Help...printing my boarding pass and asking me about currency conversion?

Hi,

I never had to choose this option before. Never cruised Royal though.

On Carnival and Disney cruises there was no conversion charge.

Can someone explain this...

Dumb it down for me:o

Thanks

Kerri

Choices

A

I choose to pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card. I choose to use Royal Caribbean International's currency conversion program. This currency conversion transaction is based on wholesale exchange rates collected from Bloomberg plus a 3 percent international currency conversion fee. My choice to have charges billed in the currency of my card is final. I accept that the exchange rate used will be the rate in effect at the time the amounts are charged to my card

B

I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating in the Royal Caribbean International currency conversion program.

If I opt for my charges to be converted by my credit card issuer, or if my card is not billed in one of the billing currencies listed, my charges will be processed in the onboard currency (USD) and the issuer of my card may charge a service fee for currency conversion.

Edited by luv2gonow

Hi,

Thanks

Kerri

Choices

A

I choose to pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card. I choose to use Royal Caribbean International's currency conversion program. This currency conversion transaction is based on wholesale exchange rates collected from Bloomberg plus a 3 percent international currency conversion fee. My choice to have charges billed in the currency of my card is final. I accept that the exchange rate used will be the rate in effect at the time the amounts are charged to my card

B

I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating in the Royal Caribbean International currency conversion program.

If I opt for my charges to be converted by my credit card issuer, or if my card is not billed in one of the billing currencies listed, my charges will be processed in the onboard currency (USD) and the issuer of my card may charge a service fee for currency conversion.

Ignore A and B since you are from the US.:)

I'm from canada and thus have to make a choice. I always pick B, and RCI always ignores my choice!

Shirley,

How do you know this??

We are for our upcomming cruise opting for B too and i would really be unhappy if RCI just ignores the choice.

Is there a way to find out or stated somewhere while onboard if they perform A or B??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How do you know this??

We are for our upcomming cruise opting for B too and i would really be unhappy if RCI just ignores the choice.

Is there a way to find out or stated somewhere while onboard if they perform A or B??

You don't find out they've ignored your option until you get your final bill on the last morning and it states on it that your bill will be converted at their rate. I have even checked with guest services before the last night to make sure my bill will be correct. As there is no way I am getting into the long lineup at guest services on the final morning, I just accept it. Once I even had the check in person initial a copy of the set sail pass for me, so I could prove to RCI that they ignored my request. For me, it's not worth the aggravation, although someday, I would like to protest the charges to the credit card company. Oh well!

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for your explanation!!!

Do you know if the rate RCI used was very different from the exchange rate your cc company would have used??

I am also from Canada and choose B.

What I now do is the day after boarding go to guest services and ask them to confirm that they have done this. This seems to do the trick. Don't wait until the last day.

The credit card companies have better rates of exchange.

Thanks for your explanation!!!

Do you know if the rate RCI used was very different from the exchange rate your cc company would have used??

RCI's rate is higher.

I am also from Canada and choose B.

What I now do is the day after boarding go to guest services and ask them to confirm that they have done this. This seems to do the trick. Don't wait until the last day.

The credit card companies have better rates of exchange.

I don't bother looking at the total of my bill anymore, I think they've got it right about 2 or 3 times out of about 15 or 20.

Hi,

Thanks

Kerri

Choices

A

B

I see this is your first Royal cruise... do come back and let us know your thoughts :D

Happy cruising :cool:

In 5 cruises have always ticked 'B' and had my account charged to my local (Australian) credit card in US$. My bank then converts into $A using an exchange rate only known to them, certainly around 4c lower than the rate shown each night on the 6 o'clock news. Then there is a 'foreign transaction fee' of something like 1.5% - perhaps it has gone up recently.

As posted above, sometimes you are offered to have the purchase cost converted into your home currency at point of sale (POS) - this has certainly happened a few times in New Zealand. In this case then, again some 'unknown' rate of exchange is applied, but there will be no foreign exchange fee applied by my bank as I paid in Aussie dollars.

Which is better I have never really calculated - either I am on my holiday/vacation or my company is paying, so I'm not going to stress over it. For what it's worth our company accountant who gets paid to stress over such things has told me tick 'B' on my cruises (which I am paying for) & to accept the pay in $A option at POS when available - I will follow that advice until further notice.

Happy cruising

Aussies should grab a 28degrees MasterCard for overseas purchases as it has no currency conversion fee and the exchange rate used is the rate as per xe.com etc. ie no 'fee' built into the exchange rate. We have used it for both our RCI cruises and ticked 'b' to save quite a bit of money!

You also used to be able to withdraw cash overseas with this card at no fee but they recently put on a 3% fee for these unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are from the UK and have Sailed RCI quite a few times and cannot recall this option. I know we have to nominate a Credit Card which we do. But once on the Ship and its calmed down a bit we visit the Pursers Desk, we then put US Dollars on our on board Ship account, in the UK we would call this a TAB. On the eve of the last day we either add Dollars or receive Dollars back, account settled. Credit Card free.

We are from the UK and have Sailed RCI quite a few times and cannot recall this option. I know we have to nominate a Credit Card which we do. But once on the Ship and its calmed down a bit we visit the Pursers Desk, we then put US Dollars on our on board Ship account, in the UK we would call this a TAB. On the eve of the last day we either add Dollars or receive Dollars back, account settled. Credit Card free.

Understood, but unless you have a tree growing greenbacks in Nottingham Forest or an income stream in $US, you still need to buy the cash at an exchange rate & likely pay a commission on the deal, which may not be very different to using the credit card & you haven't got to worry about how much cash to bring or looking after it. Different strokes for different folks :)

Edited by mr walker

Like yourselves nominate a card but we also bring US dollars on board and set up a Tab. My husband travels extensively so we often purchase dollars over the course of the year as the exchange rate becomes favourable to pound sterling.

In response to Mr Walker, it is not that there is a money tree in their garden but in the UK foreign exchange can be very competitively priced if you plan early and purchase online using a debit card. There are often no commission charges and only a few cents difference between the rate you purchase dollars as a traveller and the official daily rate published. It is the last minute exchange which can be prohibitively expensive especially at airports. The problem with credit cards are the additional foreign exchange charges which are loaded with a further fee at 1.5% or more. In the UK are there are a few credit cards which do not front load for foreign exchange purchases.

Also having dollars is useful for tipping on board.

We always watch the exchange, if it goes up I buy, always got plenty of Green Backs in the safe, never know when you might need them. The best rate ever for me was $2 to the £ that made a good Holiday in Florida, currently $1.60 to the £. Mr Walker cash is King, Credit Cards are in case of emergencies, in our house hold.

2.5% is what my card charges.

Advantages of using credit card- security, converting *exactly* what you need and no more.

Advantages of cash: Play the market, and get better exchange rates. This can really win out if you have a good source to exchange your currency (I pay close to the market rate, no fees).