Which ships have balcony cabins for four adults?

SandG

My 23 year old daughter has cruised with us as a third passenger for many, many years, and now she wants to bring along her boyfriend. But they are both grad students (poor) and they'd like to pay just the third/fourth person supplement and stay with us when we take our next cruise. They and some friends did a Carnival cruise last month and had four in the room with twins, berth and sofabed, so they were hoping they could have the same sleeping arrangements (with a queen for us) if they join us.

We like sailing Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess, and we also like balconies. I would like to find out if any of the ships might offer a cabin layout that would include a queen and room for two other non-married adults (sofabed/berth or two berths). I know the alternative is getting a balcony and a nearby inside, but that means that either my husband and I split up or let them sleep together in the inside (awkward for us) and also that is more money than they can easily come up with.

I'm sure I'm not the first to have this dilemma and would like to hear what others have done.

Sue

We just booked last week the Equinox for the week before Christmas and got an A1 room for 4 people. The room has the queen, sofa bed along with a Pullman. Big bonus on this cruise is the 3rd and 4th were free. Call Celebrity and they will find you the best room as online only a half dozen are shown in any category. FYI we are taking our two kids 21 and 23 right when they finish there University exams.

My 23 year old daughter has cruised with us as a third passenger for many, many years, and now she wants to bring along her boyfriend. But they are both grad students (poor) and they'd like to pay just the third/fourth person supplement and stay with us when we take our next cruise. They and some friends did a Carnival cruise last month and had four in the room with twins, berth and sofabed, so they were hoping they could have the same sleeping arrangements (with a queen for us) if they join us.

We like sailing Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess, and we also like balconies. I would like to find out if any of the ships might offer a cabin layout that would include a queen and room for two other non-married adults (sofabed/berth or two berths). I know the alternative is getting a balcony and a nearby inside, but that means that either my husband and I split up or let them sleep together in the inside (awkward for us) and also that is more money than they can easily come up with.

I'm sure I'm not the first to have this dilemma and would like to hear what others have done.

Sue

The Family Veranda Stateroom will be a great option. Are you asking for a cruise not listed on your signature? I see that you are cruising in two weeks on the Solstice, but that cruise is almost sold out. This link might help you (hope it works)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1962503&highlight=family+veranda+stateroom

Sue

If you can, get a Royal Suite, The sofa in LR pulls out to a full bed. There's a 2 piece bath off the DR and a whirlpool tub on the large balcony. Loads do storage, walk in closet in master and closet in LR is enough space for 2. It's a great space, if you can afford the splurge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app - My next cruise - Equinox - B2B 6/2014

Are you asking for a cruise not listed on your signature? I see that you are cruising in two weeks on the Solstice, but that cruise is almost sold out.

The Solstice cruise is just me and my husband as my daughter will be starting her finals by then. I'm looking for a future cruise that I would like to book while on board the Solstice.

all lines have ships that have 4 man berthing options. you just need to plug in the dates and the ship you want to see if there are any open cabins currently.

I tried that, but sometimes the options are beds that are too small for young adults or a double-sized sofabed, or the upper berths that force you to separate the queen into twins or the room is otherwise uncomfortable. So I was looking to see if CC members have comfortably stayed in rooms similar to what I might be looking for.

Edited by SandG

I agree that if you want to put 4 people in one cabin, your best bet would be one of the FV cabins on an S-class ship.

That way you get a private master bedroom, a second very small bedroom with bunk beds for 2 people, and a nice sized living room.

One person could even sleep on the couch in the living room.

The greatest drawback is having only one bathroom.

Paul Tucker posted a youtube video of an S-class FV at

It is kind of shaky, but it gives you an overview of the whole thing.

Here are a few photos from another FV that someone took. I would credit the photographer, but sorry, I don't remember who it was.

DSCN8643-M.jpg

DSCN8632-M.jpgDSCN8647-M.jpg

Edited by fleckle

We just booked last week the Equinox for the week before Christmas and got an A1 room for 4 people. The room has the queen, sofa bed along with a Pullman. Big bonus on this cruise is the 3rd and 4th were free. Call Celebrity and they will find you the best room as online only a half dozen are shown in any category. FYI we are taking our two kids 21 and 23 right when they finish there University exams.

Hi...you booked an Aqua Class cabin for 4 people?:eek:...when did that

start happening? Aqua Class has always been 2 people Max.

Or did you mean to say you got a 1A balcony?

Hi....thanks:)......yes, the 1A's have larger balconies but I have to

agree with Linda and say 4 adults would still be pretty tight in a

regular cabin, even with a larger balcony.

I don't believe there's any way four adults are going to be comfortable in a balcony cabin. Regardless of the number of berths it has.

I really agree. I think you would have a better cruise taking two inside cabins than trying to fit four in any normal cabin on a Celebrity ship. Perhaps a suite might work or a family cabin, but there really is little extra space in most cabins even for two.

A popular alternative is to get a balcony cabin of some sort and an inside cabin across the hall. That way you can all be together on the balcony (but only two chairs) but sleep separately with two bathrooms (one of the most important factors to consider).

