Differenc between M & S class that are not added fees?

scubamommy!

So we are just off Constellation ( M class) and we have booked Reflection ( S class) and I have just stared reading about and researching Reflection. I see a lot of nice added bonus specialty food places that all come with added fees but what are some of the free added bonus. I mean, I know its a bigger/newer ship, but if all the added things cost more it doesn't really offer much more than the Constellation which I fell in love with.

Everyone keeps telling me if I liked that I will love this. I am not sure I am convinced. I mean, I know I will like it no matter what, but I am curious to see what you all have to tell me.

Can you tell me your favorite reason why you like the S class better, something that you get with the basic cruise ( in just regular class, not aqua or concierge or anything). Thanks in advance!

The Reflection will have plusher lounge chairs around the pool, the Hideaway but it is usually becomes a teen hangout, larger balconies, larger cabins, nicer and larger showers and doors, better looking lavatory, better balcony doors, newer TVs in the cabin, newer beds. The lawn area, but it is mostly taken up by the alcoves on the Reflection.

On the negative there is no thermal pool, and the storage area for clothing is less in the cabin. Personnally I don't like the faucet in the sink as it extends too far over the sink and makes it difficult to wash my face without getting water on the floor or anything in the area.

Both style of ships have their pluses and own identities.

🚢

Thank you miched, you seem to be the only one with an opinion on this so far? LOL

Are there more bars/lounges? classes? better entertainment? I know the molecular bar is there, is the martini bar still available on S class or is that what the molecular bar is suppose to replace? We REALLY enjoyed the martini bar on Connie!

Most of the pro's you list are on the room itself, of which we spent very little time in. hmmmm, trying to figure out if bigger really is better for me, personally???

So we are just off Constellation ( M class) and we have booked Reflection ( S class) and I have just stared reading about and researching Reflection. I see a lot of nice added bonus specialty food places that all come with added fees but what are some of the free added bonus. I mean, I know its a bigger/newer ship, but if all the added things cost more it doesn't really offer much more than the Constellation which I fell in love with.

Everyone keeps telling me if I liked that I will love this. I am not sure I am convinced. I mean, I know I will like it no matter what, but I am curious to see what you all have to tell me.

Can you tell me your favorite reason why you like the S class better, something that you get with the basic cruise ( in just regular class, not aqua or concierge or anything). Thanks in advance!

Lisa, what did you like so much better about the Connie that was included in the base fare over your sailings the other 4 ships you have sailed?

RCI Monarch Of The Seas

Carnival Fascination

RCI Sovereign of the Seas

Carnival Ecstasy

They all include the same things in the cruise fare, food, cabin, entertainment, pool, ect., so it had to be the quality of the product, the ship and the staff that impressed you with Celebrity since. The Reflection is now my wife's favorite ship. I don't think there is a single item that would make the WOW factor kick in. It is everything together.

Edited by wallie5446

Well said Wallie, SERVICE was definitely the thing that made us fall in love with Celebrity. I just see the fares are a bit higher for the bigger ships and I was just trying to figure out what made that so, more options I guess? I am happy with the "basic" package. I enjoyed the bars/lounges on Connie and I guess I just want to make sure they will be available at no extra charges on the The Reflection as well. The few things I have seen/read so far all come with additional charges.

And another answer to your question, we have never had a beverage package on any cruise so that certainly made the trip much better! :)

Don't think I will take a cruise ever again without one!

The Reflection is the Connie on steroids;)

It is like moving from the kids table to the grown up table at a family holiday party. Sail away at the Sunset is amazing, ok scratch that, why? Sail away on any ship is amazing!:D Yes all the same bars, ect will be there.

The majority of the people here on the X board prefer the S class.

We have now done 2 cruises on S class and we have done 5 cruises on M class.

We prefer the M class. One of our best cruises was on the Constellation, mainly because of the service and Sue Denning was the CD...everything was just in sync. We have also had 3 great cruises on Millenium.

I prefer the rooms on the M class...especially aft C 1's or FV cabins....both with extended balconies. I do not like the large open atrium in the S class ships where the noise travels upwards and impacts my enjoyment of cafe, bars in the evenings....JMHO.

I hope you enjoy your cruise on S class. I was excited to try that class of ship, but after my second cruise on an S class ship, I knew my first impression was correct that I like the M class better. Everyone you should try both and make their own decision as to which they like better. :)

Edited to add: The cabin bathrooms are nicer on S class

Edited by takemewithyou

I too like the M class better. My first cruises on S class left me feeling that they are beautiful, but have no warmth. M class feels like home to me upon boarding. And since the M class has had many of the better features of the S class added, it is an easy decision for me. M class will win every time. I believe, as the above poster stated, that I am in the minority however.

I don't know if it's fair to say that the majority prefer the S class ships.

I like them both. As far as bars and restaurants, there are more on the S class--the ships are bigger.

Things I like about the S class: the bathrooms. The lawn. The hot glass show (not available on the Reflection, sorry, only on the first 3 ships). Some bigger balconies. The buffet.

Things I like about the M class: the cabins--much better storage for your clothing and belongings. The MDR. The T pool. The aft bar behind the buffet area. The penthouse (if you're fortunate enough to sail with somebody who has it and has frequent parties). That's just an awesome balcony. Actually, I like sailing back in suiteland on the M class--it's quieter (there are far fewer cabins).

I agree with Anne, the M class feels more like home to me, but that's probably because I've cruised more on the M class. I'm happy on either class.

Grass. :rolleyes:

I like the Martini bar on S class with the frost on it, but the Martini's are not any better than on M class ships.

Even though you mention things that are of no cost, I would say, that there are more choices in general on S class which typically is better.

