Sunscreen for bald heads.

runner2013

Hi all,

I have a bit of a strange question(or at least I think others might think it is). My boyfriend and I are cruising the end of March to the Caribbean from Florida, he is bald and always worries about burning his head. He does wear baseball caps with suncreen for protection but I'd like to see him occasionally leave the cap behind (or at least under the chair)if we are by the pool relaxing. Aside from the mass market sunscreens you can get at any CVS or drugstore has anyone found something made specifically for shaved heads he can use(obviously applying several times throughout the day) and not have that feeling every minute he is exposed he is burning up?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Allow the poor guy to dress himself. If he wants to wear a hat or ball cap then let him. There is a reason why dermatologists all recommend wearing a hat when outside. For everyone, not just bald guys. Its called skin cancer prevention. A hat with an all around brim that also shades the ears would be even better.

Allow the poor guy to dress himself. If he wants to wear a hat or ball cap then let him. There is a reason why dermatologists all recommend wearing a hat when outside. For everyone, not just bald guys. Its called skin cancer prevention. A hat with an all around brim that also shades the ears would be even better.

I don't need to 'allow my guy to dress himself" he is a grown man!!! he is perfectly capable of taking care of himself. I was just trying to be a nice person...I care about him getting a burn and then having to suffer through it for the rest of the trip.....and I am well aware of what skin cancer and prevention is...

Thank you anyways

I don't need to 'allow my guy to dress himself" he is a grown man!!! he is perfectly capable of taking care of himself. I was just trying to be a nice person...I care about him getting a burn and then having to suffer through it for the rest of the trip.....and I am well aware of what skin cancer and prevention is...

Thank you anyways

I'd like to see him occasionally leave the cap behind (or at least under the chair)if we are by the pool relaxing.

Then why are you discouraging him from wearing his hat? Its a much better way of preventing sunburn than just using sun screen.

Edited by mom says

Then why are you discouraging him from wearing his hat? Its a much better way of preventing sunburn than just using sun screen.

I'm not discouraging him from wearing it, he is more concerned about it blowing off and hitting someone else or falling overboard. If he can move about the ship without it then it's just one less thing he needs to pay attention to.

Any brand of sunscreen will do....I'd go with something for faces, since that usually is less greasy feeling. There's nothing wrong with drugstore brands! Higher cost does NOT mean it works better! Go by SPF...and get what feels and smells good to you!

Yes, sun on bald heads does feel hotter than the rest of the body because the blood passing through the brain gets hotter. The skin on the head doesn’t suffer any differently than the rest of the body, it just being fooled. But bald guys do have higher risk of heat related ailments because their brain doesn’t have any insulation protection from the sun. As a melanoma cancer survivor and an avid outdoors person, I have grown quite use to sun screens and clothing protection. What I suggest for the bald head is a non oily sunscreen that doesn’t run into the eyes with sweat. Most sports sunscreens are dry a few moments after they are applied. He will likely get much hotter than you more quickly, so eventually your husband will either want (need) to move in the shade near you (which is what I do), or cover the head.

Burt

I meant no disrespect to the drugstore brands.. I tend to gravitate towards those first and was thought maybe I was overlooking something that was a bit more difficult to find is all. :)

Never thought about the effects on the brain for a person without hair. He does tend to give up on the sun much faster than I do, maybe his brain is too hot?:confused:

Thanks for the info i'll definately keep it in mind.

As someone who is losing my hair gradually and lives in Florida, going out in the sun feels hotter than it used to. So I always wear a hat if out for long periods of time. Without the hat, I'd be out in the sun for short periods of time.

I was amazed to find how much my bald head sweated when in the sun. I rarely ever sweat in heat but I'd find my head sopping wet and the sun screen getting all goopy. I definitely recommend a hat for that reason.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by sherilyn70

Hi all,

I have a bit of a strange question(or at least I think others might think it is). My boyfriend and I are cruising the end of March to the Caribbean from Florida, he is bald and always worries about burning his head. He does wear baseball caps with suncreen for protection but I'd like to see him occasionally leave the cap behind (or at least under the chair)if we are by the pool relaxing. Aside from the mass market sunscreens you can get at any CVS or drugstore has anyone found something made specifically for shaved heads he can use(obviously applying several times throughout the day) and not have that feeling every minute he is exposed he is burning up?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Tell him to leave the hat on. He does not want to deal with skin cancer of the scalp in later years. That is what my husband is currently dealing with. So far every sore that has been biopsied is basal cell cancer and needs further treatment. Not fun.

Your guy needs to wear a hat in the sun. Maybe a brimmed one that has a strap for windy days?

Edited by NMLady

Tell him to leave the hat on. He does not want to deal with skin cancer of the scalp in later years. That is what my husband is currently dealing with. So far every sore that has been biopsied is basal cell cancer and needs further treatment. Not fun.

Your guy needs to wear a hat in the sun. Maybe a brimmed one that has a strap for windy days?

NMLady, my prayers and best wishes go out to you and your husband. After reading your post along with many of the others on here I will definitely rethink how I approach this situation..

I do like the idea of a brimmed hat with a strap in place of a regular baseball cap. We'll have to do some shopping before we go.

Thanks again everyone :D

He needs a hat that will cover his ears as well.

A Panama or maybe a boonie.

Here's a precaution. Don't let a sunscreen sweat into your eyes. This is a bad news event. I've done it after screening my forehead with subsequent sweat into my eyes. I got iritis. Trust me, you don't want it.

something I'm an expert on..

this No-Ad Sunblock works as good as any of the brand name brands. I use the kids as it's suppose to last longer when sweating.. No matter what sun block he uses he needs to reapply it at much shorter intervals then recommended. During the mid-day sun let him have his hat.

611X56G%2B3QL._SL1500_.jpg

or you could get him something like this.. :-)

51XJYCUSr%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

@everyone giving relationship and life advice

Wow some of you people are harsh.

Someone asks for advice on a good sunscreen for her boyfriend and you give her a hard time on whether she should be doing it or not.

@runner2013

I have a balding head, rest I keep in a crew-cut, I use

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Lotion SPF30+

it is a very light spray so does not feel greasy on my head, I use it on my face as well.

All the best

This is a very good product for men with thinning hair as well. :)

When snorkeling, swimming, etc. there's no way to wear a hat.

LuLu

~~~

That is exactly right, I spend a lot of time snorkeling, so a burned head is a real concern. I will give this product a try.

Burt