Trying new food on board

forceten

Our first cruise coming up and we are excited!

Never being on a cruise before we aren't sure how things work.

We would love to be adventurous a bit and try some food we normally wouldn't have (just like with the drink package we will be trying drinks we never had before).

Say we eat at blu or the mdr. If we order an appetizer or even entree and after a few bites we realize nope not for us and we made a mistake. Would we be able to order a different one?

And i guess the same goes for - what if we really really loved it. Would we be able to order that same item again right away if we wanted another?

Not sure how the dining works on the ships.

Just thought of another question. Sometimes we have just went out to a restaurant and ordered a bunch of appetizers and desert, but no main entree. If we wanted 3-4 appetizers, but not the main entree is that possible?

Edited by forceten

Say we eat at blu or the mdr. If we order an appetizer or even entree and after a few bites we realize nope not for us and we made a mistake. Would we be able to order a different one?

Yes, you can order another appetizer or entree if you are unhappy with your selection.

I've never opted to immediately order a second portion of items I like. Quite frankly, food just seems to come at you on ships, and you have to quickly learn to say "no thank you" unless you want to leave the ship heavier than when you boarded.

Hope you enjoy your first cruise.

Our first cruise coming up and we are excited!

Never being on a cruise before we aren't sure how things work.

We would love to be adventurous a bit and try some food we normally wouldn't have (just like with the drink package we will be trying drinks we never had before).

And i guess the same goes for - what if we really really loved it. Would we be able to order that same item again right away if we wanted another?

Not sure how the dining works on the ships.

Just thought of another question. Sometimes we have just went out to a restaurant and ordered a bunch of appetizers and desert, but no main entree. If we wanted 3-4 appetizers, but not the main entree is that possible?

All you have to do is ask, and your server will make it happen. It's Absolutely AMAZING! :)

I quite often order three or four apps, the shrimp, the fruit, the Caesar, (extra dressing and lots of pepper!) and the French onion soup with triple cheese is GLORIOUS. :D

Your server will be more than happy to provide a double portion of the INCREDIBLE rack of lamb, prime rib or lobster. (Even I can handle but a single lamb shank! They are HUGE.)

Make sure you splurge, if just once, and visit Tuscan Grill for dinner at sunset. Antipasto, Steak Tartare, shrimp and scallops, Cajun Ribeye, and chocolate fondue! :cool:

(Just make sure you hit the gym at least 3 times a day! :eek: :D ;))

You only get ONE "first cruise." Relax and ENJOY!

Edited by teecee60

Hi,:) welcome aboard. You mentioned eating in Blu or the Main Dining

Room.

In order to dine in Blu you must be in an Aqua Class cabin or in a suite.

(just wanted to give you a heads up on that).

Also, in specialty restaurants you might be charged for a second entree on top of the initial fee. ( apps, dessert etc are fine you can always order more of those, it's just the entree they will charge you for extra)

oh and don't be surprised if they bring you out something you didn't even ask for.

I always order something I know i will like, and then if something else intrigues me ... i will order that too, telling the waiter in advance that I want to try it. That way, it doesn't look too bad if i try and don't like and send it back.

If you only take a few bites of something, they will usually ask you why, and offer to bring you something else.

I do hope that if you order something, you'll finish it, rather than chuck it after one bite. The amount of food wasted on a ship is disgusting. Once I order, consider it eaten unless it is truly fatty, gristly, or poorly prepared

I do hope that if you order something, you'll finish it, rather than chuck it after one bite. The amount of food wasted on a ship is disgusting. Once I order, consider it eaten unless it is truly fatty, gristly, or poorly prepared

Oh I don't like to waste, thats why I said after a few bites. I give it my best try. But if something that I wanted to try really is just, not for me i won't force myself to eat it. but I give everything a fighting chance :D

We aren't big drinkers at all, but I know with the drink package it will be the perfect time to try many other types of drinks we never have. Our favorites are pina coladas. Who knows we might find we like a new favorite after the cruise is over. We hope we find some new favorite food also one of the days! Never had escargot, frog legs, don't think i have ever had lamb either! Duck only once in my life but it was fatty as can be, bad place made it I think. So lots of chances to try new stuff!

We picked aqua for our first cruise so yes blu for us to try new things.

Thanks the rest of you guys, we will be using the gym every morning and maybe a fitness class or two. Possible a run on the upper deck also! So we hope we can at least break even weight wise on the ship. Leave with what we came with lol :eek:

The portions especially appetizers in Blu are Small. A few bites maybe all there is. One thing I ordered I did not care for- it was a soup which was green. I wished I had gotten the quail so DH asked the waiter and they brought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think that is a bit harsh, just my opinion. If someone wants to

step outside of the box and try something brand new? If they taste

it and really don't like it, I don't think they should be forced to eat

it. How else are they going to know if they like something without

a taste?:confused:

Exactly my thoughts.

