Tip your bar servers!!!!!!!

Thread raised before.

I always discreetly give $10.00 per seated session, albeit CL, DL or a Bar.

Sadly, many cruisers "forget" or their brain just switches to "ignore".

But thank you for raising the matter - you are very kind and thoughtful -

The more awareness of this is raised, it should then make it better for all servers.

We'll done:D

I can understand tipping the bar personnel for Diamond free drinks. But, has everyone forgetten that you are already paying a tip that is automatically added to every drink you order.

Hmm, OK. Guys - :)

OP's new thread here is specific to Explorer which does not have a Diamond Lounge or Concierge Lounge until her refurbishment. We may assume that other ships without will go this way too. It only applies to Diamond and up C&A members, and Concierge Lounge members who are sailing in a suite. Yes? Does that clear it up a little? :)

If you do not have access to either of these nightly events, then don't even worry about this. Life goes on as usual. It's just that in the DL and CL, there are bar staff who bring complimentary drinks to the members; since there is no additional charge for the drinks, they are not given the "usual" gratuity of 15% for selling you the drink. Right? As OP said, 15% of 0 is 0.

And I do not want to sound pompous here in any way. I am not elite and Laney219 is not steerage. I actually hate those terms. :( Everyone is working their way up through the various C&A levels and we'll all get there eventually. :)

Explorer does have a CL.

Hmm, OK. Guys - :)

OP's new thread here is specific to Explorer which does not have a Diamond Lounge or Concierge Lounge until her refurbishment. We may assume that other ships without will go this way too. It only applies to Diamond and up C&A members, and Concierge Lounge members who are sailing in a suite. Yes? Does that clear it up a little?

If you do not have access to either of these nightly events, then don't even worry about this. Life goes on as usual. It's just that in the DL and CL, there are bar staff who bring complimentary drinks to the members; since there is no additional charge for the drinks, they are not given the "usual" gratuity of 15% for selling you the drink. Right? As OP said, 15% of 0 is 0.

And I do not want to sound pompous here in any way. I am not elite and Laney219 is not steerage. I actually hate those terms. :( Everyone is working their way up through the various C&A levels and we'll all get there eventually. :)

Actually, Karen, the Explorer DOES have a Concierge Lounge; just not a Diamond Lounge. I had a longer even more detailed original post typed out, but Cruise Critic lost it before it posted. :(. Since I am typing on my phone, laziness set in, I guess. ;)

But this is at least the 3rd RC ship that I have heard about using coupons for the free drinks: indepence and Freedom were the first two.

Sounds like the Royal Caribbean "wave of the future "

:)

Dear Diamond & up Crown & Anchor members:

More and more ships are putting three drink "vouchers" on your SeaPass card. You can still go to the CL or DL if you are eligible. The vouchers are good between 5 & 8:30 P.M. This has only benefits; there is no downside.

I am currently on the Explorer of the Seas, where there is no DL. Diamonds can get three drinks now, not just wine & soda. Same kind of standard drinks as in DL and CL.

BUT

BUT

BUT

PLEASE tip your bar waiters!!!!

Out there at random bars around the ship, they get NOTHING except what you give them.

PLEASE give them a gratuity!!!!!

Carol, we always tip even in the CL & DL:cool:

It's a good reminder so we carry some cash with us, Carol... thanks.

We get so used to putting everything on our card that we often leave our cash in the safe.

Carol, we always tip even in the CL & DL:cool:

We usually tip each night we go to the DL/CL as well, but I know a lot of people that tip their lounge bar server at the end of the cruise.

Ellen,

I do the same thing. There is an additional tip form available from guest services. I get the bar servers names in the CL and tip them via that form for the entire cruise. On one TA the Diamond Lounge was the entire Viking Crown on the Brilliance and it was crazy with different servers all over the place. Found out from the DL Concierge I could specify the "Diamond Lounge Bar Service Team" to cover everyone.

I don't like running around with cash and tipping the CL servers every time they bring me a drink. I also don't want to keep score day by day.

