Bringing DIET Gatorade & Water on Board - Medical Need

Okay... I spoke with RCCL and they say NO DRINKS - strictly enforced - except 2 bottles of wine....

Well, what if you don't drink wine? Could I substitute those 2 bottles of wine for 2 big bottles of water (or my coveted Diet Pepsi - I loathe Coke products!)..

More importantly, I know they say you can't bring it all on board, but as of lately, have people encountered any issues? Like I said, I'm a diet PEPSI girl.. slightly addicted. While I can get it in ports, it's my "coffee" in the morning, so I would love to be able to bring enough on for that...

And, we have 2 will-be toddlers. One is a cardiac patient and we need to have water pretty much at our disposal for him (and I'm a little hesitant to rely upon the water they have on board - I'm picky about the brand(s) I will give them because of the added "nutrients" and other stuff in them...) Additionally water-wise, my older son will ONLY drink out of a specific brand of water bottle (it has a pop-top), and hates all other brands & won't drink water from a cup.... so, I'd like to be able to bring at least a few bottles for him for that reason.

Lastly - on Gatorade ---> I've heard they offer PowerAde in the drink add on, but last I checked, there isn't a low carb/low sugar option that they'd have available. I'm diabetic & cannot have the higher sugar stuff, but *need* Gatorade after running, and my husband has the same *need* after working out... and, similarly, our kids will NOT drink Pedialite for replenishment - only this Gatorade, so if they were to get sick, I'd like to have some available to us...

That said - should we bring all this up to the accessibility department (and would these things even be considered special needs/exceptions)? I don't want to unnecessarily "red flag" our account/cabin! :eek: But, we've never encountered this with having sailed CCL in the past...

Okay... I spoke with RCCL and they say NO DRINKS - strictly enforced - except 2 bottles of wine....

Well, what if you don't drink wine? Could I substitute those 2 bottles of wine for 2 big bottles of water (or my coveted Diet Pepsi - I loathe Coke products!)..

More importantly, I know they say you can't bring it all on board, but as of lately, have people encountered any issues? Like I said, I'm a diet PEPSI girl.. slightly addicted. While I can get it in ports, it's my "coffee" in the morning, so I would love to be able to bring enough on for that...

And, we have 2 will-be toddlers. One is a cardiac patient and we need to have water pretty much at our disposal for him (and I'm a little hesitant to rely upon the water they have on board - I'm picky about the brand(s) I will give them because of the added "nutrients" and other stuff in them...) Additionally water-wise, my older son will ONLY drink out of a specific brand of water bottle (it has a pop-top), and hates all other brands & won't drink water from a cup.... so, I'd like to be able to bring at least a few bottles for him for that reason.

Lastly - on Gatorade ---> I've heard they offer PowerAde in the drink add on, but last I checked, there isn't a low carb/low sugar option that they'd have available. I'm diabetic & cannot have the higher sugar stuff, but *need* Gatorade after running, and my husband has the same *need* after working out... and, similarly, our kids will NOT drink Pedialite for replenishment - only this Gatorade, so if they were to get sick, I'd like to have some available to us...

That said - should we bring all this up to the accessibility department (and would these things even be considered special needs/exceptions)? I don't want to unnecessarily "red flag" our account/cabin! :eek: But, we've never encountered this with having sailed CCL in the past...

O.K. here goes.....

In regards to Diet Pepsi....I'm with you. Not a Diet Coke fan. However, with the other drink issues, I would suffer through this one and get your fixes in the ports.

What brands of water work for your kids? If the ship doesn't offer them, I would talk to a RCCL rep about this specific need as it relates to your children's health. This would be my primary concern.

Lastly, Powerade does have a zero carb option. However, I'm not sure if the ship sells any. I would ask for other past guests for their input. Short of this, I recommend water from the ship (or bottles) and G2 powder that can be packed in your suitcase.

Edited by comxkid

We've never had an issue taking on with us cases of water and coke. With the water we even put a luggage tag on it and it was delivered. The coke, we purchased bottles and took them through security. They looked to make sure they were still sealed and let us by with them. If you truly have a medical need I don't see RC denying this request.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

We've never had an issue taking on with us cases of water and coke. With the water we even put a luggage tag on it and it was delivered. The coke, we purchased bottles and took them through security. They looked to make sure they were still sealed and let us by with them. If you truly have a medical need I don't see RC denying this request.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Officially speaking, RCCL does not allow you be bring aboard beverages (other than wine). As you noted, sometimes they let you. But, I can also tell you from experience that sometimes they don't. Again, talk with RCCL about your children's medical needs and you shouldn't have an issue. And try to carry on Diet Pepsi and G2, but be prepared either way with those.

