Where do you eat every day?

forceten

Our first cruise coming up this June, Summit..........

I see lots and lots of different places to eat and I am a bit confused. What do you guys usually do each day? I see all of these choices I think

Room Service

Main Dining room (is this just for dinner or is there lunch and breakfast too?)

Blu (we booked aqua) Looks like Breakfast and dinner only

3 specialty Restaurants (just for dinner?)

Cafe Al Bacio (not sure if its just drinks or there is food too)

Bistro on 5? This a breakfast/lunch place?

Not sure if i missed anyplace. I know we can mix things up each day, but aren't sure what to start off with the first few days. I know we will try blu at least once for breakfast and once for dinner (more if we like it). Do you guys eat at the buffet for lunch usually? Or where do you eat lunches at?

Is there any days with a brunch at all?

I know we can ask to try the MDR for a dinner and plan too also.

First, slow down and smell the roses and soak everything in about your first cruise. There will be no way to experience everything that there is to do on one 7 day sailing. Blu is your MDR, no book AQ, no go to Blu :D

We like to mix things up, hence we book a reg veranda, same size cabin.

You will fret yourself into a dreadful vacation, we have been cruising since 1987.

Read this review from another first time cruiser!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2006126

Edited by wallie5446

Breakfast and dinner in blu. Lunch in the mdr or hamburgers by the pool. We avoid the buffet except for sushi at 5:30 as an appetizer....

Sometimes they offer a $25 lunch in a specialty restaurant and there is generally a brunch buffet. Watch the daily activity newsletter.

We like the MDR for dinner, buffet for breakfast, although we also do room service. We don't always eat lunch, but if we do, it is usually a salad from the buffet or Aqua Spa Cafe. the only time we have dined in specialty restaurants, they were complimentary. EM

They post the lunch and dinner menus outside the dining room, so you can look them over and see what looks appealing before deciding if you want to eat there.

They post the Blu dinner menu outside the Blu entrance too, so you can compare it to the MDR menu.

Walk all around to look over the offerings at the buffet and the pool grill and the aqua spa cafe (all on deck 10) before deciding.

Bistro on 5 has its menu posted right outside the entrance, and you can stroll by the glass case at Cafe Al Bacio to see the tempting offerings on display there. Then there is also the nearby gelato station.

At the buffet on deck 10, don't forget the ice-cream station by the main entrance on the starboard side (open from about noon on).

In the morning there are the famous Celebrity waffles with your choice of toppings at the back of the buffet, in the same area where they will build sandwiches to order for you at lunch time and cook steak or chops or chicken or fish for you at dinner time.

If you are in the mood for pizza, there is a pizza station near the back of the buffet on the starboard side.

One day you may wish to nibble, pick and choose, try this thing here and that thing there, or other times you may prefer to sit down and have the entire meal at one place, and perhaps a snack later in the day somewhere else. It is your choice.

As to your question about where we eat, just depends on what strikes our fancy that day.

If it is a day when we have an early morning port excursion, we like to start with a wake-up room service breakfast on the balcony to save time so we don't need to run back and forth or waste time sitting around or standing around waiting for someone to bring us anything.

It also saves time because one of us can be eating breakfast while the other one is getting ready in the bathroom, so we are not waiting for each other.

Otherwise for those eligible to eat in Blu, I would recommend breakfast in Blu, followed (or preceded) at least a few times by the Celebrity waffles.

Very Important: You must be right there when they cook the waffles.

Everyone who has been hanging around here for a while knows how important it is to insist on getting your waffles fresh and crispy, hot off the griddle, and not accept the pre-cooked waffles that are sitting out in the warming pan getting soggy.

There will always be someone who tries to pawn those off on innocent, naive, unsuspecting newcomers. :eek:

As for the sea day when they have the big brunch buffet, we like to walk all around and see if there is anything different there that appeals to us.

Mostly it is just a big collection of the same stuff that they have every day at breakfast and lunch and tea time, jazzed up for appearance with ice sculptures and chocolate fountains.

At one time they had great crab legs at the brunch, but I have not seen them in a while.

Edited by fleckle

You might want to try the hamburgers and fries at the poolside grill also. Very good.