However, the vouchers bring on a new dimension. If I ever get to use them on a cruise, I will be sure to bring tip money. That will be easy to do.

Carol - thanks for the reminder.

I am so sorry that we did not meet!!!!

Or did we, and I didn't know that it was you? ;)

Were you on Explorer the past eight days? If you spent time in the CL I would guess we probably met!:) Denzil was wonderful and Ajay top notch!

Merion Mom..... If it is not to much trouble, could you let me know how this program works step by step. How do you how much to tip if you don't know the price of the drinks since it is free? Do you still need to sign a receipt confirming the purchase of the drinks and can leave a tip on there or should we carry cash when we are going to use our free drink vouchers? Thanks!!!

I would treat them in the same way I do the bar servers in the DL or CL, if they serve we with a welcoming smile and then they get a tip, if they remember my name and drink they get a bigger one.

If they remember me from a previous ship, it goes up again. Somehow I am more popular with the bar servers than I am with my bank manager :D

ROTFLMAO, Chip! :p

Hi MM, just off Explorer today. Indeed the bar servers are not too happy with the new program. One problem is that they all do not have access to all the complimentary drinks available with the coupon. The port wine was one example. The second comment was that they are not getting the usual 15% tips.

As a second point. If you have access to the Concierge Lounge, please remember to tip your waiters. The service there was great and I know many guests did not leave tips.

Just got off the Explorer today. Enjoyed my drinks in the Vicking Crown and did tip our bartender. The lounge begins with M is The Diamond Lounge and un limited drinks from 5-8:30. but limited selection.

Great reminder, Also, if you like your server in the CL or DL ask if they are also working a bar during the day. On the next to the last day (of a 17 night cruise!) we learned by accident that Rosario, the server in the CL, was working during the day at the sky bar on sea days and at another bar on port days.

Rosario was one of the most efficient servers we have ever had in any DL or CL. He remembered everyone's name and what they ordered and 90% of the time had refills ready before you asked - remarkable. We would have been happy to give him more business if we had thought to ask.

Edited by kccrzr

I can understand tipping the bar personnel for Diamond free drinks. But, has everyone forgetten that you are already paying a tip that is automatically added to every drink you order.

On the Explorer, you could get the free drinks between 5 and 8:30 (I think) at any bar. Those drinks cost zero, so there is no tip added, which is why she made the reminder.

FWIW, we just gave an extra buck per drink when we got them. It's what we would have normally done anyway, so I guess we're not being as generous since there's no 15% added.

Cheers.

I would treat them in the same way I do the bar servers in the DL or CL, if they serve we with a welcoming smile and then they get a tip, if they remember my name and drink they get a bigger one.

If they remember me from a previous ship, it goes up again. Somehow I am more popular with the bar servers than I am with my bank manager :D

If you ever cruise with Chip and his lovely bride, you will understand why the servers in the lounge make sure that they are always taken care of.:D

Carol, whether it be for the free coupons on EX or just enjoying a libation in the CL or DL, it's great that you gave all of us a reminder of how important it is to tip.;)

I do it with every server in any bar onboard, and the bar people in the CL and DL split their tips, so if there is more than one, tipping one will take care of the other as well.

Cash is king with bar people............and sometimes brings some very nice pours!!

Rick

Hi MM, just off Explorer today. Indeed the bar servers are not too happy with the new program. One problem is that they all do not have access to all the complimentary drinks available with the coupon. The port wine was one example. The second comment was that they are not getting the usual 15% tips.

As a second point. If you have access to the Concierge Lounge, please remember to tip your waiters. The service there was great and I know many guests did not leave tips.

We always tip our drink servers in the CL/DL......we are D+. However, you may not see me actually handing him the envelope with the tip. On our last cruise, when I handed our wait staff the envelope, no one saw me thus you would assume that I did not tip. I have never not tipped but, I do it discretely.

Carol, I was going to start a thread on this EXACT topic (you know why)!!!