Hand case to porter, have them tag it. I tape them up so they don't tear when being handled. If RCI has a discrepancy with your item you'll at least be called to security to put a claim ticket on it; they won't destroy your beverages if they are in sealed, original containers. I never have brought soda on board, my water has always arrived without issue.

If you are especially worried about a particular item, carry it on along with a letter.

Barring that, maybe Gatorade makes a single serve tube of mix designed for water bottles or makes those liquid concentrate droplets (I bring two of those onboard to flavor water; i.e. Mio or Crystal Light).

That's my 2 cents on it; I don't think you will have an issue at all.

I just got off the Grandeur on Friday and I tool 2 very large bottles of water in my carry on. They just shook it to make sure it wasn't alcohol and put it back in my carry on. No problems. Maybe it depends on what port. I never had a problem with Baltimore or New Jersey. And I have also taken Diet Pepsi along too. Not anymore, because I am trying to get off the stuff and stick to water.

Gwen :)

I just got off the Jewel of the Sea last week. We brought a case of water and threw a luggage tag on it and handed it along with our luggage to the porter. We also had a large bottle of Coke in our carryon. They looked to see if it was sealed and sent us through. We haven't had any problems but I know the rules state that you can't.

If there is a medical need, contact Guest services ahead, they can be remarkably helpful. My daughter has a medical condition where sometimes she can't eat anything but soft foods - and in particular, Dannon Coffee Yogurt, because it's not so sweet and it doesn't make her blood sugar go wonky. I contacted RCI months in advance, and asked if by any chance they carried that brand and flavor of yogurt on board, told them why, and asked if they didn't have it if we could bring on our own. They said they would provide it for her, but I was a bit skeptical. Lo and behold, they actually obtained two cases of it for her, and made it available through room service any time she needed it! Two cases - JUST for her! We were very impressed! We just had to remind them of it a few weeks before our departure date.

Edited by TequilaToo

All those different drinks your family requires be brought aboard the RCCL ship could be problematic if the port decides to not allow them brought aboard. What will you do at that point?

We've sailed CCL and they are allowed on there - it may prove to be a better fit for your family until the children are older. :confused:

As others have said get in touch with special needs to see what they can do. If somehow this does not satisfy your needs get a note from the doctors. Either way you should be able to make the water and gatorade needs for your family work.

Just off Indy 3/15/14 sailing. We bought a case of water, taped one of our RC luggage tags to it and handed it to the porter with a couple of dollars. The case of water ended up in our room with no problems. Our friends, in addition to their case of water, taped a luggage tag on a case of Gatorade. Both the water and the Gatorade made it to their room.

Just off Indy 3/15/14 sailing. We bought a case of water, taped one of our RC luggage tags to it and handed it to the porter with a couple of dollars. The case of water ended up in our room with no problems. Our friends, in addition to their case of water, taped a luggage tag on a case of Gatorade. Both the water and the Gatorade made it to their room.

As noted, this works at many ports - but not at others, so your experience may be completely different from what OP encounters.

Can't you just bring empty water bottles of the type your kids will drink from and fill them onboard? Ship's water is made just like most bottled types. Gatorade comes in powdered form - no problem bringing that.

Additionally water-wise, my older son will ONLY drink out of a specific brand of water bottle (it has a pop-top), and hates all other brands & won't drink water from a cup

would these things even be considered special needs/exceptions)?

You would have a hard time convincing me that a toddler's refusal to drink all but one brand of water warranted a medical need for a different brand. Luckily though, I'm not the person you need to convince. :D

Can you not just bring one of his empty pop top bottles and pour the ship's water or bottled water into it? Seems like that would at least cut down on some of what you are hoping to carry on board.

We are leaving next week on our cruise. My grandaughter has a special formula she uses mixed with purified water. I contacted the special needs dept and the man I spoke to told me they cannot provide purtfied water so to just bring whatever water we need and give it to the porter with a luggage tag attached. So.....I hope this works.

We are leaving next week on our cruise. My grandaughter has a special formula she uses mixed with purified water. I contacted the special needs dept and the man I spoke to told me they cannot provide purtfied water so to just bring whatever water we need and give it to the porter with a luggage tag attached. So.....I hope this works.

Wouldn't it be easier to just bring a Brita filter?