Breakfast is served in the MDR but we find it too slow. Lunch is also served in the MDR if the ship is at sea, not while it is in port.

First, slow down and smell the roses and soak everything in about your first cruise. There will be no way to experience everything that there is to do on one 7 day sailing. Blu is your MDR, no book AQ, no go to Blu :D

You will fret yourself into a dreadful vacation, we have been cruising since 1987.

What a great review. Thx for sharing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That was a fantastic review!

Thanks to all those that posted. It gives me a small clue on whats around the ship food wise.

YVR: you said something that caught my attention. On days in port - is there breakfast and dinner served on ship? Or do we have to get our food while off the ship? We planned to get lunch in port but probably come back for dinner, if they are serving it.

We usually have a Coffee and muffin from the Cafe' Al Baccio for breakfast, Lunch in the MDR (Oceanview Cafe' on Port days if we are still aboard) and Dinner in the MDR. Occasionally use a specialty restuarant for a special event or just for something different with friends.:D

Thanks for sharing!

Fleckle, I am saving your food suggestions in my cruise file.

I can't wait til December and the Equinox!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

Our first cruise coming up this June, Summit..........

I see lots and lots of different places to eat and I am a bit confused. What do you guys usually do each day? I see all of these choices I think

Room Service

Main Dining room (is this just for dinner or is there lunch and breakfast too?)

Blu (we booked aqua) Looks like Breakfast and dinner only

3 specialty Restaurants (just for dinner?)

Cafe Al Bacio (not sure if its just drinks or there is food too)

Bistro on 5? This a breakfast/lunch place?

MDR open for all meals on sea days. Can be rather slow sometimes IMO

Cafe Al Bacio has coffees (fee) and at breakfast things like muffins, donuts etc. Rest of day, some wonderful cookies and desserts (no fee)

Bistro on 5 open for lunch and dinner - crepes, paninis, salads, soups, dessert - $5 fee This is a good place to go on the day you board the ship as the buffet will be a zoo!

Room Service - there will be something in your room which explains what they have - new menu will show a few things they charge for (like steak and eggs).

For the Grand Buffet, check the back of the daily, as that is the only place it is listed.

IMO, I would advise you to try everything. Since you are paying extra for Blu, see what their offerings are and then decide what you want to do for subsequent breakfast and dinners.

Frankly, the buffet has a huge assortment of food for both breakfast and lunch. Despite some people on this forum discouraging buffet meals, we have always found something good we like there for all meals (even dinner when we arrive back late from ports). You can only experience a small taste of what the cruise is about in your 7 days, so enjoy your time exploring!

I wouldn't spend the extra $45 at restaurants this time unless you find nothing else appealing...........

Take time to exjoy your trip!

On days in port - is there breakfast and dinner served on ship? Or do we have to get our food while off the ship? We planned to get lunch in port but probably come back for dinner, if they are serving it.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner is always served on the ship. It is only the MDR that does not serve lunch on port days and Blu that does not serve lunch at all. The specialty restaurants, except Bistro, are not open for breakfast and lunch, unless they offer a special lunch one day.

Most of the cruises have a brunch in the MDR on one of the sea days. It is not well advertised but will be listed in the daily under the schedule for the restaurants for that day.

As someone posted, the burgers and fries are very good if you get them hot. Celebrity is probably the only place I will eat fries and only if hot.

Relax. Do not plan. Know your options and decide where to eat when you want to eat. Breakfasts are okay everywhere. Need something quick (excursion booked), go to the buffet or order room service. Hate carrying your own plates, MDR,BLu,Bistro on 5 or room service. Want good coffee, Cafe Al Bacio anytime....extra charge for coffee...pastry is free. Pool side grill is also a nice choice. I am not a buffet person. I hate the big brunch buffet held once on every cruise in the MDR. Aside from that brunch, I love the MDR....excellent food that is served to me. You will not go hungry. So many choices. Just relax and enjoy.

Coffee from Cafe Bacio on the balcony

Maybe some fruit and cereal from buffet later

Lunch at buffet, or Aqua Spa or mast grill

tea and nibbles from buffet mid afternoon

Dinner in the MDR, which we love, or a speciality restaurant, and we usually do all 3. Never eat at the buffet or order room service.