Here's the thing: it's very nice of you (or me) to post such a "reminder" to CC readers -- however, it is really the responsibility of the C&A Staff (Or Guest Services) to ensure that ALL Diamonds and above know that the tip is NOT included in the bill in the case of these "free" drinks loaded on the seapass card. (Also that it is appropriate to tip servers in the Concierge Lounge, Diamond Lounge -- and, I assume, at Diamond events -- for providing drink service during happy hour.)

Despite multiple comments that "15% of 0 is 0" -- the receipt clearly states that the 15% gratuity is INCLUDED in the bill -- and I thought that meant if the "free" drink was showing as $7.00 in value, that the actual drink was $6.10 and the tip was .90!!!! Who would imagine that the waitstaff received nothing? On the drink packages, it's very clear that the tip is INCLUDED in the total price.

Imagine my shock to have been basically insulted by a waiter in the Schooner bar for not writing in an "additional tip for exceptional service" and sarcastically stating that he works for free. If he had gently informed me that EVERY bill had the 15% note automatically printed, but in fact the waitstaff received NO tip out of the billed amount, I would have tipped immediately... in fact, I wanted to go back and tip the other servers who had provided the free drinks during the happy hour on the card -- with no comment, complaint or dirty looks -- for the previous several days!!

As a frequent (Diamond) cruiser, a fanatic Cruise Critic reader, and someone who is very attentive to tipping waitstaff, you'd think if ANYONE would know that they were getting no tip from this "free" drink, it would be me -- but I had no idea. I went back and read the letter from C&A and it gave NO indication that the amount shown on the bill did NOT include a tip and that we should feel free to use the "additional tip" line on our bills to provide the appropriate gratuity for service. Sigh.

Again, thanks Carol for pointing this out to Cruise Critic readers -- I was about to do the same for others -- but I really feel this is the responsibility of C&A and/or Guest Services to ensure that Diamonds and above are properly informed about this situation. As many of us have stated, however many of us are on Cruise Critic, we are a tiny portion of the entire cruising public, and MANY people do not know that their servers are indeed working for nothing when they serve these "free" drinks in the CL, DL, or at Diamond Events, or at bars around the ship during happy hour.

In other words, when I read other "tipping in the Concierge Lounge" threads, I thought that was ONLY for people who actually utilized concierge services such as booking show tickets or dinner reservations, helping with shore excursions, arranging for cabanas, etc. It never occurred to me that one would tip for the happy hour drink service -- or that if you didn't, these people were "working for free".

Admittedly, as someone who turned Diamond shortly AFTER we lost Concierge lounge privileges (and who doesn't drink alcohol) I didn't think I'd have to worry about these issues for a while, if ever... but with the advent of Diamond Lounges, and free drinks being coded onto our cards, it is important to be informed about proper tipping etiquette... and while I'm grateful to my fellow (more experienced) cruisers for pointing me in the right direction, I do feel that the cruise line should make this information available, clearly, to Diamond and above cruisers.

May I ask: how do different people handle this? Do you walk around with a pocket full of singles? How do you remember who served you at a Diamond Event or in a Diamond Lounge or Concierge Lounge if you decide to tip at the end of the week? Are they the same servers all week long? (At the various bars you don't have to remember who it is, because they give you the receipt where you can write in on the "additional tip" line -- once you are informed that this is not an "additional" tip but indeed the ONLY tip -- but surely you do not receive a bill in the lounges or at the events, do you?!?!) For those who said you tip at the Welcome Back party or the Top Tier C&A party, how do you do it?!?! Please share!

It would never occur to me not to tip a cruise ship server whether in the CL/DL or one filling a complementary drink perk - I always add an additional tip for good service. I take lots of bills with me on the cruise - smaller ones for the one off drink orders and larger for the lounges.

In the CL/DL, I always give a tip on the first night I go to that venue and then a larger tip at the end. At the pool, where I don't want to be bothered with my wallet and money, I just add the additional tip to the invoice. Otherwise, I try to use cash.

Edited by kccrzr