If there is a medical need, contact Guest services ahead, they can be remarkably helpful...

Agreed. You can't just call RCI again and hope they will say something different next time (although we know this has happened before! - just usually not in one's favor). The special needs department info is on the website.

Have a friend who cannot use the ships water (she's got an allergy problem with Evian), so RCCL told her to get a note from her doctor and tape it to the case of spring water and put through with porters. She's done it on three trips now an never an issue:D

Many of your items don't seem like needs but "wants" ... ie, Gatorade has and will never be a need after exercising. I only mention it because I'm not a medical professional and the person who makes the decision won't be either. With that being said, you should be OK, but ....

Agreed. You can't just call RCI again and hope they will say something different next time (although we know this has happened before! - just usually not in one's favor). The special needs department info is on the website.

I found the e-mail address for Guests with Special Needs it's special_needs@rccl.com. If these are true medical needs, they should be able to help.

Sometimes you just need to make a sacrifice. Note, you can't always get it in ports either, since Pepsi, is not as international as Coke. Heck, in Europe, I only saw Coke, and never once saw Pepsi. You will survive!!!!

And, we have 2 will-be toddlers. One is a cardiac patient and we need to have water pretty much at our disposal for him (and I'm a little hesitant to rely upon the water they have on board - I'm picky about the brand(s) I will give them because of the added "nutrients" and other stuff in them...)

I'm thinking here that you have an unfortunite situation with a sick child. First, I wondering why you are only worried about the "water" and not everything else? Based on the age, did the Doctor say he can go? You do realize, the ship, is not set up to handle major issues medically? How about his medicine etc? With all these questions, you are worried about water? Please contact the medical needs department. I'm sure they will allow the water, but today is April Fools, and it seems like your post isn't quite right?

Additionally water-wise, my older son will ONLY drink out of a specific brand of water bottle (it has a pop-top), and hates all other brands & won't drink water from a cup.... so, I'd like to be able to bring at least a few bottles for him for that reason.

Assuming this is just an excuse to get water on board for April Fool's, maybe it is time to teach your kid to drink regular water. Afterall, at some point in his life, he will need to. Can't live on a specific water bottle for the rest of his life. Note, water is tasteless, therefore, for the time being, just keep refilling the bottle when not looking.

Don't believe it's a need, water will be ok for the week. It's only a week without.

Sometimes it is good to adapt, and experience new things. RCCL has freestyle coke machines, and you and your kids will love to experiement on new flavors in life!

As noted, this works at many ports - but not at others, so your experience may be completely different from what OP encounters.

Can't you just bring empty water bottles of the type your kids will drink from and fill them onboard? Ship's water is made just like most bottled types. Gatorade comes in powdered form - no problem bringing that.

I wish folks would not post things that are absolutely not true. All ships take on some of their water from shore-side facilities, just look for the Blue fire hoses running to the ship when you are in port.

Wouldn't it be easier to just bring a Brita filter?

Of course but this is the way my son & daughter-in-law mix the formula with bottled purified water and they do not want to change the routine on the cruise. My grandaughter is 5 yrs old and doesn't eat and is fed through a tube.

I'd give up on the Pepsi since that's a total preference thing. I prefer Pepsi too, but i suck it up for a week & drink other stuff. You might find something else you like.

On the water if you truly "need" a specific brand & they have to be sport bottles then bring a case & slap on a luggage tag. The bottled water they have on board doesn't have any additives. You could also bring a sport reusable sport bottle & fill it with their bottled water for your son. Maybe bring a Dr's note if you can get one.

Again with the Gatorade I'd bring the powdered packets or Mio stuff if you truly 'need' it. My diabetic husband just drinks water after exercise, but that's not saying everyone it's good enough for everyone because of the different levels of severity. They also have the Gatorade gum, I don't know if that would be an option.

I'm just thinking I'm hoping you're driving because I can't imagine trying to fly with cases of water, Gatorade & Pepsi & what the baggage fees would be.

I really do not like to drink a lot of sugared products and cannot drink caffeine after noon, so I drink either caffeine free diet sodas or water if that is not available. I prefer Coke products personally, but have been known to drink Pepsi products if the Coke stuff is not available. To me there is a difference, but it is not a major difference. I can live with either.

Of course but this is the way my son & daughter-in-law mix the formula with bottled purified water and they do not want to change the routine on the cruise. My grandaughter is 5 yrs old and doesn't eat and is fed through a tube.

In that case, carry on the water AND a doctor's note. Shouldn't be a problem then.