the ship year or so ago. If was a good cruise but not outstanding. Though it was the first time that DW and I had an issue with a cabin and we were surprised (very pleasantly) with the response and with the constant follow up by the front desk and by other ship's officers.

Edited by iancal

Just wonder if any HAL fans have been going through the Cruise Critic Poll? The results are very interesting and not totally surprising to some of us.

Hank

This is not a poll to begin with.

There are no "results".

Therefore there is no need to continue with any "conclusions".

LOL

Edited by cruisetrail

What Poll?

Probably this.

"Ratings" only say how expectations of let's say "target groups or most typical clientele" of a particular ship are met by this particular ship.

Therefore you can see 4.7 for the Carnival Liberty and 4.7 for the Allure of the Seas.

This is not ships comparison and cannot be considered as such.

In fact, in a real comparison - the Carnival Liberty is not remotely close to the Allure of the Seas in any aspect.

Hank

Poll?? It's not a poll, it's based on member reviews.

It's like the same number of Ford Focus owners compiling a better rating then the same number of Lexus or BMW owners. We know which vehicle is better despite the results.

Edited by kjw869

I view the scores more as a customer satisfaction score for a particular ship.

So, the comparison is really between how satisfied a customer was with service, décor, ship, what have you.

And it appears that of the people who completed the reviews, the satisfaction or scoring level in each category was generally much higher with other cruise lines than it was for those who cruised with HAL and completed a review on CC.

Having said that, I have absolutely NO DOUBT that if HAL ships had been in the top three or higher of every category there would have been many posts by now from the usual people congratulating HAL and pointing out why it is the best cruise line. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

As I see it -- those ratings are coming from "reviews" posted in another area of this cite.

Many of those people rarely post here.

Some of those people are first time HAL cruisers, some have never cruised before, and the list goes on.

I am not a HAL cheerleader and if I were to do reviews -- there would be some good reviews and some bad reviews.

I believe in telling it as I see it and what our experiences have been.

There are HAL cheerleaders that if they did write reviews in that section -- then HAL's ratings would be higher as nothing ever seems to go wrong on their cruises and if it did -- they would never admit it.

That must be it...

-people who experienced great cruises on HAL did not do a CC review and rate the ship

-people that experienced poor cruises on other cruise lines did not do a CC review and rate the ship.

OR

-the only people who did a CC review of a HAL ship were people who either had a bad experience or simply did not like HAL

-the only people who did CC reviews of other ships were the people who were very happy with their cruise or people who did not know any better.

Does that about cover it?

HAL is a business, not my best friend. That said we have found that HAL cruises suit US better than the other lines we have been on. Frankly, we could care less what a bunch of anonymous reviews have to say.

I do take into account what many of the long term posters on this board have to say, especially those that I perceive do not have an axe to grind.

Actually, it does not stretch credibility to say that in many cases complainers make a lot more noise than satisfied people. How often do we see a first time poster come here to rave about their wonderful cruise? How often do we see a first time poster come here to complain?

I find it no surprise to see the Oasis and Allure bringing in high numbers. Why??

(A) Because these two ships carry nearly twice the passengers and therefore generate more reviews in a given time period, and

(B) If you've ever experienced the RCCL board here on Cruise Critic, you would know that it is dominated by cheerleaders

I find the whole discussion of "which line is better" to be quite pointless. It is whatever line best fits your expectations that makes it the right choice for you. For us, we have sailed many (less NCL), and have generally had a great time. I like that we have a broader perspective than most who stick to just one line. Our current preference is Celebrity, but we will sail on any line that provides me with a good itinerary at a good price.