Has Princess cracked down seat savers yet?

puggleperson

Those annoying pool lounge hogs.. . Any rules enforced yet? The last time I sailed was in 2012 and no one enforced any rules or said anything to those who piled their stuff on one lounge after another.. Curious if anything changed. Thanks!

I am sailing on the Emerald in 10 days time, a friend has just left the Emerald a few weeks ago. I got them to leave a towel, 2 books and a Princess bag on my favorite deck chair for when I get on next week. It is ok to do this isn't it.

It has been a year since we have been on Princess but it was awful! There was one group of people that was ridiculous.

One person would go to the pool and plop down 10 to 15 towels on chairs at about 7am. That person would stay there for about an hour when someone would come and relieve him so that he could go and eat. Finally at about 11am more would show up. They did this the whole cruise. If someone tried to move one of the towels the person watching over the towel group would throw a fit. It was quite annoying and inconsiderate!

This wasn't the only group saving chairs but it was the worse on that cruise.

It has been a year since we have been on Princess but it was awful! There was one group of people that was ridiculous.

One person would go to the pool and plop down 10 to 15 towels on chairs at about 7am. That person would stay there for about an hour when someone would come and relieve him so that he could go and eat. Finally at about 11am more would show up. They did this the whole cruise. If someone tried to move one of the towels the person watching over the towel group would throw a fit. It was quite annoying and inconsiderate!

On a cruise I was on a few years ago, people got so fed up with chair hogs that they threw all the belongings on chairs into the pool. After doing this a few times, people soon got the message. We need more pool lounge vigilantes like this, especially if the crew are not going to enforce the rules.

Those annoying pool lounge hogs.. . Any rules enforced yet? The last time I sailed was in 2012 and no one enforced any rules or said anything to those who piled their stuff on one lounge after another.. Curious if anything changed. Thanks!

It didn't look like it to me, we just got off the Coral Princess last week and walked through the pool area to find every chair with a towel on it and only 15-20 people in the area. This may have been an isolated incident, but I doubt it. We booked the Sanctuary for this very reason in spite of the recent price increase. I plan on doing a more in depth review of our experience there as soon as life gets back to normal. I will say that it was never at full capacity and I believe the increase had something to do with it.

Brad

I have no problem with lounging on somes saved chair and when I m done I remove the towel and place whatever else was saving the chair far underneath the chair so it won t get lost.

I have no problem with lounging on somes saved chair and when I m done I remove the towel and place whatever else was saving the chair far underneath the chair so it won t get lost.

Perfect. We should just say 'Sorry, seats can not be reserved. If you have a problem with this go and talk to the pool steward'

Edited by Tedferg

On or recent Ruby cruise the chair next to me was saved with a towel for well over an hour. My husband came to join me and sat in the chair. A woman 2 chairs away said you can't sit there. It is saved When I pointed out to her that it had been empty for over an hour she got quite nasty and said that the towel meant it was saved. When I said I thought you could not save chairs her reply was everyone does it. A towel on a chair means you can't sit there. She wasn't very nice and so we left. I wish the pool attendant would do their job and not make passengers confront chair hogs.

It will never end unless we force Princess to enforce their own policy. Ask for assistance and if they don't help, remove the articles yourself. Even if we leave for lunch we give up our chairs. (Especially when its a sea day and there are no chairs.) It happens at many hotels too, but if there is a clear policy statement, you can hold them to it.

On or recent Ruby cruise the chair next to me was saved with a towel for well over an hour. My husband came to join me and sat in the chair. A woman 2 chairs away said you can't sit there. It is saved When I pointed out to her that it had been empty for over an hour she got quite nasty and said that the towel meant it was saved. When I said I thought you could not save chairs her reply was everyone does it. A towel on a chair means you can't sit there. She wasn't very nice and so we left. I wish the pool attendant would do their job and not make passengers confront chair hogs.

Ohhh I don't like bullies! I wish you would've taken those chairs from her!!! Grrr...

Pretty much every line has this problem. Even when they try to enforce it, unless its an officer, people just completely disregard the crew member, yell at them, etc. Which puts the crew member in conflict between doing his job and customer service, both of which are drilled into their heads as priorities, and most back off.

Ideas have been bounced around many times, but honestly other than some kind of time card system, no one has come up with a completely workable solution.

On our last Island cruise, they were enforcing the no saved theatre seats in the first 20 rows or so, had an assistant cruise director doing it. I thought that was a good system as it kept the 'prime' seats clear but if people did need to save for a group they could go further back. Think that was a test.

Edited by Loonbeam

When we were on the Ruby last week, the pool attendants were a little bit slow in putting out the chairs. Anyone getting up at 7 a.m. would not have had any chairs to save yet. I'm the type who doesn't want to sit by the pool, so I never noticed if the chairs were all saved later in the day. I swam in the aft pool and the spa pool, using the amphitheater-like seats for my stuff while I was in the pools.

So they throw a hissy fit! :D Big Deal, what are they going to do, call the Pool Police? :confused:

On a cruise I was on a few years ago, people got so fed up with chair hogs that they threw all the belongings on chairs into the pool. After doing this a few times, people soon got the message. We need more pool lounge vigilantes like this, especially if the crew are not going to enforce the rules.

This sounds like the best way to handle those type of people! I doubt that they have leg to stand on when it comes to being in the right! :D

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

On our cruise on the Golden I swore I saw a sign posted stating no reserving of loungers. :eek: Also thought I saw a photo of that sign somewhere on CC.

This was on the Caribbean Princess in January....

IMG_1440.JPG

Norris

norrisadair.blogspot.com

I gave up long ago sitting at pool. We always get a balcony and we sit there and read .

On a South America cruise, there was a woman saving a load of pool chairs. They were getting ready to do the Crossing the Equator ceremony. So my group just removed her towels on four of the chairs and sat down. She was screaming at us in a foreign language. Then her husband arrived and he screamed , called one of my friends Fat(funny as he was a big heavy guy). There was still a chair for he and his wife but apparently he wanted about a dozen. Turned out their friends were doing the same thing on other side of pool, so they moved.No pool staff came over even with the huge shouting going on from these people.

As far as hogs in the theatre, they are alive and well. Unfortunately that is my pet peeve. We have our favorite rows to sit in and always arrive early. Arriving early, and someone telling me he is reserving the whole row, really gets me mad. My husband has to tell me to control myself and walk me to other chairs, I get really mad. Once I just sat down, and the guy saving the whole row, moved to another row to do the same thing.

As you can see from the respnses here the answer is no and that won't change. Princess does not want the confrontation, and this carries over into other situations onboard as well.

Pretty much every line has this problem. Even when they try to enforce it, unless its an officer, people just completely disregard the crew member, yell at them, etc. Which puts the crew member in conflict between doing his job and customer service, both of which are drilled into their heads as priorities, and most back off.

As I stated above Princess does not want the confrontation. An Officer being present will not make any difference. Passengers will yell at an officer just as easily.

My pet peeve is rule breakers. I see it all the time. On the Royal last year I saw towels on loungers on deck 7 for hours with no one around. If I had wanted to sit there I would have no problem removing the towels. I am not a person to be a trouble maker at all but rules are rules. Too bad if they get angry.