When we were in AQ we ate dinner in Blu every night but 1. The MDR had something I really wanted 1 night so we opted for that. Blu was great and you paid extra for it so give it a chance. Never went to Blu for breakfast.

On other cruises we use the MDR for dinner every night. i just can't see spending the money for the specialty restaurants. MDR is usually pretty good.

Breakfast is almost always room service. Probably 5 out of 7 or 7 out of 10 mornings. We just love sitting on the balcony eating and drinking coffee. Although I might have to run down to the Cafe for good coffee this time as I have the beverage package for the first time. Once in a while I'll go to the buffet after working out or go up and get my wife a waffle for enjoying the balcony.

Lunch is hit or miss. Of course if we are in port we either don't eat or grab something in town. Or, just grab a small bite when coming back on. On the ship it is either the pool grill or the buffet. Never been to Bistro or the MDR for lunch.

No issue with food, just take it as you go. With Blu and anytime dining there is really no set schedule anymore. Just eat when you're hungry.

enjoy

I see lots and lots of different places to eat and I am a bit confused. What do you guys usually do each day?

Breakfast: We usually order something light from room service, so we can avoid the mass of humanity and general chaos in the buffet. MDR breakfast is nice, but I always end up eating too much, and often we're not ready to eat before they stop serving (9:00 or 9:30 I think). Once or twice per cruise we might get a breakfast panini from The Porch. We always intend to gets crepes at Bistro on 5 one day, but usually don't get around to it.

Lunch: Usually either a panini from The Porch or a burger from the Mast Grill. If it's a port we enjoy we eat in port; we have favorite restaurants in several. On a rare occasion we'll have a lunch in the MDR or specialty restaurant but those aren't always open for lunch. As with breakfast, we try to avoid the crowds in the buffet.

Dinner: 9 times out of 10 we eat in a specialty restaurant. Last cruise we had a huge lunch one day so we did go to the buffet to just get salad and some pasta for dinner. Really enjoyed it so I fought the crowds to go back for pasta one day during lunch (didn't fight for a seat though, I took it back to our alcove to eat)

If you are in Aqua Class,...

Breakfast: Blu (free juice and smoothies) for a fresh, hot breakfast or get room service.

Lunch: The buffet for variety or the mast grill for burgers.

Dinner: Blu, but for a change of scene try the MDR. Check both menus and see what appeals to you.

As far as specialty restaurants,just go and see what is offered and what appeals to you. Then consider if it's worth the added cost.

There are so many great Asians restaurants in the Chicago area that we had no interest in Silk Harvest, but that is us.

Loved the quirkiness of QSine.

Loved the fancy dining of Murano.

Loved Bistro on 5.

There are only 2 restaurants that can cook a better steak than me, IMHO, so I rarely waste money at steak restaurants. I have no reason to pay for pasta, since it can make it at home. That said we have decided to MAYBE try Tuscan Grill on our next cruise.

No matter what you will enjoy some great food options. No need to do them all in one cruise. You can try them on your next cruise.

You'll love Summit. Sailed last April - and going again in a couple of weeks.

Breakfast - Always get at least room service coffee to start the day on the balcony - sometimes with some pastry.

Second breakfast - Depending on whether we had anything to eat from room service, will go to MDR for breakfast. Also, in buffet they have made-to-order eggs benedict (hoping they still have it). You could get with smoked salmon!!

Lunch - Not usually on the ship since it is port heavy. But post port, maybe a snack of pizza or room service

Pre dinner - Sunset Grill (back deck) with a drink and some sushi from the buffet.

Dinner - MDR - very good selections. Did try QSine and it was fantastic. For upcoming cruise, sticking to the MDR.

Thanks for sharing!

Fleckle, I am saving your food suggestions in my cruise file.

I can't wait til December and the Equinox!

Just think I should add that while much of what I posted will also apply to your ship, there definitely are some differences.

I was replying to the OP about the Summit (an M-class ship) and you will be going on the Equinox (an S-class ship) which has a different layout.

So please check out the locations of the various dining venues on the deck plan for your own ship, and ignore the locations I mentioned.

Have a great cruise!

