How do I prevent unauthorized entry to my room on Princess?

Loreni

At a hotel I can use a deadbolt and/or chain. Princess doors don't have this.

Why would I need less security at sea?

Or put another way, why would Princess employees need more access to my room than hotel employees?

Do hotels provide these security features because they have more legal liability, while ships provide less expensive door locks because they are not governed by the same laws? I don't know, I am just trying to understand why such a difference exists.

I have read that there are kits I can buy that will secure my door when I am in the room? Is this true? How does it work.

I am thinking of these things because of the news story about the HAL passenger. Of course, deadbolts, chains, or an add-on kit wouldn't have helped in her situation because the HAL employee entered her room when she wasn't there. He then hid on her balcony. Still if there is a way to improve my security with a simple kit, I might try it.

I know that usually our cabin stewards will remind us to use the "Do not disturb" or "please make up our cabin" signs. If we forget, our stewards will knock first (and I've seen that for other cabins as we've walked down the hallway). If you have a steward that forgets, remind them it can be embarrassing for you both...and have a word with the front desk if this becomes problematic.

I would rather not defeat the deadbolt (use door stoppers, etc) just in case I'm alone in my cabin and something bad happens.

If there is a ship emergency or you have a medical emergency and crew cannot get into your cabin you put yourself at risk. Don't expect someone to break down your cabin door.

As has been discussed before on this forum, the deadbolts on Princess' ships can be overridden by the steward's pass key. When in the room, use of the DND sign is helpful, but won't work if childish pranksters remove or flip the card. Neither will it stop a determined maniac as on HAL.

A small rubber doorstop will prevent accidental entry; it won't stop the homicidal maniac but could prove to be a delay in the case of an emergency. I guess you just have to decide which event is more likely to happen to you and act accordingly.

The crime would not made a difference if you have wedges, deadbolt or chain.

He entered when the room was unoccupied, you need to be aware of your surroundings. Leave the curtains open to allow blind spots to be seen. Regardless if somone wants to hide in the room, they will find a way.

Best advice, dont be rude for no reason. I have seen vacationors or hotel guests think they are gods in their rooms and treat staff like slaves. A major problem in the hospitality fields.

And given that the stewards have the tools available to open balcony dividers (a large hex key on most ships) and balcony doors from the outside....

At a certain point, you have to judge the probability of an action versus the precautions necessary to avoid it.

The topic is "how do I prevent unauthorized entry..."

If you accept the Passage Contract, you accept Section 13 which states:

You agree Carrier has, at all times with or without notice, the right to enter and search Your stateroom, personal safe or storage spaces, or to search You, Your baggage and/or personal effects at any location.

Which means there is no such thing as unauthorized entry by Carrier (Princess employees).

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

I did not hear what happened on HAL? A cruise employee hid on the balcony?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A crew member thought she had insulted him. He hid on her balcony when she was out. When she returned, he attacked her (may have raped her, don't recall) and tried to throw her off the balcony.

He is on his way to jail, the FBI got involved.

You agree Carrier has, at all times with or without notice, the right to enter and search Your stateroom, personal safe or storage spaces, or to search You, Your baggage and/or personal effects at any location.

Which means there is no such thing as unauthorized entry by Carrier (Princess employees).

This would sum it up in a nutshell.

Why so different from a hotel? I was at a Marriott last month and there was a device in the door that would prevent anyone from entering the room. It wasn't a chain. I don't know exactly what it is called. Why is this available at hotels, but not on a shop? Hotels can have fires too, so that may not be the reason. Of course a fire at sea is potentially worse. So is this the reason why our cabins need to be less secure?

Why so different from a hotel? I was at a Marriott last month and there was a device in the door that would prevent anyone from entering the room. It wasn't a chain. I don't know exactly what it is called. Why is this available at hotels, but not on a shop? Hotels can have fires too, so that may not be the reason. Of course a fire at sea is potentially worse. So is this the reason why our cabins need to be less secure?

Whatever is on the door the hotel willl have a tool to defeat it.

A crew member thought she had insulted him.

So he says. But I am not inclined to take his word. After all, a rapist and would-be-murderer might also be a liar. Anyway, I will not blame the victim for this.

Edited by Loreni

Whatever is on the door the hotel willl have a tool to defeat it.

I guess this is true. These things may provide a false sense of security. But they might also buy us enough time to make a phone call for help and prepare to defend ourselves.

So, they can enter in the middle of the night and search you.

As has been discussed before on this forum, the deadbolts on Princess' ships can be overridden by the steward's pass key. When in the room, use of the DND sign is helpful, but won't work if childish pranksters remove or flip the card. Neither will it stop a determined maniac as on HAL.

A small rubber doorstop will prevent accidental entry; it won't stop the homicidal maniac but could prove to be a delay in the case of an emergency. I guess you just have to decide which event is more likely to happen to you and act accordingly.

The stewards key can't bypass the deadbolt, there is a metal key that must be used to open the deadbolt. Their electronic key is only for their floor as well. You will see the traditional keyhole under the handle. Access is VERY controlled to this key, room stewards don't have access to it.

The stewards key can't bypass the deadbolt, there is a metal key that must be used to open the deadbolt. Their electronic key is only for their floor as well. You will see the traditional keyhole under the handle. Access is VERY controlled to this key, room stewards don't have access to it.

Yes, its a HK masterkey.

That's true and also goes for the balcony dividers too. From what I understand, they have to get that key from a supervisor. At least that's what we've been told over the years.

OP, you're not going to be able to prevent a person with negative intentions from entering your room, but you CAN do some things to slow him down so you have a little extra time to react.

I believe that stewards only have access to the rooms they are caring for, and not the whole corridor or deck level.

I discovered, upon returning to my cabin on a recent cruise,that I had apparently misplaced my key card. My steward was not anywhere to be found in that group of cabins, but I happened to notice the steward for the next group of cabins was in the corridor, and he was someone I had chatted with a few times so he recognized me. I asked if he would open my cabin door so I could check to see if I had left my 'key" on my desk. He stated apologetically that he was unable to do so because his key card worked for only 'his" cabins.