I think the only way four works is if you have a couple of kids under perhaps 10/11 and they stay in your room which makes sense. Once they are teens, both you and they are better off if they have their own cabin :)

I did four adults (2 adults and 2 adult children in their late 20s) in a regular veranda room on the Celebrity Infinity. It had a sofa bed and a bunked from the wall. Granted the 2 adult children were on the small size.

It worked out fine, but we are a very close family, don't know if you'd want more room with your daughter's boyfriend.

The one thing that was most limiting is sharing one bathroom.

As someone else has mentioned Celebrity does have family verandas, which would be better. They seem to book up quickly.

People here are very helpful and will try to let you know what they have learned from their experience. In the end, only you can know what will work for your family, or at least, you can give it your best shot and see what works best for you. :)

One tip that is given repeatedly is to have the guys use the showers in the spa/fitness area on the upper decks, and leave the bathroom/dressing areas in the cabin for the ladies. Four people in a cabin would take a lot of organization and a lot of good will. You will probably know from the personalities involved if your family is up to the challenge. ;)

Prices have gone up a lot for 3 and 4th passengers lately, and you might find it close to the same price for a veranda and an inside room, as others have suggested. (You can't overestimate the value of two bathrooms with four adults.) I understand the point you made about awkwardness, but I guess it will just come down to weighing the pros and cons for your family.

Here is a photo posted by a family that cruised on the Eclipse with a 7-year old and a 9-year old, in a cabin with the sofabed-pullman configuration.

i-mvTrtfP-L.jpg

Below is a photo of a sofa-bed-with-the-trundle-pullout.

i-kDjZ7hC-L.jpg

And apparently, there are some cabins that will sleep 5!!! I read of one family of 5 adults that made this work for themselves once, and they still came out speaking to each other! I can't vouch that this was true, though. :D

i-9qCsLH7-L.jpg

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful family vacation!

Edited by elena7seas

Hi,

Another option would be to downgrade to 2 interconnecting Oceanview staterooms/ 2 interconnecting inside staterooms. I realize that not getting a balcony is a bummer, but 2 inside staterooms are usually the price of 1 balcony/veranda on Celebrity/ Royal Caribbean.

Pros:

- You have 2 bathrooms instead of 1.

- You and your husband don't need to split up, just have the interconnecting door open.

- There's more than enough space for everyone (remember 4 bags, more clothes in just 1 room/ cupboard is difficult)

- You have your kids with you on the cruise

Cons:

- You don't have your balcony, but hopefully the company of your kids will make up for it.

SandG

Check out post 9 here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1962177

The first picture is of a 1A balcony cabin on Eclipse ( S class) but the others are of a FV on Infinity( M class) picture 3 shows the 2 single couches which become beds, I believe one has a trundle bed as well.

Downside is the 1 bathroom.

Edited by upwarduk

I tried that, but sometimes the options are beds that are too small for young adults or a double-sized sofabed, or the upper berths that force you to separate the queen into twins or the room is otherwise uncomfortable. So I was looking to see if CC members have comfortably stayed in rooms similar to what I might be looking for.

no such animal for adults. if you want comfortable you need to spring for the family or 2 bedroom suites or suck it up and get 2 cabins.

I know that at least on Royal the family cabins have a minimum of 5 to book and can only be done by calling directly until at or close to final payment before they are released for smaller parties.

the FV cabins on the M class ships are wonderful. We had a C1 booked for for myself, DH and DD(adult). FV are not available for less than 4 passengers. If they don't sell they are opened to anyone. We jumped at the chance to get a FV. The corner cabins have a huge baloncy. It was cheaper than our C1 cabin. We were in 8181 on the Millie.

Pam

Thank you for all your replies. I especially appreciate the photos of the cabin configurations. Family Verandas - they sound great but hard to get.

Interconnecting cabins is a great solution but I really want a balcony :p so a balcony and inside is the other choice. Sometimes the inside price isn't much more than the supplement - sometimes the supplement is dirt cheap (or free for the Alberta cruiser). But as I'd mentioned, it would be "awkward" for my daughter and boyfriend to share a cabin - for them too - it was my daughter's idea for all of us to share the cabin. They wouldn't think of sharing a bedroom in our house.

I wonder if we could book two of us into a balcony that has a berth or sofabed and the other two get the a convenient inside and then we could have my daughter sleep with us and then the boyfriend can have the inside if we can get away with it. Of course we'd have to work this out with our steward, who would have to be change the extra bedding.

I agree that there is no way for 4 adults to live comfortably in a veranda cabin, one bathroom, for any length of time. And one of them is the daughter's boyfriend? Talk about awkward! You're sleeping only a few feet away from each other. No room for personal effects, storage of clothing, etc. My husband and I have been married for 37 years and would never even consider doing this with our adult children. Way too much togetherness, IMO.

If you book on hoard, you can get the 3 and 4th person free option!!! It is a great deal. Perhaps you could upgrade to a larger suite with the "kids" paying a small portion of it. Just another idea to stir the pot:p