We just came back from the Summit sailing on March 1 - and loved it. Many times what we did that day- scheduled tour or just walk around- determined what and where we ate. With only one sea day we were very busy touring the islands. We had a tour that required us to be on the dock at noon - the only place open for lunch before noon was Bistro on 5. We really enjoyed it there - and got immediate and great service - you can have anything/everything on the menu for the $5 cover charge. Don't miss the dessert crepes.

We had a 6 hour tour we loved on Domenica, and got back after lunch, but had a choice of the great poolside hamburgers, pasta made to order and pizza.

Don't miss the cakes at the Cafe al Bacchio on 5 - there is no charge for the cake and pastries - only for the speciality coffee and teas. We didn't see those cakes anywhere else!

The sub place at the back of the buffet has great croissants and breads they will make paninis with.

Enjoy!

They post the lunch and dinner menus outside the dining room, so you can look them over and see what looks appealing before deciding if you want to eat there.

They post the Blu dinner menu outside the Blu entrance too, so you can compare it to the MDR menu.

Walk all around to look over the offerings at the buffet and the pool grill and the aqua spa cafe (all on deck 10) before deciding.

Bistro on 5 has its menu posted right outside the entrance, and you can stroll by the glass case at Cafe Al Bacio to see the tempting offerings on display there. Then there is also the nearby gelato station.

At the buffet on deck 10, don't forget the ice-cream station by the main entrance on the starboard side (open from about noon on).

In the morning there are the famous Celebrity waffles with your choice of toppings at the back of the buffet, in the same area where they will build sandwiches to order for you at lunch time and cook steak or chops or chicken or fish for you at dinner time.

If you are in the mood for pizza, there is a pizza station near the back of the buffet on the starboard side.

One day you may wish to nibble, pick and choose, try this thing here and that thing there, or other times you may prefer to sit down and have the entire meal at one place, and perhaps a snack later in the day somewhere else. It is your choice.

As to your question about where we eat, just depends on what strikes our fancy that day.

If it is a day when we have an early morning port excursion, we like to start with a wake-up room service breakfast on the balcony to save time so we don't need to run back and forth or waste time sitting around or standing around waiting for someone to bring us anything.

It also saves time because one of us can be eating breakfast while the other one is getting ready in the bathroom, so we are not waiting for each other.

Otherwise for those eligible to eat in Blu, I would recommend breakfast in Blu, followed (or preceded) at least a few times by the Celebrity waffles.

Very Important: You must be right there when they cook the waffles.

Everyone who has been hanging around here for a while knows how important it is to insist on getting your waffles fresh and crispy, hot off the griddle, and not accept the pre-cooked waffles that are sitting out in the warming pan getting soggy.

There will always be someone who tries to pawn those off on innocent, naive, unsuspecting newcomers. :eek:

As for the sea day when they have the big brunch buffet, we like to walk all around and see if there is anything different there that appeals to us.

Mostly it is just a big collection of the same stuff that they have every day at breakfast and lunch and tea time, jazzed up for appearance with ice sculptures and chocolate fountains.

At one time they had great crab legs at the brunch, but I have not seen them in a while.

What time does the breakfast buffet open? My husband and I can never sleep in and are usually up and ready to go by 5 am, (unfortunately!)

The buffet, is open 24 hours a day for coffee, tea and juice and from 6:30 a.m. to 1 a.m. for breakfast, lunch, dinner and mid-afternoon or late-night snacks. Copied from the Celebrity site.

Edited by YVR cruiser

Love reading all of your posts! I think I'm getting a bit addicted to reading the cruise critic boards :)

Another question after reading the last set of posts. Since we were already getting blu with our cruise we weren't sure if we were going to try any specialty restaurant (at least not our first cruise). With so many other options on a 7 day cruise.

One or two of you mentioned that some of the specialty restaurants do offer lunch. Is lunch discounted? or is it still full price of around $45 a person?

A lot of our local restaurants that we like to eat at have lunch we will do that for less money. We get the same food as dinner time, maybe slightly smaller portions but most times like 40% off dinner prices. Going to lunches a lot means we can eat out more and not spend as much. But still get the same great food.

If no go for less for lunch - for those that went aqua I heard they offer a discount sometimes the first night of instead of eating at blu to try a specialty restaurant. Not sure how much they give off, but have you guys taken them up and gone to dinner at one the first night?