Host Andy's Update From Eclipse 4/5/14 Sailing

Andy

Hi Everyone,

We received some wonderful news tonight. The Doctors are virtually certain that My Sister's mass is benign. We will know for certain by Friday - but the doctors told her not to worry. Surgery will be required, but they've opted to wait a while, to see if it increases in size.

Thank you again for your many wonderful and supportive posts & emails. It's sincerely appreciated !

Good news! And now your mom can really relax and enjoy her cruise.

Andy, we really appreciate the valuable feedback your consistently provide. Glad you are enjoying your cruise with comforting peace of mind. You are such a positive person, so its reassuring for us to read your insight about bar service in the MDR. We disembarked Summit the same day you boarded Eclipse, and that was a disappointing aspect of our cruise experience too. The lack of dedicated bar staff resulted in no service on some evenings, and slow MDR wait service on most nights. We hope your feedback results in positive change. Thanks for all you do to inform people like ourselves, and X.

Hi Andy,

Have just read on another site that the Brunch has gone and been replaced by lunch...which included cotton candy.....ice sculptures..choc fountains... Can you please give us your view on it when you have it.?

Many thanks

Brendax

I just received this email from a friend on Connie:

Celebrity cut the activity staff on Connie on April 10.

Yesterday was a sea day and not one trivia......

The documentation officer has been assigned to do the trivia on the TA, but said the trivia’s are gone during the normal sailings.

Andy could you find out if this is the case on Eclipse as well?

Have you heard whether all glass shows will be removed from S-class ships that have/had them?

Have you heard whether all glass shows will be removed from S-class ships that have/had them?

Wow, I would not be a happy camper if the hot glass shows went away. First time I've heard that rumor. I have a TA booked next fall and plan to attend every show. I LOVE the lot glass shows!

Ditto! I love the Corning Hot glass shows. That's one of the things that I'm looking forward to, on our upcoming Eclipse Holiday cruise! And, they can't say they aren't well-attended, either. Just TRY getting a seat at the night-time shows (if you don't show up an hour early).

The Bar Servers have been removed from the MDR, and the Assistant Waiters are now filling soda and alcoholic beverage orders. From my vantage point, it's monopolizing their time, which in turn, is affecting the Waiters service. I do not see this issue as serious, but it is slowing down the meal service, and must be noted. I truly appreciated that I mentioned our concerns to our Waiter, who passed it along to our section Maitre 'd, which was followed up with a phone call and brief meeting with the Food & Beverage manager (Cemal), with his commitment for improvement. Kudos to Celebrity for being proactive. Nicely done !

I hope that Celebrity will re-evaluate the removal of the Bar Servers from the MDR, OR... consider having the Sommeliers (who do not seem overly busy) share the drink service with the Assistant Waiters. IMO, this should resolve resolve any potential service shortfall.

Andy,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your vacation to post to us.

Sorry but I do think it's a problem if assistant waiters are doing the job of bar servers. Also personally, we have always thought the Sommeliers were to busy (not enough of them) as it was, if they now have to fill drink orders we will never get our wine.

One of the MAIN reasons we have been sailing Celebrity for the past 12 years is for the service and food in the MDR. I am really getting worried about the future of cruising as we like the traditional main dining room experience.

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts and posting while you are away. Glad to see you are having a good time.

Anne Maria

Ditto! I love the Corning Hot glass shows. That's one of the things that I'm looking forward to, on our upcoming Eclipse Holiday cruise! And, they can't say they aren't well-attended, either. Just TRY getting a seat at the night-time shows (if you don't show up an hour early).

Hi Suzanne, hope you are both doing well.

Perhaps X is replacing it with the Lawn Club though I'm not sure just how big an income producer Specialty restaurants are.

Katie

So happy for you, mom and sister Andy! I'm sure you are enjoying your cruise so much more now that you don't have the worry of your sisters diagnosis.

Eclipse was one of my favorite cruises! Any more news on Cellarmasters being transformed into a pub?

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Hi Arno,

I asked about this from guests who enjoy trivia, and they've told me trivia is available on this sailing.

As for the Hot Glass show... rumors about it's demise are around, but nothing that I'd say is credible. We happen to enjoy the HGS very much, and hope they remain - but as they are non-revenue, and with Celebrity's focus on the bottom line... I am somewhat concerned about it's future.

Hi Andy, Did they have Sin City act on your cruise ? Had it on the Equinox but I missed it.

Hi Maggie,

No Sin City on this sailing. Maybe I will get to see it someday ! :)

Hi Andy,

Have just read on another site that the Brunch has gone and been replaced by lunch...which included cotton candy.....ice sculptures..choc fountains... Can you please give us your view on it when you have it.?

Many thanks

Brendax

Hi Brenda,

We have not seen anything like this as of yet, but we have 2 upcoming Sea days tomorrow and Friday. I will be sure to keep an eye out for it. Stay Tuned !

Andy,

Has the Elipse experienced the 50% reduction in activity staff yet? We have on Connie and trivia has been cut WAY back (one trivia between two sea days).

Tom

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

Andy, great news. I know all of you must be very relieved and feel like a big weight has been lifted. A big sigh of relief. I was just getting on to wish all of you best wishes for today and read your good news before I posted. Now enjoyment of the cruise can continue and hopefully you can get more relaxation from the stresses of your sister's health and your very busy work schedule.

Kathy

Apologies for going OT here, Andy, :o

But Kathy, I was going through all my old cruise papers, and I found your e-mail address -- sent you a message this morning. :)

Suzanne

Andy,

Has the Elipse experienced the 50% reduction in activity staff yet? We have on Connie and trivia has been cut WAY back (one trivia between two sea days).

Tom

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

Hi Tom,

The activities staff was 3, at the beginning of this sailing. 1 person left mid-cruise to go to another ship. We are now at 2 activity "hosts", and that's what is supposed to be the new normal.

As far as Trivia, it seems to be alive and well on Eclipse, but who knows what the future holds. I will share additional insights, when I return home. Stay Tuned !

Eclipse was one of my favorite cruises! Any more news on Cellarmasters being transformed into a pub?

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Hi Sandi,

From what I'm hearing onboard, it seems the Cellarmasters change is only happening to Equinox for now. It appears they are converting 1 ship, and seeing how the new concept is received. With that said, I'm uncertain if Celebrity has even confirmed the change to Equinox.

Hi Sandi,

From what I'm hearing onboard, it seems the Cellarmasters change is only happening to Equinox for now. It appears they are converting 1 ship, and seeing how the new concept is received. With that said, I'm uncertain if Celebrity has even confirmed the change to Equinox.

Hi Andy, when we were on the Equinox's 4/4 sailing, it was announced

That Cellarmaster's is indeed going bye-bye and will become a Pub during dry dock. I'm pretty sure it was announced at our Meet and Mingle by the CD Paul Baya on day two of our cruise.

Edited by 4cats4me

Hi Andy, when we were on the Equinox's 4/4 sailing, it was announced

That Cellarmaster's is indeed going bye-bye and will become a Pub during dry dock. I'm pretty sure it was announced at our Meet and Mingle by the CD Paul Baya on day two of our cruise.

Hi 4cats4me,

Thank You ! I wasn't doubting the information... just a bit surprised that Celebrity has not made an official press release - Or, perhaps they have ? As you are aware, I've been at Sea for the past 2 weeks, and I may have missed the announcement.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to see if the new pub concept generates interest on Equinox