Where is my Constilation Refund???

gkbiiii

This is just another example of the current "entitlement" mentality that seems to be pervasive in society these days. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Amen. Makes me ill. The OP needs to go back and read the cruise contract. Things happen and yes the cruise line can change the itinerary. If Cozumel was so important to the OP then they should have flown to the island. Simple as that. X does not owe them anything. They got their cruise.

Looks like the OP needs to head to Disney.:)

Edited by cruisingator2

Amen. Makes me ill. The OP needs to go back and read the cruise contract. Things happen and yes the cruise line can change the itinerary. If Cozumel was so important to the OP then they should have flown to the island. Simple as that. X does not owe them anything. They got their cruise.

I agree that the OP is owed nothing in this case.

I do have an issue with presenting the cruise contract as "proof" of this.

This "contract" is hopelessly one-sided and these sorts of agreements have been found to be abusive.

I believe somewhere in there they reserve the right to take your kidneys.:p

This "contract" gives them all the rights and we get all the obligations.

Again, the OP is way out of line in his demands in this case.

I just hate using this abusive document as justification for anything.

Edited by richstowe

OP, get over it! I've been cruising 30 years and several times have had major itinerary changes with no compensation. Imagine flying all the way to Hawaii, missing several islands and the cruise line did nothing.

On another cruise, the ship had issues so we stayed in San Juan longer than normal, missed islands and we did get a 20% off our next cruise.

It happens, read the contract, carrying on like there was nothing to do, your fault not theirs. According to other passengers, the tenders were running and you were not trapped at a Navy base. I've been to Key West, and tendering from that location is no big deal.

This "contract" is hopelessly one-sided and these sorts of agreements have been found to be abusive.

I believe somewhere in there they reserve the right to take your kidneys.:p

You are being ridiculous. The contract quite clearly states that they can only take your kidneys in order to recoup their costs if you exceed the drinks package limit. Be educated, people!

OP, I think your expectation of a full refund is unreasonable. I do believe that some sort of goodwill gesture such as a small credit toward a future cruise or even a couple of extra CC points might be in order and would go a long way toward making passengers feel less disgruntled. The problem it seems though is that few if any besides you are in fact disgruntled. I'm not sure you can disgruntle a typical Celebrity passenger unless you either crank up the techno, get rid of an acapella group or deny them escargot. :D

I can only imagine the reimbursement demands he would have to come up with if the flight got cancelled or delayed due to weather! :rolleyes:

I feel sorry for Disney! ;)

Edited by boogs

We've been scheduled to sail/tender into Belize on 2 separate cruises and missed the port both times, once due to mechanical problems and we had to stay in Key West longer and the 2nd time due to weather. To make matters worse, the 1st time there was a water spout in Key West while we were snorkeling & the 2nd time we had a an extended stay in Cozumel to make up for the missed port and it was cold, windy & rainy. I think we deserve a free cruise.

Mary Lou

To the OP, while I understand your frustration and can somewhat understand why you feel you are due compensation... unfortunately the Celebrity Contract is crystal clear that they can cancel/deviate or substitute ports and you are not entitled to anything. It's listed clearly in clause 6 of your contract.

The first paragraph states:

Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination or any activity on or off the Vessel......blah blah blah... Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger... blah blah blah.

Here is a link to a version of the contract from 2010. http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/Celebrity_CTC_Eff_08_01_10.pdf

Life is short. Don't get hung up on this. If you're mad at Celebrity move to another cruise line.

Edited by RickT

I did not book a Bahamas cruise, I booked a Caribbean cruise to Mexico. The only entitlement, is "corporate entitlement", as a way of not compensating passengers in ANY way, shape, or form!!!

