Best Pizza at Sea!

Podie

I just wrote a review for my 3/3/14 Equinox cruise and forgot to write that it had THE best pizza of any ship I've been on, including MSC Cruises while sailing in Italy! The dough and pizza are made fresh and it is SO good served right out of the oven!

I agree, but Celebrity's when it is fresh out of the oven is not far behind.

Podie: Best Pizza at Sea! It is SO good served right out of the oven!

The key point is getting the pizza in the Oceanview Cafe area when it is FRESH and HOT coming right out of the oven. If it's been sitting out for some time' date=' that great taste is most likely lost. As noted in the live/blog below, we just got off of the Solstice last month. Enjoyed the pizza during our trip. Below is a visual from our June 2011 Solstice trip getting the hot pizza and the friendly staff.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 48,310 views for this fun posting.

At the handy and quick Oceanview Cafe buffet, the pizza can be very good when it is hot and coming fresh right out of the oven.:

SolsticeOceanviewPizza.jpg

Hands down, Princess. Thin, hot, fresh, and scrumptious. My favorite thing about Princess.

No question about it. Their pizza is the better than most to be found on land. Except on their small ships where it's quite ordinary. But who chooses a cruise for its pizza? Not I, but I think Princess' food is a small cut above X's for my taste.

HAL's pizza has to be the worst. Picture the worst frozen pizza you have ever eaten then double your displeasure. It's that bad! A little cheese and a little sauce on a cardboard like crust.

I know at one time MSC Cruises was awarded Best Pizza at Sea. I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as the pizza on the Equinox. I had the pizza on the Century two weeks before and it was nowhere as good as that on Equinox.

Interesting. I used to love the pizza on Celebrity. Now with their new vendor, not so much.

I've saved many a calorie since Celebrity changed their pizza style. I used to stop by but the new offerings are now a last resort.. but then it has been quite a while since we have been on Equinox.

The slab they now serve on Connie, Eclipse, Century bares no resemblance to TLCOhio's picture of the traditional style I savoured.

Unfortunately we prefer Alfredo's Pizza on Princess too. You get the whole pizza as soon as it comes out of the oven served to you at a table. However it's only available on just a few ships including the Sapphire which used to sail here on the west coast.

Sure wish Celebrity could make a pizza that good.

The absolute best pizza is not on any ship .The best pizza made is NYC pizza fired in a brick oven :D:D:D. The cruise line pizza's are 2nd & 3rd class copies at best:o .Just don't have the taste nor quality of NYC pizza

Interesting. I used to love the pizza on Celebrity. Now with their new vendor, not so much.

I agree Linda. I thought the last version of Celebrity's Pizza was quite good, and this is coming from someone who lived most of his life in New York City ! :)

The new Pizza ? I really do not care for it, and - it doesn't hold up well. As soon as it's warm or cooler, it's cardboard. If it's right out of the oven, it's decent - but still not nearly as good as the Pizza they had previously.

From what I have sampled on Cruise lines - Princess had the best Pizza, but that was a few years ago. We will probably sail on Princess this Summer, so it will be interesting to see if it's as good as what I recall.

Edited by Host Andy

Having been fortunate to have cruises on 14 different lines (over lots of years) we think that Princess pizza blows away all the competition. In fact, it is not even close. Princess was dragged into the pizza business when they acquired Sitmar (1988). Sitmar was an Italian crewed line and had great pizza/pasta parlors on their ships where the cooking was done by Italian professionals. When Princess took over a few of the old Sitmar ships they decided to expand the pizza offerings to all their vessels...and they maintained the Sitmar tradition of making all their pizza dough fresh, hand forming the pizzas, etc.

Had to smile at Mccruisers comment about NYC pizza (that is our birth city) which is indeed great. DW (who was a long time New Yorker) thinks that Princess pizza reminds her of NYC pizza...although I would call it a very distant cousin.

Hank