Please help with choosing D1 cabin on Serenade OTS

I have the choice between aft cabins 8168 and 8170 on the Serenade of the Seas for a Baltic cruise, or hump cabins 9576, 9578 or 9580.

When I was last on the Serenade, we had aft cabin 9256, which was very wide, but on the deck plan for 8168, there seems to be a line indicating a partition on the port side of the balcony, that does not show on 9256. Is 8168 not as wide as 9256?

Any comments or opinions would be most gratefully received.

I have the choice between aft cabins 8168 and 8170 on the Serenade of the Seas for a Baltic cruise, or hump cabins 9576, 9578 or 9580.

When I was last on the Serenade, we had aft cabin 9256, which was very wide, but on the deck plan for 8168, there seems to be a line indicating a partition on the port side of the balcony, that does not show on 9256. Is 8168 not as wide as 9256?

good choices are 9078/9092 or 1056/1558

we were in 9092 before and the huge balcony and central hump location were ideal!!

On Jewel, Serenade's twin, there is no partition on the balcony. But it is narrower than 9256 - there was only a single lounger instead of the 2 that 9256 had.

But if you enjoy the wake view, I would still go for 8168. I have heard that, since the renovations, the Centrum is extremely noisy with a lot more activities and that some hump cabins can hear pretty much everything going on. I don't have a any first hand experience with that, though. I'm normally a committed aft fan unless the price is right for a hump cabin.

We love #9576...have stayed in this cabin several times. Large wedge-shaped (sort of like two thirds of a pie wedge if you can picture that)balcony, with lounger and reg. chairs and table. I think a second lounger would fit if you needed one. You would just have less walking room. it is very conveniently located and we have never heard any noise from the Centrum, elevators, or hallway when cabin door is closed. Great cabin, IMO. Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!:D

We had both cabins on Serenade last year . We were in 8168 and our sons in 8170. 8168 is a corner cabin and wider balcony but it does narrow quite a bit towards the outside edge. 8170 is not as wide but is deeper. It's correct that there were 2 loungers on 8170 but only 1 on 8168.

We are sailing on Serenade again next month and have chosen 8168 again as we like being in a corner aft. It wouldn't be as big as deck 9 as the higher the corner balcony the deeper it becomes. If you google for pics of aft Radiance class you will see what I mean.

Edited by Bobal

I am really appreciating all of the comments. Thanks for taking the time to post.

If anyone has a photo of D1-8168, I would love to see it.

Also, if anyone has photos or links to photos of Serenade after the refit, I would love to see those as well. I have found some on Google and Cruise Critic but would love to see more!

Thanks again! :)

Be careful with cabins #9576-80 as they may be noisy from the music and entertainment emanating from the Centrum. We had a cabin across #9078 hump with a huge balcony, but we had to vacate as the room was very noisy and could not get to sleep as the music on our Med. cruise went to 12:30am just about every nite.

If you are a light sleeper and/or go to sleep early I would also pick an aft cabin. We have had 2 cabins near the hump on Radiance class ships and we could hear all the Centrum music.

I am surprised to read this. I am a super light sleeper and had a D1 right off the centrum (9092) and never heard a peep. weird...

I am surprised to read this. I am a super light sleeper and had a D1 right off the centrum (9092) and never heard a peep. weird...

Since the refurb they've added extra speakers in the Centrum to highlight the music. As a matter of fact the noise level was so high during Centrum performances, that we had a very hard time conversing with the Guest Services personnel. It was so bad the first couple of nites that I tried sleeping in the balcony lounge chairs, to no avail. They even closed the emergency fire doors during the performance, but it made it worse as Paxs were going to their rooms and the doors are loud when they close. Anyway, thank God there was cabin # 8126 available and transferred out stuff at midnite on the 3rd nite. Finally was able to get a good nite sleep.

Be careful with cabins #9576-80 as they may be noisy from the music and entertainment emanating from the Centrum. We had a cabin across #9078 hump with a huge balcony, but we had to vacate as the room was very noisy and could not get to sleep as the music on our Med. cruise went to 12:30am just about every nite.

Cabin #9078 mentioned above is positioned slightly closer to the Centrum than cabin #9576 which I recommended in my previous post. As i stated in my post, we have stayed in #9576 more than once and never heard any noise(music, etc.) from the Centrum. :)

Cabin #9078 mentioned above is positioned slightly closer to the Centrum than cabin #9576 which I recommended in my previous post. As i stated in my post, we have stayed in #9576 more than once and never heard any noise(music, etc.) from the Centrum. :)

Ooops...just saw the post about the new speakers in the Centrum. If that is the case, the noise may be a factor. Why would they do that. The music was plenty loud enough before.:mad:

Thanks everyone for posting.

With your help, we have chosen 8170, as we like the aft view, might be a bit cranky with a noisy cabin, and don't mind walking the bit extra. 8168 looks great too, but will take the cabin where we know we can fit two loungers.

I feel like we have made an "informed choice". I love Cruise Critic!! :D

Agree with nelblu. We enjoyed the large balcony for breakfast daily as our adult children were able to join us (they had an inside room). The music from the Centrum was very loud. We like music but when the cruise is very port intense, like our sleep as well. To combat this, we used earplugs and opened the balcony door. Those across the hall in an inside cabin really suffered. Thus, my advice would be to stay further away from the Centrum

The Serenade has a lovely sailaway from any port area. The back of the Windjammer is open. It is a wonderful way to relax after a day of site seeing. Grab a snack, coffee, wine and just watch the wake. We miss this on other ships!!

• 3 weeks later...
Are the aft balconies on Serenade open to the cabins about or completely covered? How is the motion compared to the voyager class?

Radiance class ships are slightly smaller than Voyager class ships so there is a fraction more motion. That being said, it's really not enough to notice the difference.

As for covered, no not really. The stern balconies are relatively more open compared to the side balconies, but there is a slight angle on the stern so higher deck balconies can see into lower deck balconies to a certain extent.

Radiance class ships are slightly smaller than Voyager class ships so there is a fraction more motion. That being said, it's really not enough to notice the difference.

As for covered, no not really. The stern balconies are relatively more open compared to the side balconies, but there is a slight angle on the stern so higher deck balconies can see into lower deck balconies to a certain extent.

thank you

We just had 1056 in march and didn't have any noise issues. The hallway door was shut each evening around 10pm. We came back from dinner the first night to a shut door....and security was coming down the hall and he said we shut it to help everyone have a quieter evening that have turned in for the night. Heck we didn't hear anything with the door open and the music was blasting by a great band...too...

love this cabin....ahhhh to be there right now

With your help, we have chosen 8170, as we like the aft view, might be a bit cranky with a noisy cabin, and don't mind walking the bit extra. 8168 looks great too, but will take the cabin where we know we can fit two loungers.

What a timely question! Looking at booking my first RC cruise in 10 years....so I knew to read the forum before deciding on a cabin.

The recommendations have been quite helpful to me....as also looking @ a D1 (Caribbean though, as doing Baltic next month)

Hope we cruise together again sometime. (Last was Med 2009 Solstice):)

Hello. I have 8168 booked on a future cruise. I made that choice based on this photo. Its not a big wraparound like the one we had on Vision OTS, but it still looks pretty good.

Sounds like you have already made a choice, but i thought you might be interested anyway. Not a frequent photo poster, but I think you can click on the link. If not Just copy this link and post in your browser.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb250/sclmkl/aftwcabins.jpg

Edited by DWhit