Captains Toast joke....

cle-guy

Does the captain still make the little joke about the Housekeepers being our favorite staff member because they put the chocolate on the pillow?

Asking because I think I've inferred that not all cabins get chocolates on pillows anymore, and I have noticed the chocolates in premium cabins seem to be a generic chocolate now (first noted on Reflection in November and on firmed again on Connie and Summit in Jan and March), no longer the foil wrapped, flavor varies nightly, X logoed chocolate square.... smaller now and paper wrap with a moon that says good night or sweet dreams or something like that.

I never ate the chocolates anyway, so don't miss them in the least - just a curious wondering.....

We received the X logod chocolates for all of the 28 nights on the Millie a month ago Still eating them lol We were in a regular veranda

I melted all the Ginger chocolates into whipped cream to make a mousse last weekend. It was delicious! Hi Christine.

We were also on the Millie for a month.

those good variety chocolates are gone, replaced by the generic ones....

the grapes and mixed fruit bowl is gone, replaced by three round fruit, whatever they have that fits in the new trays....

the pillow menu is a myth, although the pillows are available if you ask....

the water and ice have disappeared unless you know that you can ask for them....

We seem to get towel animals once per cruise (aqua)

the better quality concierge/aqua/suite carry bags only show up if you know enough to ask for them...otherwise you get cloth shopping bags.

Things change ....

those good variety chocolates are gone, replaced by the generic ones....

the grapes and mixed fruit bowl is gone, replaced by three round fruit, whatever they have that fits in the new trays....

the water and ice have disappeared unless you know that you can ask for them....

We seem to get towel animals once per cruise (aqua)

the better quality concierge/aqua/suite carry bags only show up if you know enough to ask for them...otherwise you get cloth shopping bags.

Things change ....

Huh? How can the pillow menu be a myth if pillows are available if you ask? :confused: :confused:

Edited by boogs

Huh? How can the pillow menu be a myth if pillows are available if you ask? :confused: :confused:

Have you personally ever actually seen a pillow menu ?? We've never found one in cc or aqua cabins. We just know, from asking, what's available.

Since we are listing changes (and not good ones)

It seemed my March 3rd Connie cruise was the last before a bunch of big changes.

The toiletries in Aqua class were Motel 6 quality and were a "fill in".

The steward said the next cruise were to get the new supplies.

Our cruise also had the last "Grand Buffet" and one of the last before the axe fell on most of the activity staff.

Also there was no lobster on our menu either in the MDR or in Blu. I'm not sure when that was changed,

Edited by richstowe

Have you personally ever actually seen a pillow menu ?? We've never found one in cc or aqua cabins. We just know, from asking, what's available.

Yep. It's easy to get the menu - ask your stateroom attendant and he will tell you what pillows are available.

I ask for feather pillows on every cruise, and my wife asks for a memory foam pillow. We get them every time. My wife wanted to try a body pillow on one cruise but it was too bulky so we asked our attendant to take it away.

Edited by boogs

These are 3 great exempts of things I say X is inconsistent i and 3 things that are easily fixed.

Print the pillow menu on a card and insert in the guest information binder.

Print on the mini bar notices that ice and water are available from your cabin steward on request. ( I seem to have started cruising with X after the water in cabin stopped, I have not seen that ever, but I have seen the ice bucket disappear)

And for god's sake, just deliver the bags that the website says you get. This is an example of where I think X fails in properly training staff, they should KNOW what bag and goodies go in each room type, some sort of quick reference card on the housekeeping cart or something. I got no bag on my recent Summit sailing, not that I need another....If they can't deliver the right bags when they should, then STOP delivering ANY bags, put them on sale in the gift shops, and leave a voucher for the appropriate free bag in the room or with elite coupons and let the guest get the bag if they want it. save money, not wasting bags as many will probably just not bother...possibly entice people to make an additional actual purchase in the gift shops while there. And offers the nicer bag for sale to those who get the less quality bags. And can still be quoted as a benefit just like free gelato....it's just with a coupon....

EASILY resolved, but doubt much will come of it.