One thing I do miss is the Thalassotherapy pool on M class ships that is absent on S class ships.

Grass. :rolleyes:

I like the Martini bar on S class with the frost on it, but the Martini's are not any better than on M class ships.

Even though you mention things that are of no cost, I would say, that there are more choices in general on S class which typically is better.

One thing I do miss is the Thalassotherapy pool on M class ships that is absent on S class ships.

Me too. That pool is great. Jets on m class not as good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app - My next cruise - Equinox - B2B 6/2014

I like both classes of ship a lot. However, if all things are equal, I guess I prefer M-class. I tend to take longer cruises and just hate that big storage cave-like thing over the bed on S-class. I make it work but it's hard to reach and organize and, if it's open and the ship pitches, stuff falls out. I love the drawers in the M-class nightstands! Bathroom storage on S-class is definitely better but at the expense of cabin storage. Two of my all time favorite things on M-class are aft elevators and aft cabins, and not just the aft-facing cabins either. I think they're quieter while still being convenient. On S-class, if I have an aft-area cabin and forget my camera, I might let it go. I do like the Tuscan Grill location on S-class. A table by the window overlooking the wake at sunset is wonderful (big sigh, wish I were there now). It's been a few years since I've sailed an M-class but have 5 cruises booked on the Connie based solely on itineraries. Don't think I'll be disappointed. ;)

The Martini Bar on the S Class is quite a bit larger than those on the M Class. We really enjoy the aft Sunset Bar on the S class. S class also has the Molecular Bar which is different. LOL, guess I've got theme going here, eh?;)

The T pool on the M class is better than the Solarium pool on the S class.

We've done four cruises on the M class, all on the Constellation and have done 5 on the S class. We love them both but give the edge to the S class, our opinion only.

We are booked on the Constellation for next year and I'm wondering which pool is the T pool. I don't see it on the deck plans. Thanks

The "T" pool is the Thermo pool in the Solarium adult only area. It is not a pool that is "T" shaped. It is like a giant hot spa as it has jets and lounge type rails to relax on.

🌅

Thank you miched, you seem to be the only one with an opinion on this so far? LOL

Are there more bars/lounges? classes? better entertainment? I know the molecular bar is there, is the martini bar still available on S class or is that what the molecular bar is suppose to replace? We REALLY enjoyed the martini bar on Connie!

Most of the pro's you list are on the room itself, of which we spent very little time in. hmmmm, trying to figure out if bigger really is better for me, personally???

You asked for things that were free. The bars and lounges are there but to really take advantage you have to spend money on the drinks. If you don't have a drink they are basically a non issue. I don't think anyone sits at a bar just to sit at one without a drink.

The entertainment has nothing to do with the class of ship. It is more up to the CD, same as many activities. We sailed on the Eclipse in Nov and just got off from a March cruise, same cruise, same itinarary. The first had Ben as the CD and the second had Sue. All the entertainment and activies were superior with Sue as the CD. Sue makes everything more enjoyable.

If you are into food you can spend money on the Ultimate dining package that is $29/day pp that allows you to eat all of your meals in the specialty restuarants. You have to sign up the first day for the whole cruise.

.🚢

🚢

ohhh, Ultimate dinning package, that's a new one I haven't read about yet, really $29 per day sounds like a pretty good deal. If my DH and I ever go solo that is certainly something we would do. Both our last cruise and next one booked we are joining a large group with several different budgets, that is why I asked about the basics. We do all have the beverage package though so we can enjoy all the bars! :)

Thanks for the tip!

the Hideaway but it is usually becomes a teen hangout,

I truly hope not.

We have booked a Rome- Miami TA for Oct 2015.

My cabin will be quite close to the Hideaway; just thought it would be so convenient in the early morning for a drink.

ohhh, Ultimate dinning package, that's a new one I haven't read about yet, really $29 per day sounds like a pretty good deal. If my DH and I ever go solo that is certainly something we would do.

You really don't have to pay extra for food, the MDR is more than adequate and has plenty of choices.

Edited by upwarduk

I prefer the buffet on S class. To have the different stations makes it so much easier to get a bit of this and a bit of that. And S class has the Sunset Bar on the deck above the buffet with much much more comfortable chairs for lounging than the wooden upright chairs at the Sunset Bar on the M class.

I don't find the atrium to be noisily off putting at all. To sit in the library and watch the tree and the elevators is very calming.

I truly hope not.

My cabin will be quite close to the Hideaway; just thought it would be so convenient in the early morning for a drink.

The one sure thing is the total lack of kids on any TA when school is in session. Not to worry.

I truly hope not.

Our cabin on the Reflection was very close to the Hideway. Trust me, teens are not up early in the morning. You'll be able to get your early morning drink.

I prefer the buffet on S class. To have the different stations makes it so much easier to get a bit of this and a bit of that.

I totally agree with you. We've sailed on one M-class and one S-class, and while there were a number of things we liked better about the M-class, the buffet set up was NOT one of them. Totally old school, obsolete design that made it always feel very crowded. One friend likened the buffet to "a high school cafeteria without the trays."

Off the top of my head, some things we liked better on the M-class: the banquette-like seating in the theatre, very cozy and comfortable for two; the smaller size of the ship; three sets of elevators/stairs (rather than two); a drawer in the nightstand and a retractable clothesline in the bathroom. (Okay, we are down to the very small details here! :) )

Some things we liked better on the S-class: the overall "wow" factor (including the atrium); the solarium (sorry, I wasn't a big fan of the M-class T-pool); the buffet (as noted above). And, a huge plus (at least on the Eclipse, I can't speak to the other S-class ships), NO glass barrier around the bow on the upper deck. So incredibly wonderful to not have that between you and the water (or your camera and the water).