dress shorts

If you are using RCCL because of their dress code suggestions, you are missing alot of other great reasons to go Royal. How is me wearing a nice, new , pair of pleated and hemmed shorts with clean tennis shoes, deck shoes or dockers in the dining room going to ruin your' cruise ? I can't imagine something so trivial good get me so butt hurt as to let it ruin my vacation, that I paid lots of money for !!

I do not understand why it is a problem to pack slacks? Could

You explain? I am being sincere and just want to understand this issue and why people feel so passionate about this topic

I guess you have never been to a country club.

If you know the history of shorts, you'd understand that they were originally considered a form of athletic wear, and thus had their place as acceptable at country clubs, because people would go from the tennis courts and golf courses to the dining room.

Hyperbole alert! No one said it would "ruin their dinner." Posters are (correctly) called out for telling posters that formal night dress code suggestions are actually requirements, because they're not. It's just as incorrect to tell posters that shorts are allowed, because they're not. Will they be turned away at the entrance? Maybe, maybe not. Will you be stopped for going 80 in a 55 zone? Will you be caught walking out of a store with items you didn't purchase? Maybe, maybe not.

The factual answer to the question asked by the OP is simple & straightforward. RCCL does not allow shorts in the MDR for dinner.

Perfectly put. Alas, I don't think the OP cares nor do I understand why she started this thread in the first place when she has determined it's all about her anyway.

Can anyone tell me if men can wear dress shorts in the dining room. We are going on fos in April from the USA. It will be hot and I doubt my 12 year old will have trousers with him or my husband. I know it was allowed in Europe a few yrs ago. But not sure about there. Thanks.

Agree with previous posters - shorts are not allowed in the main dining room (according to RC posted rules) however people often wear them and "get away with it." Have also seen many people turned away and told to go change - it is your choice.

Having said that - be aware that they may be asked to change and would hopefully have long pants to change in to. Your posting indicates they will not be bringing trousers - quite honestly, it is not that hot - especially in air conditioning. Even flying on some aircraft can be cool - can't imagine not at least having a pair of long pants along on a trip.

Also, assume you know that if your son and husband wish to try ice skating on board they are definitely required to wear long pants - and that is strictly adhered to.

I do not understand why it is a problem to pack slacks? Could

You explain? I am being sincere and just want to understand this issue and why people feel so passionate about this topic

Didn't wear shorts in MDR on last cruise ( our first ) and didn't say I would this time. Was just making a statement about the issue due to the comment made. I take slacks, jeans, and a suit when I cruise. People will decide on their own what rules they will break and which ones they will follow on their own, regardless of what someone on here says. Not so much on this thread, but on others, I just can't believe how "status " causes someone to act. " I'm Pinnacle and I deserve more than you." " I'm Diamond Plus and I shouldn't have to wait in line." No one here was born from a gold plated womb. Wish they would do away with all the different levels and make everyone play on a level field.

The suggestions for formal night are indeed suggestions. The prohibition against shorts however, IS a hard and fast rule. Like most rules or laws, some consider themselves to be above the rules and willingly flaunt them. As with any rule or law - you may or may not be "caught" but if you wear shorts for dinner in the MDR, you are definitely breaking a rule, not a suggestion.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Very few rules on Royal Caribbean are hard and fast, including the one about shorts in the MDR for dinner.

If you know the history of shorts, you'd understand that they were originally considered a form of athletic wear, and thus had their place as acceptable at country clubs, because people would go from the tennis courts and golf courses to the dining room.

And if you are a member you also have a locker in the dressing room. Where you can change into long pants. Why would you have to go straight to the dinning room? Wouldn't you want to shower first? Wouldn't you find that more offensive than wearing shorts? Don't lecture me on the history of shorts. I for one am soooo fed up with the people on here who think they know EVERYTHING!

I was on the Freedom of the Seas in both May and December last year. We saw shorts and jeans in the main dining room on men almost every night. My husband kept asking me why I would not let him wear his shorts because others were doing it. I even saw a woman on formal night come in with jeans and a man's graphic t-shirt. She was not turned away but certainly looked out of place.

I'm not sure what "dress" shorts are (maybe not all wrinkled and sweat stained from wearing all day) but as long as you wear a sparkly top you should be good to go. :rolleyes:

Just like I don't understand what "dress jeans" are. But sparkly tops always help. :rolleyes:

Very few rules on Royal Caribbean are hard and fast, including the one about shorts in the MDR for dinner.

Arguing for the sake of arguing? It's a written rule. It's not optional, it's not suggested, it's not requested. It's stated that shorts are not allowed - on the website, and on signs at the MDR entrance. OK? :rolleyes:

Arguing for the sake of arguing? It's a written rule. It's not optional, it's not suggested, it's not requested. It's stated that shorts are not allowed - on the website, and on signs at the MDR entrance. OK? :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for settling this. All RCI rules are to be followed to the letter. No exceptions. It must be nice to be so black and white. We can all learn a valuable lesson from you.

