Bread Baskets

Roatanfans

Wonderful yummy fresh baked bread is always something we look forward to on a cruise and many people on the princess boards rave about their bread baskets. We were actually a little disappointed with them on the Grand- not a lot of variety and the rolls at dinner were pretty hard like they had sat (same types of rolls much softer and fresher earlier in the day). What we really missed was a dark soft wheat bread type roll. Now, I can't say that we didn't still enjoy the bread at our table (and eat plenty of it), but more choices would have been nice. Is this typical of all Princess ships or just the Grand?

Did you ask for what you want. We were on the Grand in September, had late dining... we had no problem getting the bread we liked which we asked the head waiter to order for us. l

I'm sorry to say that is typical of all Princess ships, hard, cold bread.

Some people do actually like the bread on Princess but I am one that has never figured out why.

Mike:)

If you want it warmed ask for it.

I also found that some ships bakers make different things. The best advice is to ask your head waiter for the rolls that you like and usually he will try to get it for you.

Remember, if he is able to get it, a gratuity at the end of the cruise is called for.

The bread looked good but the butter was always freezing cold in both the Horizon and MDR. Next cruise I'm bringing my Kerrygold onboard in a little tupperware bowl and leaving it out, like I do at home. I want butter on my bread, pancakes, waffles, baked potatoes etc..........:o

I did the Ultimate Ship's Tour on Grand in February. Executive Chef David Greves gave the tour. He spent 15 minutes talking about the bakery. They have a machine that rolls the bread dough through a ringer, 4 to 5 times and out comes a 2 feet by 6 feet long sheet of dough and they neatly fold and stack them for different baking uses. They take a 1 1/2 inch by 14 inch diameter dough, place it on a plastic paddle and place it into a machine and is pressed, then oscillates for 10 second and out comes 12 perfectly circular dough to be use to make those delicious rolls. I though I was in heaven, it smelled so good in here. Bakery runs 24 hours.

Don't think I have ever had cold hard bread at the dinner table on Princess.

I have the feeling that some are confusing hard, stale bread with the delicious crusty bread with the soft center. I have never had stale hard bread on Princess.

I have the feeling that some are confusing hard, stale bread with the delicious crusty bread with the soft center. I have never had stale hard bread on Princess.

Agreed, and that crusty bread is so much better than the soft, tasteless stuff that most restaurants pass off as dinner rolls. But, then the subject of food is subjective....... :cool:

Edited by ar1950

Nor have we! And my husband, who normally eats no bread at all, absolutely loves the Princess dinner rolls. On most of our cruises, including the Ruby last month, they have been warm which takes them to an entirely new level. That's the only time either of us use butter on our bread. Delicious!