So many elites, I pretended to be blue

Sitmar Lady

I sailed on Sitmar in the 70's too! Was helpful in attaining my much maligned elite status (haha). The "small area" where we used curling irons and hair dryers was the laundry room. :D

Gosh, I remember doing that too on the earlier Sitmar cruises. Later, like on Fairsky ( became Sky Princess), we could do it in our cabins. What a luxury that seemed to us at the time. :D

LuLu

~~~

I actually prefer Celebrity's system and find it much more fair to be awarded points based on number of days cruising and cabin choice.

At least one cruise line has another twist to it.

Unless you sail X cruises over the past Y years, you lose your status and must earn it over again.

The difference between people from new money and old money? The disgusting people of the masses?

I hope I am reading some of this thread wrong, because I don't even know what to say.

I concur.

The difference between people from new money and old money? The disgusting people of the masses?

I hope I am reading some of this thread wrong, because I don't even know what to say.

I couldn't agree more. Sadly, I fear we are not reading it wrong at all. It seems that people can comment negatively on people who have Elite-itis at the same time they look down on how they achieved Elite status.

Don't let this discussion scare you. 99.99% of the folks on board are nice and friendly - it's just that we tend to remember the ones who aren't.

That's the difference. You see, I can remember hundreds of acts of kindnesses on the part of passengers and crew, and none of the nasty stuff.

I actually prefer Celebrity's system and find it much more fair to be awarded points based on number of days cruising and cabin choice.
We were fortunate to have our Celebrity cruises transition to the new system in a way that earned us more points than we would have received for our cabin categories. Celebrity is becoming our distant third choice behind Princess and HAL. Once we hit Elite on Princess after next week's cruise, booking on HAL becomes less attractive. Eventually, though, we will sail with HAL again for an itinerary that Princess doesn't offer, such as Canada/New England in the spring like we did last year. And I'll look at what Celebrity is offering for DH's break schedule and compare the value (price, perks, etc.) before booking. Edited by geoherb

Hi Fellow Floaters! I just disembarked today on the Sapphire Princess 10 day Sea of Cortez cruise to Mexico and had one of the BEST cruises EVER and I mean it was really fantastic! The food was great, the entertainment was over the top (I'm still giggling over Albert and Seymore) and the DJ Mateo made being out by the pool a wonderful experience once again. One issue. There were over 600 Elites on board and let me say that some were quite arrogant to say the least. So much so that I wanted to change my black card to a blue one because I didn't want to be associated with such a demanding group. It makes me think that starting a higher category for perhaps 500 plus days or more would be a good idea to calm them down a bit. Boy did I witness some scenes. On a lighter note, Loretto and LaPaz were great additions to the Mexican Itinerary! I hope Princess adds more of these 10 day'ers to the schedule!

Were all the TVs working and did they have movies on demand yet? How about the service and changes being made for the Asian market?

Sadly, an even easier way is to go on Ebay and buy a black card to hang on your lanyard and flash at people.

I cannot believe people get so worked up over this status thing. The perks are nice, but hardly define my cruise experience.

People actually do this?? OMG!

I couldn't agree more. Sadly, I fear we are not reading it wrong at all. It seems that people can comment negatively on people who have Elite-itis at the same time they look down on how they achieved Elite status.

That would be like Thurston Howell III looking down on Kanye.

People actually do this?? OMG!

You'd be surprised at the sh... er ... stuff people try to sell on eBay. Here's the result of a search for Princess Cruise Line

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Princess-Cruise-Line-/165751/i.html

You can get status cards, captains circle pins, old catalogs, DVDs, playing cards. You name it. The craziest thing I saw going through the listings was someone asking $17.00 for one colored/numbered debarkation luggage tag! With the string, no less!!!

Why take 15 cruises to get your Elite Captains Circle pin, when you can pay $9.00 and get your very own from eBay?

Wow!

There is no "achievement" in this perceived "status." These are loyalty programs that every company has and the more you buy, the more benefits you get - that's all. I've been on many cruises (my second on Princess coming up) and I've never seen anyone act out because they had a "frequent shopper card" (so to speak). And, quite frankly, it would be laughable (and quite pathetic) if I ever do.

You'd be surprised at the sh... er ... stuff people try to sell on eBay. Here's the result of a search for Princess Cruise Line

You can get status cards, captains circle pins, old catalogs, DVDs, playing cards. You name it. The craziest thing I saw going through the listings was someone asking $17.00 for one colored/numbered debarkation luggage tag! With the string, no less!!!

Why take 15 cruises to get your Elite Captains Circle pin, when you can pay $9.00 and get your very own from eBay?

Wow!

I took a look and I couldn't believe my eyes! They are actually selling the cheesy blue tote bags. :eek:

Wow!

Just checked EB and saw every level of card listed except the black cards; darn.....:D:(:D

Bob

I took a look and I couldn't believe my eyes! They are actually selling the cheesy blue tote bags. :eek:

What really cracks me up is when you see things for sale that are obviously stolen. Cocktail menus anyone?

Were all the TVs working and did they have movies on demand yet? How about the service and changes being made for the Asian market?
The new larger TVs are all installed and working... sort of. The technicians were working on replacing the cable boxes with the new ones. If you had an old box, you had TV. If yours was updated, nothing worked or it worked for a few minutes on and off. Not even the bridge cam, music or Princess shopping channels. There's a bright blue light that blinks and can be annoying at night. The technician covered mine with black duct tape. That was the fix. I couldn't get much information out of the technician since he barely spoke English but I did find out that once the set-up is complete, it'll have movies on demand but won't be interactive like on the Royal. No folio on your TV nor smartphone integration. However, the TV system looks very much like the Royal's so who knows?

Regarding the TV's Unfortunately no. As a matter of fact the TV flashed on and off all night so we had to unplug it at night. They did say that they were working on them. Regarding the service charges, I'm sorry but I dont think I know what you are referring to.

Regarding the TV's Unfortunately no. As a matter of fact the TV flashed on and off all night so we had to unplug it at night. They did say that they were working on them. Regarding the service charges, I'm sorry but I dont think I know what you are referring to.

No movies on demand yet.

Just wondering, how many elites out there wear their elite captain circle pins when cruising? That's a lot worse than wearing your elite card around your neck. I don't like to brag, I'd rather be low keyed, just my view.

I don't even know where mine is anymore.

Changes not charges;)