So no shorts ever ... By men or women ... Children or toddlers (except possibly on embarkation day). :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much for settling this. All RCI rules are to be followed to the letter. No exceptions. It must be nice to be so black and white. We can all learn a valuable lesson from you.

So no shorts ever ... By men or women ... Children or toddlers (except possibly on embarkation day). :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I said nothing about following or not following. I've stated absolutely nothing but facts. The facts are simple, it's a published & clearly stated rule.

But thanks for joining the hyperbole brigade... :rolleyes:

I said nothing about following or not following. I've stated absolutely nothing but facts. The facts are simple, it's a published & clearly stated rule.

But thanks for joining the hyperbole brigade... :rolleyes:

Oh I sincerely apologize. I thought when you quoted policy you were implying that all published and clearly stated rules should be followed with no exceptions. Obviously my mistake.

It may be a rule, but it's not a hard and fast rule. If it were, it would not be routinely ignored on the first night, frequently ignored on the last night, and only enforced semi-regularly on other nights.

My observation about sailing Royal Caribbean has been that about the only hard and fast rules are ones required by law, health and safety. For everything else they tend to prefer not upsetting the passenger to strict enforcement.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It may be a rule, but it's not a hard and fast rule. If it were, it would not be routinely ignored on the first night, frequently ignored on the last night, and only enforced semi-regularly on other nights.

My observation about sailing Royal Caribbean has been that about the only hard and fast rules are ones required by law, health and safety. For everything else they tend to prefer not upsetting the passenger to strict enforcement.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Gotcha, according to your argument speed limits aren't hard and fast rules either. Because if they were, they wouldn't be enforced only semi-regularly... :rolleyes:

If you are using RCCL because of their dress code suggestions, you are missing alot of other great reasons to go Royal. How is me wearing a nice, new , pair of pleated and hemmed shorts with clean tennis shoes, deck shoes or dockers in the dining room going to ruin your' cruise ? I can't imagine something so trivial good get me so butt hurt as to let it ruin my vacation, that I paid lots of money for !!

I would reply if I could understand what you wrote.:D

WOW.. 45 post in under 4 hours.

basically you can wear whatever you want in the MDR every night of the cruise. I would rather sit with someone in clean pressed shorts and a polo. then some of the old folks dressed in a shirt that should have been thrown away years ago and long pants several sizes too small. slobbering and grunting. other then some of the folks on CC no one really gives a rat's butt. no, cut offs with a wife beater tee is not what I'm talking about. why the CC police expect people to wear long pants and dress shirts in the caribbean always mazes me.

I question why so many spend their time looking under the tables..

Edited by Sherlock43031

why the CC police expect people to wear long pants and dress shirts in the caribbean always mazes me.

I question why so many spend their time looking under the tables..

For the same reason that you wear long pants and a dress shirt to a nice restaurant in Florida in the middle of July.

Why don't we spin the question around? What's so hard about dressing appropriately for any particular dining venue? And I'm not talking about just on a cruise ship.

It seems to me that the answer to that question is "Because I don't want to", which is bad enough coming from my 4 year old, let alone a grown adult.

For the same reason that you wear long pants and a dress shirt to a nice restaurant in Florida in the middle of July.

Why don't we spin the question around? What's so hard about dressing appropriately for any particular dining venue? And I'm not talking about just on a cruise ship.

It seems to me that the answer to that question is "Because I don't want to", which is bad enough coming from my 4 year old, let alone a grown adult.

Haha, typical Sherlock post, hadn't seen it, he's typically so outlandish I put him on ignore. It's not "the CC police" it's RCCL who clearly state, in multiple places, a prohibition against shorts. 4 year old actions indeed!

Just like I don't understand what "dress jeans" are. But sparkly tops always help. :rolleyes:

I don't think I've ever seen a man wear a sparkly top. But if the OP is also wondering if dress shorts for herself would be acceptable, wearing a bikini top would help as well, nobody would be looking at her shorts.

As some others have said, I think "dress shorts" is an oxymoron. Sure, you can call them "nice shorts", but "dress" shorts to me implies a man's pair of slacks that is hemmed at the knees (which I've never seen except on maybe Pharrell), since "dress pants" to me imply nice slacks. Dockers or khakis in my opinion are "casual" pants. Other types of shorts: Cargo shorts, Athletic shorts, Swimming trunks.

As with any "can I wear ___" in the dining room, in the end, people will wear whatever they want and despite what many many people will say, what they wear will not impact significantly the cruise experience of others.

The rules (not suggestions) say no shorts and children should follow the same dress code as adults. I don't understand why people have to be so self-absorbed and disrespectful that they can't respect such a simple rule. If your husband and son can't bring themselves to wear long pants for a couple of hours (and the MDR is usually cold), there's always the buffet. First night is usually exempted since some have boot yet received their luggage.

Below is what I just cut and pasted from the Royal Caribbean website about their dress suggestions for the various types of nights on a cruise. Note that it says 'suggested guidelines'. I did not change their wording, just cut and pasted it below. They are not 'rules' but suggested guidelines.

"Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women"