Adventure vs. Jewel of the Seas

I'm currently booked on the Feb 1, 2015 Adventure of the Seas cruise out of Puerto Rico. I got, what I feel, is a good deal for being a solo traveler. I want to book the Feb 8th cruise also to make it a b2b but that cruise is a little bit more than I want to swing.

I just noticed that the Jewel also leaves from Puerto Rico and does the same ports on both legs and is slightly cheaper. On both legs, I can save about $400 going with the Jewel as opposed to the Adventure.

I've checked the deck plans, and I think the only noticeable difference is the skating rink.

As for RC, I've only traveled on the Majesty so any bells and whistles will be new to me. So far in all my cruise travels, I'm a port, price, and date selector...meaning, I've never picked a ship based on amenities, newness, size, etc. But with that said, if I'm going to be on a ship for 14 days, I want to have the greatest experience possible.

So, with all of this, can someone offer any advice on if I should stay with Adventure or move to the Jewel? Does Adventure offer $400 more of an experience than the Jewel? I notice they are in two different classes, but what does that mean?

Thanks for the help.

Hi, this is such a personal decision... I feel you can't go wrong with either, and I know you will get a lot of differing opinions here, but this is mine.

Since either ship would be fabulous for you, I would prefer Jewel. She is an absolutely beautiful ship with lots of glass and windows everywhere. There is no Royal Promenade down the middle of the ship and I must say that on longer cruises, we do miss this feature but overall, it's not enough to sway the decision toward Voyager-class. Jewel and the other Radiance sisters have something no other ships in the fleet have, and that is the outdoor aft Windjammer seating. I tell you, it is incredible to take dinner out there (or at least dessert and coffee), watching the sunset from a different port each night, and especially on warm itineraries this is absolutely magical. :) If I could sail Radiance-class for the rest of my life, I would love that but hubby would get a little restless. ;)

Jewel is the last ship in the fleet to have the Sea View Café upstairs, which is a complimentary venue serving burgers, sandwiches, onion rings, fries, etc. It's just a nice place to grab a bite, IMO.

Yes, the skating shows on the bigger ships are wonderful, I cannot deny that.

We spent 18 days on Jewel a few years ago and didn't regret one moment. We absolutely loved her. We have also sailed on Voyager class several times and love them as well.

Have a great time, regardless. :)

I have been on both the Adventure and the Jewel. Totally different class ships. The Jewel has an atrium and lots of glass you can see the ocean from all over the ship. The Adventure has the promenade. Love them both. Instead of a back to back, how about doing a side by side. Take the Jewel the first week get off stay in a hotel one night and then take the Adventure. You will get to have the best of both worlds.

If you enjoy tanning in the Solarium, choose Adventure. On Jewel, the solarium roof is seldom, if ever, open....meaning no sunning in there! Adventure has an open Solarium, so you can sun in peace!

If you don't care about the sun, but enjoy eating outdoors (WJ), then choose Jewel...Radiance class has lovely outdoor WJ seating!

Other than that, either ship will give you a good time!

I have been on both the Adventure and the Jewel. Totally different class ships. The Jewel has an atrium and lots of glass you can see the ocean from all over the ship. The Adventure has the promenade. Love them both. Instead of a back to back, how about doing a side by side. Take the Jewel the first week get off stay in a hotel one night and then take the Adventure. You will get to have the best of both worlds.

Now that's an idea. I'll check into that also.:)

I like the idea of doing both. Obviously after only a couple replies you can see people have different priorities (solarium tanning, outdoor dining, etc....):)

If I was doing only one it would be Adventure. More room to roam (promenade, etc) which might be nice if you're there 14 days. And the ice show's are nice.

As previously noted, you can't go wrong. And you'll be visiting GREAT ports!

Edited by bouhunter

The idea of doing both has me very intrigued. I read on this board that if you book two separate ships a day apart RC will pay for your hotel?

Is that something someone is familiar with? Do I just ask for that benefit when booking?

The idea of doing both has me very intrigued. I read on this board that if you book two separate ships a day apart RC will pay for your hotel?

Is that something someone is familiar with? Do I just ask for that benefit when booking?

I believe Royal discontinued that perk a while back.

Bob is right, RCI doesn't do this anymore, sorry.

Yes, a side to side would be fun, definitely something to consider. However, a true B2B on the same ship in the same cabin is absolutely phenomenal. Why don't you price out each week on a S2S and a hotel room in between, and report back to us here? I'd be interested in knowing the price. :)

Bob is right, RCI doesn't do this anymore, sorry.

Yes, a side to side would be fun, definitely something to consider. However, a true B2B on the same ship in the same cabin is absolutely phenomenal. Why don't you price out each week on a S2S and a hotel room in between, and report back to us here? I'd be interested in knowing the price. :)

I'll do that a bit later but right now, doing a b2b on Jewel instead of Adventure would be $432 less. I figure a s2s would knock off approx $200 of that savings and a hotel and meals would eat the rest of the savings...lol. And that's if I'm able to get a hotel room for 1 night. I've read that many hotels in PR require a two night stay.

I'll price it out and see. A day in between will give me a chance to explore San Juan although I could also do that on changeover day on a B2B.

decisions, decisions.