Look, I am not a Jim Jones Kool-Aid drinker!

we were on this cruise as well... and yes! some sort of incentive to get us to try the trip again would have been deeply appreciated!

it was my son's graduation cruise and we had our hearts set on Mexico! if it had been my husband and myself-no big deal! but a high school graduation gift of a 1st cruise to a dream location? I'm sorry but a limited excursion list in Nassau hardly makes up for missing a once-in-a-lifetime Mayan excursion that my son had dreamed about his entire HS years!

any of you that were on the ship KNOW that it wasn't just like "oh, we'll be here 'til tomorrow night at this time, go have fun in Key West"... it was more like, "be onboard by 10pm so we can sail".... "oh, we STILL can't sail, but we will be sailing before you wake up".... "well, we are STILL sitting at the naval pier, enjoy your day in Key West but be here by suppertime because we are going to sail"... you get the point...

If I had wanted to spend 37 hours in Key West, I would have booked such a vacation...

I know that not all points are the same BUT Carnival just prorated their cruises that were held due to oil leak (TOTALLY not cruise line's fault! I understand that is something NOT in line's control) AND gave them a 25% off a future cruise BEFORE they even set sail!

I don't expect a free cruise or refund of any kind! just some incentive for us to take our son to a day in Mexico that we signed up for!

ps: at what point is a cruise line responsible to admit, that a ship needs some mechanical work done... lets not promise her service until we know she is 100% ready for the sea!?

now, go ahead! I know this comment will be attacked.... y'all have fun....

You aren't guaranteed /any/ port on a cruise. There are many reasons why ships miss ports, and missing a port is not a reason for a reimbursement. I went on a cruise in 2007 that we had planned all SORTS of "once in a lifetime" excursions for us & our kids - guess what? We didn't get to a single port on our itinerary except for Key West.

We did, however, go to Cozumel. We had a nice time there, but it wasn't awesome or amazing, and our friends that did the Mayan tour were very disappointed - after spending nearly 7 hours between a bus & a ferry, they got to spend very little time at the ruins.

Oh - and the ferry was no fun in good weather. According to the folks who were on the cruise, the weather when you would have been there was bad. So lots of travel and bad seas to spend 2 hours or so at the ruins in the rain.

I'd rather be in Key West, which is an awesome port with lots to offer.

Never, ever go to a location on a cruise if you MUST see a particular site or dock at a particular port. Go on a land tour.

Edited by Jobeth66

we were on this cruise as well... and yes! some sort of incentive to get us to try the trip again would have been deeply appreciated!

it was my son's graduation cruise and we had our hearts set on Mexico! if it had been my husband and myself-no big deal! but a high school graduation gift of a 1st cruise to a dream location? I'm sorry but a limited excursion list in Nassau hardly makes up for missing a once-in-a-lifetime Mayan excursion that my son had dreamed about his entire HS years!

any of you that were on the ship KNOW that it wasn't just like "oh, we'll be here 'til tomorrow night at this time, go have fun in Key West"... it was more like, "be onboard by 10pm so we can sail".... "oh, we STILL can't sail, but we will be sailing before you wake up".... "well, we are STILL sitting at the naval pier, enjoy your day in Key West but be here by suppertime because we are going to sail"... you get the point...

If I had wanted to spend 37 hours in Key West, I would have booked such a vacation...

I know that not all points are the same BUT Carnival just prorated their cruises that were held due to oil leak (TOTALLY not cruise line's fault! I understand that is something NOT in line's control) AND gave them a 25% off a future cruise BEFORE they even set sail!

I don't expect a free cruise or refund of any kind! just some incentive for us to take our son to a day in Mexico that we signed up for!

ps: at what point is a cruise line responsible to admit, that a ship needs some mechanical work done... lets not promise her service until we know she is 100% ready for the sea!?

This was the point I was trying to make, yet you did a much better job them me, saying it. If a plane has mechanical problems (this is not an act due to God, like weather, European ash clouds, etc.) they are obligated by law, both here USA & Europe to provide, at least some basic compensation. Yes they are international vessels, however this ship, sailed from a Florida port.

It is not really about money to me; it is more about of the issue of the lack of respect shown by the line to their passengers. I suppose in life, if you expect nothing, you get nothing.

