Pizza on Princess vs real Italian

hsaroya

One of the things my family is looking forward to the most on our Aug Med cruise is trying out pizza and gelato in every Italian port, particularly in Venice where we will be for 2 nights. I absolutely love the pizza on Princess and have yet to try the new Alfredo's on Royal/Regal.

For those of you who've had pizza on the Royals Alfredo's and in Italy, how do the two compare?

For those of you who've had pizza on the Royals Alfredo's and in Italy, how do the two compare?

Our experience is that the pizza at Prego on Lido Deck is much better than at Alfredo's. It's an opinion that appears to be shared by others here on CC. Try both and decide for yourself.

Consider Da Michele in Naples...

Lew

Our experience is that the pizza at Prego on Lido Deck is much better than at Alfredo's. It's an opinion that appears to be shared by others here on CC. Try both and decide for yourself.

Ditto

I haven't sailed on the Royal (at least the new one) but IMHO the pizzeria at the sit down pizzeria on any of the ships is far better than the one on the Lido deck. This is the first time I've heard anyone claim the poolside pizza was better.

I haven't sailed on the Royal (at least the new one) but IMHO the pizzeria at the sit down pizzeria on any of the ships is far better than the one on the Lido deck. This is the first time I've heard anyone claim the poolside pizza was better.

I agree! :)

Having had Naples style pizza in both Naples and Venice, in multiple locations, Alfredo's on the Grand comes the closest to me. The pizzeria has too much sauce compared to the pizzas I've had in Italy. Italian style pizza concentrates on the flavor of the crust and the pizza dough in Naples tastes second to none - probably because of the mother and the bacteria in the air. (Hey San Francisco sourdough tastes like no other!)

Now don't get me wrong, I love the deck pizza, but I gotta admit the Pizza in Italy is very special.

Looking forward to trying the pizza on the Royal in 3 weeks. I was fortunate to go to Venice last year and had pizza there. It was excellent, wish I had tried it in Naples but we did a tour of the Amalfi coast and time didn't allow for it.

Pizza at Prego, Pizza at Alfredo's - depends upon the chef as to which is better. Best Princess Pizza I ever had - and it has all been very good to excellent - was on the Tahitian (now the Ocean) and the chef was a gentleman from Hoboken. He knew his pizza - wow!

Pizza at Prego, Pizza at Alfredo's - depends upon the chef as to which is better. Best Princess Pizza I ever had - and it has all been very good to excellent - was on the Tahitian (now the Ocean) and the chef was a gentleman from Hoboken. He knew his pizza - wow!

Hoboken! Imagine that. :)

Naples pizza is universally great. Princess pizza is universally good. Venice pizza is not anything to write home about!!!!!

A whole pizza in Naples 3 to 4 euro. On Princess, free. Bad pizza in Venice is what the tourist will pay, but more than a few Euros a slice.

Consider Da Michele in Naples...

Lew

Agree but only if it is fresh out of the oven...when it has been sitting around the crust gets very hard.

We loved the other menu items at Alfredo's on the Royal...the salads, the ravioli, the eggplant and the dessert. The pizza was good and I liked the variety of toppings, but I like the thinner crust at Prego's better.

I found the gelato better at the various ports in Italy. Since there was pizza on the ship, when eating ashore we ate other things,

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Naples pizza is universally great. Princess pizza is universally good. Venice pizza is not anything to write home about!!!!!

A whole pizza in Naples 3 to 4 euro. On Princess, free. Bad pizza in Venice is what the tourist will pay, but more than a few Euros a slice.

We've had excellent and disappointing pizza in Naples...same in Venice.

Lew

Pizzeria Columbus in Mestre. Tasted even better than it looks!

IMG_1727_zps53d948a4.jpg

The price of pizza is very reasonable.

IMG_0440_zps714eaef6.jpg

Best pizza in Venice can be found around Campo Santa Margherita and the surrounding streets. This is where locals grab pizza by the slice and you will stumble upon it walking from Accademia towards Piazzale Roma. In Naples, there is good pizza directly across from the cruise terminal at Pizzeria Castel St Angelo plus all the well known places further away like Da Michele, Trianon and Di Matteo.

Edited by movc

if you are looking for the authentic italian pizza, you have to try it in Naples. Venice pizza is good, but Naples is really good.

Exactly. You can't say 'pizza in Italy', because it varies from region to region. The home of pizza is Naples.

if you are looking for the authentic italian pizza, you have to try it in Naples. Venice pizza is good, but Naples is really good.

Naples is credited by Italians as the creator of pizza, Naples style is made with thin dough versus Sicilian style with more dough & if you have a slice that is not light to the taste its not good. I agree that on the Royal the pizza on the Lido has become better than in Alfredo`s. My first time on Royal in Nov., on Lido 2 Asians were making a horrible pie, since I have been on Royal twice & with different preparers it is back to Princess goodness.

Guess I must be one of those in the minority. I like the pool side pizza far better then Alfredo's .

Add me to that list too. We tried Alfredo's on the Sapphire and neither of us liked it. I could not not even talk my better half to try it again last week on the Coral.

The best pizza is made in Jersey :D;)

Them's fightin words Mam!:eek: At least in NYC and Chicago. We really enjoyed the pizza on Star. In fact, one night when we were overdone with food, we had pizza delivered to the room and had pizza and a movie night.:D

I love the pizza in Alfredos and on the Sun Class pizzerias. Lido deck is hit or miss IMO.

I haven't had any pizza in the US that resembles what I ate in Rome at various places. The sauce was much thinner and had few toppings on it. Wonderful but different.