I have seen a pillow menu once, think it was in my RS on eclipse on my TA last year, it was a page in the spa promotional booklet if I recall. But i'd expect it to be a little card laying on the night stand by the bed on arrival, maybe print one side about the pillows, and the other side print save the waves info about not changing sheets daily like hotels now (i.e. leave the card on the bed if you WANT sheets changed...).

The chocolates and fruit are obvious cost saving measures that are probably here to stay.

Since we are listing changes (and not good ones)

It seemed my March 3rd Connie cruise ...[sNIP] ... there was no lobster on our menu either in the MDR or in Blu. I'm not sure when that was changed,

I've read that Lobster is now only on 7 night or longer cruises...though it is available in Ocean Liners I believe on the standard menu, not just particular days. I had it on my 5 night connie sailing there, while I read in our roll call those in the MDR all cruise never had the option.

the pillow menu is a myth, although the pillows are available if you ask.....

Really? You're complaining because there isn't a printed pillow menu to look at, even though you know what to ask for and don't even need it? I must say - some people aren't satisfied unless they have something to complain about and aren't too proud to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find it.

Edited by sloopsailor

[

Things change ....

Can you please tell me what the nicer bags are like? We are sailing Celebrity for the first time next month in aqua and we do not know what to expect. Thank you.

Really? You're complaining because there isn't a printed pillow menu to look at, even though you know what to ask for and don't even need it? I must say - some people aren't satisfied unless they have something to complain about and aren't too proud to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find it.

I didn't find it a complaint at all, just a statement of fact. The point being that new cruisers have no clue it exists, even though it's advertised on the website no one can ever seem to find the darn thing (well, i got lucky once). By stating it as he did, new cruisers viewing this thread now know to ask if they can't find it. That serves the CC community well.

[

Things change ....

Can you please tell me what the nicer bags are like? We are sailing Celebrity for the first time next month in aqua and we do not know what to expect. Thank you.

Nicer bags have leather-like handles and corners, and inside a smaller pouch that buttons to the inside, like a small pencil pouch that can hold money and such nicely made of a thicker nylon/vinyl type material.

I think the standard ones are more like simply printed fabric totes like grocery stores now sell for reuse.

Nicer bags have leather-like handles and corners, and inside a smaller pouch that buttons to the inside, like a small pencil pouch that can hold money and such nicely made of a thicker nylon/vinyl type material.

I think the standard ones are more like simply printed fabric totes like grocery stores now sell for reuse.

Perfect, thanks. I appreciate the information on this and the pillow menu. I would not have thought to ask.

I melted all the Ginger chocolates into whipped cream to make a mousse last weekend. It was delicious! Hi Christine.

We were also on the Millie for a month.

Hi. Wasn't that a great trip! Haha I'm glad to meet another chocolate hoarder!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So if we have an aqua room and get the regular bag, we can just ask for the better bag?

So if we have an aqua room and get the regular bag, we can just ask for the better bag?

Yes. Except the new ones seem to have woven handles.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

flavoured chocolates were gone as well on the 03/22 eclipse cruise.

generic belgian chocolate every night.

saw pillow menu in the past, did not ask this time.

the "better" bag is actually even more functional now i think. the old ones used to have that fake leather handle that eventually tore off after a year or two of use. the new one has some quite strong, almost seatbelt type fabric handles. may no longer be as "longchamps"-style copy but more functional.

some people aren't satisfied unless they have something to complain about and aren't too proud to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find it.

Not to mention being "a reverse chair hog" to boot! ;) :p :rolleyes:

Hey! cle-guy... what does the "cle" stand for anyway? :confused:

Edited by teecee60

Everyone gets the cheaper bag and this is usually in your room on embarkation. Getting that one does NOT mean you are not getting the better one. The nicer bag varies in design and on our last cruise was a much nicer one with a woven handle. Personally, although the ones with the plastic handle were expensive [sold at Heathrow for £40/US$60 upwards], they were far too heavy. We have found that the better bag is more likely to arrive at the end of the cruise [as it was on our very first cruise in 2006] although sometimes it is in your room on embarkation and sometimes it arrives at some time in between.

Glad to hear that they have changed/are changing the chocolates. I really did not like the horrible flavours in the X-branded ones.

Edited by Project_gal