Like your son, my friend (I brought along) this was his first cruise and he had his heart set on seeing Mexico. I have been to the Bahamas many times, thus I booked this cruise.

My point about Disney (being the industry Gold Standard) is spot on, they would have handled things much differently. Some goodwill goes along way; whether or not, some posters here believe it is deserved.

In the not so recent past, we (the public at large) were treated much better by large firms. I have missed ports in the past due to weather, which I can understand. We (the passengers) were even compensated for this (St. Martin) even though it was not the cruise lines doing.

This was the cruise lines responsibility, yet we got nothing? Perhaps we should expect nothing in life, just see how the Concordia passengers have been treated. From small things, to big things, it is a sad commentary on how are world is.

If more people were more demanding (as they were in the not so distant past) within reason; much would improve with overall quality and responsiveness in passengers needs. Otherwise, companies can continue to lower quality, knowing the people will put up with anything.

Lastly, did the Adventure of the Seas passengers deserve a full refund and 50% off a future cruise: I don't know, but it was a nice gesture, to have made. A smaller gesture would have been a much appreciated action on the companies point.

I won't attack you (but will happily read the attacks :D).

The problem was the OP's position that a free cruise was in order.

A 25% off discount for a future cruise would be a nice gesture that might actually make money for Celebrity.

With a redemption date and the provision that it was for new bookings only, it would cost then next to nothing.

The people on Carnival missed a portion of their cruise, that is just as invalid as the OPS point. You were on your cruise for the whole time. What part of they missed days on a cruise and you didn't don't you understand.

I would suggest you also go read the contract.

On our very 1st cruise (NCL) we missed our last port-of-call, Victoria BC. I was devasted because I'd been dreaming about returning to Ferris Oyster Bar there for FIVE YEARS:rolleyes:!!! We were informed that Victoria was a no-go because of Azipod issues when we boarded the Pearl. They knew ahead of time and we got nothing:eek:!!

Then, can you believe on our 1st Med cruise with Celebrity, we had to miss Mykonos?? The reason given was that the port was closed due to high winds and tendering couldn't be risked!! There were quite a few like the OP and the Rowdys who were furious about missing Mykonos- they missed the point that Ship Happens but it wasn't the Ship Happens experience that the Carnival cruisers endured last year. And missing a port can't begin to be compared to the wreck of the Concordia..

We never even entertained any thought of "compensation" for missed ports. There are lots of disappointments in life and that is what occurred for cruisers on the Constellation who missed Cozumel- a disappointment not a disaster.

On our very 1st cruise (NCL) we missed our last port-of-call, Victoria BC. I was devasted because I'd been dreaming about returning to Ferris Oyster Bar there for FIVE YEARS:rolleyes:!!! We were informed that Victoria was a no-go because of Azipod issues when we boarded the Pearl. They knew ahead of time and we got nothing:eek:!!

Then, can you believe on our 1st Med cruise with Celebrity, we had to miss Mykonos?? The reason given was that the port was closed due to high winds and tendering couldn't be risked!! There were quite a few like the OP and the Rowdys who were furious about missing Mykonos- they missed the point that Ship Happens but it wasn't the Ship Happens experience that the Carnival cruisers endured last year. And missing a port can't begin to be compared to the wreck of the Concordia..

We never even entertained any thought of "compensation" for missed ports. There are lots of disappointments in life and that is what occurred for cruisers on the Constellation who missed Cozumel- a disappointment not a disaster.

Precisely.....and as someone else said if you absolutely MUST get to a certain location you should book a land trip not a cruise.....

We booked a Med cruise a few years ago BECAUSE it was going to Egypt. a dream of my DH's for his entire life....that stop got cancelled....we were disappointed but made the best of the extra days in other ports and had the best cruise we've ever been on. ...just saying....

And even if you book a land trip things can happen, flights go wrong, resorts get closed etc etc.

