Pizza on Princess vs real Italian

hsaroya

I think many folks don't like the choices of the Alfredo's pizza - It is, in my opinion though, better than the Lido pizza if you like the toppings. Closer (but not that close) to real Italian pizza that the lido.

Every ship I've been on Alfredos has been happy to make a pizza to what I want as long as they have the ingredients. Not so up on the Lido deck, its take what they have that day

I have always liked the Pregos pizza on Princess ships. I would say it is most like NY/NJ style pizza. However, since sailing on the Royal and experiencing Alfredo's, I think it is more like pizza I have had in Italy and now prefer it over Pregos. Until you have had pizza in Italy with crisp thin crust and hot dogs and French fries for toppings you have not lived! Haha! Not my idea of toppings but the kids in Italy seem to love it!

We had really excellent pizza at Cafe Corniche on Sea Princess. We had truly bad pizza at Prego's on Star Princess. I'm hoping Alfredo's on Grand Princess will be good.

Guess I must be one of those in the minority. I like the pool side pizza far better then Alfredo's .

Agree. Love Alfredos, but not chewy enough and underdone in the center of the pizza. Perhaps the ovens are not hot enough at Alfredos.(?)

I haven't sailed on the Royal (at least the new one) but IMHO the pizzeria at the sit down pizzeria on any of the ships is far better than the one on the Lido deck. This is the first time I've heard anyone claim the poolside pizza was better.

That's been our experience. Friends just off the Royal loved the Alfredo's pizza. We are eager to try this as well, but we love the Lido deck pizza and a bucket of beer.

We just got off the Grand and weren't really impressed with Alfredo's (although it always smells heavenly). Crust was okay, but the sauce was too sweet and there was a little too much of it. In Rome our favorite place for pizza is Est! Est! Est! But I can only say that if you are comparing Princess pizza to Italian pizza eat the Princess pizza first, because nothing can really compare to the Italian pizzas!

I have always liked the Pregos pizza on Princess ships. I would say it is most like NY/NJ style pizza. However, since sailing on the Royal and experiencing Alfredo's, I think it is more like pizza I have had in Italy and now prefer it over Pregos.

I agree. While we enjoyed the pizza at Alfredo's on the Sapphire Princess, Alfredo's pizza on the Royal was even better! We enjoyed it so much that we went 3 times. We had Pregos pizza on the Ruby last month and there was no comparison - we only went once.

Our experience is that the pizza at Prego on Lido Deck is much better than at Alfredo's. It's an opinion that appears to be shared by others here on CC. Try both and decide for yourself.

Consider Da Michele in Naples...

Lew

I agree.

On the whole, we felt the Royal to be very disappointing. Too big. too crowded and too disorganized.

• 3 weeks later...

Been on the Grand for 17 days now, heading out for another 15 to HI. We've had pizza about 6 or 7 times now. No disappointments. They now have pepperoni in Alfredos, so Judy orders the Zen pizza - 'one with everything...'. There is none I don't like.

Having had pizza in Naples and Venice (and it was not by the slice, it was a house pie in a restaurant back in the back alleys) in November last year, the comparisons are:

1 - Alfredo's uses more sauce and cheese

2 - The crust is about the same thickness, but it isn't cooked to the same consistency. The outer edge is crispy, the middle underdone a bit. Maybe because of the use of an electric oven?

3 - The flavor of the crust is different. Now that's true everywhere as Venice crust tasted different from Naples crust, but there is flavor there.

4 - Alfredos pizza with a Blue Moon. That is a great combination...