I'll do that a bit later but right now, doing a b2b on Jewel instead of Adventure would be $432 less. I figure a s2s would knock off approx $200 of that savings and a hotel and meals would eat the rest of the savings...lol. And that's if I'm able to get a hotel room for 1 night. I've read that many hotels in PR require a two night stay.

I'll price it out and see. A day in between will give me a chance to explore San Juan although I could also do that on changeover day on a B2B.

decisions, decisions.

I'd check out the San Juan board for info about hotels:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

I've read there that if you use Priceline you can get some pretty good deals on a nice hotel.

If you enjoy tanning in the Solarium, choose Adventure. On Jewel, the solarium roof is seldom, if ever, open....meaning no sunning in there! Adventure has an open Solarium, so you can sun in peace!!

Is the roof always open or do they close it depending on the weather?

I am looking into the Nov TA and it is important for me that the pool be covered as it can be quite cold until you cross about half of the Atlantic.

The covered solarium pool on the Serenade was my favorite place on last years Nov TA

Edited by badatz

Is the roof always open or do they close it depending on the weather?

I am looking into the Nov TA and it is important for me that the pool be covered as it can be quite cold until you cross about half of the Atlantic.

The covered solarium pool on the Serenade was my favorite place on last years Nov TA

I believe the roof is usually closed on Radiance class ships. There is no roof on the Voyager/Freedom class ships.

I believe the roof is usually closed on Radiance class ships. There is no roof on the Voyager/Freedom class ships.

If this is correct it can change my whole plan. One of the reasons I did not look at NCL is that there are no covered pools and there were on Radiance class.

Can anyone confirm the "no roof" on the Adventure

Edited by badatz

If this is correct it can change my whole plan. One of the reasons I did not look at NCL is that there are no covered pools and there were on Radiance class.

Can anyone confirm the "no roof" on the Adventure

hi, I have sailed on Adventure on a TA from San Juan, there is no roof on the solarium although there are parts that are undercover (but not heated), we found that it was fine for us as there was really nice weather until almost the end of the cruise, I think it was only the last two days it got colder. Also, we recently did a b2b on Jewel around the southern Caribbean, This was a fantastic ship for it as it is so port intensive, there was lots to see and do, was great eating in the open air part of the Windjammer and nice not to have to switch cabins, to the OP, be aware that if you do a side by side cruise check the itinerary, I looked at this before booking and I am fairly sure that if you do go on both ships they do alternate itineries so you might be doing the same ports both weeks.

I figure a s2s would knock off approx $200 of that savings and a hotel and meals would eat the rest of the savings...lol... A day in between will give me a chance to explore San Juan although I could also do that on changeover day on a B2B.

Agree with everything you've said. And San Juan is wonderful and you absolutely can explore it on turnaround day on a B2B. You will be given an "In Transit" pass to leave the ship and can use it when you return to the ship to bypass the line.

Sounds fun! :)

hi, I have sailed on Adventure on a TA from San Juan, there is no roof on the solarium although there are parts that are undercover (but not heated), we found that it was fine for us as there was really nice weather until almost the end of the cruise, I think it was only the last two days it got colder. Also, we recently did a b2b on Jewel around the southern Caribbean, This was a fantastic ship for it as it is so port intensive, there was lots to see and do, was great eating in the open air part of the Windjammer and nice not to have to switch cabins, to the OP, be aware that if you do a side by side cruise check the itinerary, I looked at this before booking and I am fairly sure that if you do go on both ships they do alternate itineries so you might be doing the same ports both weeks.

Thanks for reminding me. I was supposed to check that last night and forgot. Definitely want to do alternating ports. All 9 (I believe) will be new to me! So exciting!

I would take the beautiful Jewel and save $400.

I think I'm leaning toward that option. The posters who have described many windows and outdoor eating area is a big plus! I took a cruise on The Carnival Imagination (I think) and there was an out area outside of the buffet area. I loved having my meals out there and haven't seen that set up on a ship since.

I don't tan and generally don't hang out at the pool so that's neither a positive or a negative.

Sorry, one more question...

Do ships with an ice rink always have ice shows as part of their nightly entertainment? Well, not every night but some? I thought the ice rink was just for the passengers but someone said something that made me think there are shows?

I'd guess the Jewel would still have good shows even if they are aren't ice shows, right?

Sorry, one more question...

Do ships with an ice rink always have ice shows as part of their nightly entertainment? Well, not every night but some? I thought the ice rink was just for the passengers but someone said something that made me think there are shows?

I'd guess the Jewel would still have good shows even if they are aren't ice shows, right?

Yes all ships will have shows including Jewel. We haven't been on Adventure for a couple years (or longer for the others with ice rinks), but as I recall you they basically had the ice skating shows one night twice (so everyone had a chance to see them depending on dining time). There were open skating times for guests several different days.

Edited by bouhunter

Jewel is the last ship in the fleet to have the Sea View Café upstairs, which is a complimentary venue serving burgers, sandwiches, onion rings, fries, etc. It's just a nice place to grab a bite, IMO.

Does the Jewel still have the Seaview Café? Has the ship not gone through refurb yet?