We all know the only thing certain in life is that event which means we cannot take any more cruises or....or...or

I suggest the OP learns that valuable lesson and moves on.

After all, there will have been people more greatly affected than him - how about the guides who lost a days work in the ports not visited etc etc etc

Precisely.....and as someone else said if you absolutely MUST get to a certain location you should book a land trip not a cruise.....

We booked a Med cruise a few years ago BECAUSE it was going to Egypt. a dream of my DH's for his entire life....that stop got cancelled....we were disappointed but made the best of the extra days in other ports and had the best cruise we've ever been on. ...just saying....

Off topic (so?) but we booked a Med cruise (Mariner) at final payment date, 2 summers ago.

It was only when reading the prior posts on our roll call, that I discovered the cruise originally had 2 Egyptian stops.

Glad I didn't know. :p

In December I took a 5 night Constellation cruise, that was hold up in Key West for two days. The ship missed Cozumel as a direct result and there was little to do, but be bored and drink. Considering this line, is owned by Royal Caribbean International, I believe I should receive the same treatment, as shown with the parent company!!!

March 26, 2014pixel.gif Royal Caribbean Refunds Cruise Fares for Passengers on Ship with Propulsion Problems

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5800

The issue is one of a competitively priced cruise not being able to deliver

the expected product, for some reason. The solution is simple. The cruise

line companies need to sustain an insurance company that provides damages

should any covered circumstance occurs for any reason. Allow the purchase

of what the insured wishes is adequate insurance to satisfy such an encumbrance. Since missed ports...etc. are fairly rare occurrences, insurance

is practical and allows for recompense in measure to the importance of the

loss. Just purchase a satisfactory amount. Makes sense to me after being

a major frequent user of the hospitality industry.

One persons' loss can be another's gain. We like sea days, so missing a port

is usually OK for us. Others don't agree, the should have insurance to reimburse them their value loss.

You are being ridiculous. The contract quite clearly states that they can only take your kidneys in order to recoup their costs if you exceed the drinks package limit. Be educated, people!

This post just caused me to snort Coke out of my nose-- I demand compensation from Cruise Critic.:rolleyes::eek::D

The issue is one of a competitively priced cruise not being able to deliver

the expected product, for some reason. The solution is simple. The cruise

line companies need to sustain an insurance company that provides damages

should any covered circumstance occurs for any reason. Allow the purchase

of what the insured wishes is adequate insurance to satisfy such an encumbrance. Since missed ports...etc. are fairly rare occurrences, insurance

is practical and allows for recompense in measure to the importance of the

loss. Just purchase a satisfactory amount. Makes sense to me after being

a major frequent user of the hospitality industry.

One persons' loss can be another's gain. We like sea days, so missing a port

is usually OK for us. Others don't agree, the should have insurance to reimburse them their value loss.

Someone's ultimately going to pay for the cost of the insurance. Guess who that will be. I work for a travel insurance company. I can tell you that cancellation coverage for any reason is expensive. Even if you defined a set of covered reasons for cancellation, the insurance provider will be getting some of the money-- better for the cruise line to absorb the occasional loss than pay a premium and helping generate more profits for an insurance company. The fact that they don't simply factor in the cost of the occasional loss due to itinerary changes resulting from weather, mechanical problems, political unrest, and the like, indicates that their business model is such that they'll lose more in reimbursing people for these losses than they'll gain in goodwill.

Their solution is to do what they do-- put language in the cruise contract that indemnifies them if there is a change in itinerary. From the contract--

a) Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below [pertains to cruises cancelled or terminated early], Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

If this is not satisfactory, don't accept the cruise contract, and don't cruise. If enough people feel that way, their revenue will drop and they may consider changing the business model. But apparently enough people (myself included) are okay with it as it is. I understand that there are things that can happen and it's somewhat of a risk, but I accept it and do not whine when an itinerary gets changed. It's not like they would not avoid the change if they at all possibly could.