There are some very picky/wasteful people though. On one cruise, a lady ordered all of the desserts and tried each one (one bite), then said that the creme brulee was the nicest and left the table before people had finished their coffees.:(

Not good form at all. I would hope some moderation is also used in the sampling of food.:D

Totally agree and very well said;)

Very well said. On our last 2 cruises, we encouraged our kids to step out of their comfort zones and try something new. The rule was they had to take more than one bite (usually about 5) and if they truly didn't like it, they could send it back. Our oldest didn't really try anything new which surprised me since he's the one that has always had the more adventurous palate. Our youngest tried a cold berry soup (loved it so much I had to buy the cookbook so I could make it at home) and on our last cruise, he tried the lamb shank - again he LOVED it. While I try to get my boys to try new things when we aren't cruising, being on a cruise makes it so much less "painful" in the wallet. Now if I could just get them to try escargot.:rolleyes:

Why is it any less wasteful to eat unwanted food rather than throwing it away?

One the reasons I don't gain weight on a cruise is because if it doesn't taste amazing, I don't eat it.

Also, in specialty restaurants you might be charged for a second entree on top of the initial fee. ( apps, dessert etc are fine you can always order more of those, it's just the entree they will charge you for extra)

oh and don't be surprised if they bring you out something you didn't even ask for.

This has never happened to us when we ordered something extra. Where did you hear that this happens?

Gawd, I hate it when the food martyrs show up and try to guilt us into not enjoying our cruise! :rolleyes:

News alert. Cruise lines try to provide fresh food for us to eat. Fresh food has a shelf life. If it doesn't get eaten because people won't order something extra because of their "hate to waste" obsession, it will spoil and get thrown away. In the MDR, most food is prepared in advance. The food that doesn't get consumed will be thrown out. Same in the buffet. Imagine the outrage if they heated it up tomorrow and served you leftovers!

Bottom line, whether you order more or not, that extra food will end up being waste. It is better to at least try something rather than it be thrown out untouched.

Edited by boogs

You are in for a special treat on your first cruise. First, the ships are wonderful and just walking around to see what is available is exciting. Second, there are so many things going on, so decide on those things that interest you and enjoy. Third, you will be tempted to eat more than normal, but that is only natural. A few pounds won't hurt you. Finally, each port is filled with a variety of things to do; take care in planning to ensure your time will be well spent whether it be educational or just fun! The nights go by quickly and the cruise does too. You will love it and most likely book another onboard! Enjoy your first cruise!:):) New friends are just around the corner!!!

Edited by Lastdance

Gawd, I hate it when the food martyrs show up and try to guilt us into not enjoying our cruise! :rolleyes:

News alert. Cruise lines try to provide fresh food for us to eat. Fresh food has a shelf life. If it doesn't get eaten because people won't order something extra because of their "hate to waste" obsession, it will spoil and get thrown away. In the MDR, most food is prepared in advance. The food that doesn't get consumed will be thrown out. Same in the buffet. Imagine the outrage if they heated it up tomorrow and served you leftovers!

Bottom line, whether you order more or not, that extra food will end up being waste. It is better to at least try something rather than it be thrown out untouched.

AGREE !!!!! Very well said. :)

You are in for a special treat on your first cruise. First, the ships are wonderful and just walking around to see what is available is exciting. Second, there are so many things going on, so decide on those things that interest you and enjoy. Third, you will be tempted to eat more than normal, but that is only natural. A few pounds won't hurt you. Finally, each port is filled with a variety of things to do; take care in planning to ensure your time will be well spent whether it be educational or just fun! The nights go by quickly and the cruise does too. You will love it and most likely book another onboard! Enjoy your first cruise!:):) New friends are just around the corner!!!

The weight is gain is a sure sign that you have enjoyed a relaxing cruise with good food and drink to be had whenever you want. IMO, people who do not gain weight during a cruise are doing it wrong.:p

I totally agree. It would be extremely foolish to stuff yourself with food you dislike and I don't know why anyone would do that.

It would be different if you were starving and that was the only food available to you for survival, but that is hardly the case for anyone on a cruise ship. :D

Time after time when people who are grossly overweight are interviewed, it turns out that they were indoctrinated as children that they needed to eat everything on their plate.

<snip>Tossing a couple of oysters is one thing, tossing a main dish of standard chicken, beef, pork served in a different style than you're used to is quite another. Ask the waiter how it's prepared, and if you order it, finish it. Or don't order it to begin with.

I really have to disagree with you here, I don't think I've ever finished my entree in Blu, they're just too big for me, I have no guilt at putting down my fork when I've had enough food to sustain my body.

There are also plenty of nights where DH & I ordered a creme brule to share & each just had two bites, again, the idea that you need to "clean your plate" is not a very healthy one.