Taking own food off ship

cruiser415

First time cruiser, going to Alaska in May. I'm planning to bring Clif Bars on board and I was wondering if I could take them off the ship.
Only if they are in a manufacturer's sealed package. The US takes bringing food off the ship very seriously, as do many countries. There is plenty of food available in port.

I order cereal with room service every morning, and I get an extra package to carry with me on excursions. (Usually it's Frosted Flakes in the individual boxes.) Many times I have been happy I had something to snack on when lunchtime comes and goes with no lunch!

I order cereal with room service every morning, and I get an extra package to carry with me on excursions. (Usually it's Frosted Flakes in the individual boxes.) Many times I have been happy I had something to snack on when lunchtime comes and goes with no lunch!

That's a great idea! I may use it on our next cruise:)

We take granola bars, Cliff Bars, packaged nuts, and packaged dried fruit with us. Being diabetic, I sometimes need fruit or a pick me up and so having things like this with us works. Have never had a problem.

We take granola bars, Cliff Bars, packaged nuts, and packaged dried fruit with us. Being diabetic, I sometimes need fruit or a pick me up and so having things like this with us works. Have never had a problem.

There will be a problem in some countries.

For example, in Australia nuts and nut products may not be brought into the country by individuals.

When we were leaving ship in New Zealand they had food sniffing dogs checking out bags and people- earlier in the day I had chocolate candy in my bag, that I left in the room, and the lovely little beagle dog smelled it- and they checked my bag- in New Zealand- they are serious about absolultely no- food of any kind, pre-packaged or not- nothing to go off ship.

There was lots of food to purchase off ship if needed

I read a CC post from a passenger who said that they took a supply of ziplock bags. She said that at night she put items in the refrigerator to have a nice lunch (off the ship) the next day. DO NOT, I stress, do not do this.

I don't understand people would obviously think that the rules are for everyone else.

When we were leaving ship in New Zealand they had food sniffing dogs checking out bags and people- earlier in the day I had chocolate candy in my bag, that I left in the room, and the lovely little beagle dog smelled it- and they checked my bag- in New Zealand- they are serious about absolultely no- food of any kind, pre-packaged or not- nothing to go off ship.

There was lots of food to purchase off ship if needed

They're even more serious in Chile where there are soldiers with German shepherds and carrying big a$$ guns lining up passengers as you disembark the ship and checking every single person and bag. Wouldn't want to mess with them. They looked more serious than Russian immigration agents, if that's possible. Edited by Pam in CA

Being isolated, Australia and New Zealand have strict quarantine regulations. Other countries are less strict but all don't want foreign pests and diseases introduced into their countries. Remember the cane toad? Always declare any food taken off a ship if required (even sealed and pre-packaged) and let the agent decide if it is ok.

Edited by movc

I read a CC post from a passenger who said that they took a supply of ziplock bags. She said that at night she put items in the refrigerator to have a nice lunch (off the ship) the next day. DO NOT, I stress, do not do this.

I don't understand people would obviously think that the rules are for everyone else.

I read a similar thread here on CC where someone said that her TA told her it was fine to pack a nice lunch to take off the ship in ports.

I'm still wondering what else her TA told her that was completely wrong. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~

I'm a coeliac diabetic and always carry fruit bars etc. They were taken off me

in Australia and I was threatened with a fine for trying to import them. I had bought them in the previous port which was in Australia.

Only if you are a US citizen, Alaska is not a foreign country. :D

As a US citizen when we return any US port, we can't take fruit and foods that are not packaged and sealed by the manufacturer off the ship with us.

LuLu

~~~

The OP said they are going to Alaska, not a foreign country.

Isn't it ok to take a Clif bar, or a cookie, or a bag of nuts to a state within the USA?

Even in Alaska, you can only take off pre-packaged foods. So if your Clif bar, cookie or nuts are sealed in original packaging, they should be okay.

The OP said they are going to Alaska, not a foreign country.

Isn't it ok to take a Clif bar, or a cookie, or a bag of nuts to a state within the USA?

There are some restrictions in Alaska and Canada. On our 2012 Vancouver to Whittier cruise this is what appeared in every Patter on port days and was mentioned in the the announcement over the PA at every port:

Agricultural Notice: The U.S. and Canadian Agricultural Departments remind you that heavy fines can be imposed for bringing any fruit, vegetables, flowers, plants, meats or diary products into our ports of call.

On the Disembarkation Sheet (for Whittier) the content was slightly different:

US DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE RESTRICTIONS: It is illegal to take fruits, plants, meats or dairy ashore, on the spot fines will be enforced.

Those wondering about transporting food from one US port to another---

Those of us living in Southern California, at times, have not been able to transport fruit from one area to another. The areas can be valleys or counties.

On most highways into California there are AG stops.

On our March 1 Sapphire cruise I had a puny bug crawl out of the asparagus and there always seemed one or two no-see-ins flying around.