Back to back - is 29 days on board too long?

Aussie_Kiwi_Family

Hi everyone

We are cruising to Sydney to Hawaii in April 2015, and we are contemplating doing the next cruise. It will go from honolulu to Vancouver.

We have never been to Hawaii, or to Vancouver.

We will be travelling as a family, mum, dad and son 8 and daughter 7. On the first leg we will also have my mum and aunt with us.

Price wise we think it might work out an economical and easy way to see hawaii, plus we have always dreamed of going to Canada.

Is it too long on the one boat? What else should we consider?

If I could sail for 29 days in a row I would be on it:D....work and money

are prohibiting me from doing it though.:rolleyes:

Heck, if you and your family are able to vacation for a full month?

I am guessing you are sailing in the summer since your kids will going

too.......Go for it:)

Too long? Not to me!:)

Hi everyone

We are cruising to Sydney to Hawaii in April 2015, and we are contemplating doing the next cruise. It will go from honolulu to Vancouver.

We will be travelling as a family, mum, dad and son 8 and daughter 7. On the first leg we will also have my mum and aunt with us.

Price wise we think it might work out an economical and easy way to see hawaii, plus we have always dreamed of going to Canada.

We just did 28 days on the Infinity. It went faster then we thought and we got to get to know staff and our fellow cruisers much better than ever before. Participate in your roll call. We will be on the Solstice for the same cruises and there is an active roll call . Ther are many on the Rollcall who are doing the same and some have children with them.

Hi everyone

The longest I have been on a ship is 49 days (Ft. Lauderdale around South America to San Francisco.) It went by quickly and I loved it.

I would go for it!! We did Hawaii for the first time last winter and you'll love Vancouver! Will you have any time to explore Western Canada?

Edited by 2ndsailing
addition

The longest I have done was 92 days. That was my very first cruise and was all over the Med and then a repositioning that took me all the way through the first week of an Alaskan cruise. It was wonderful and absolutely hooked me on cruising. I was 25 then and cruised solo. I wasn't bored for a minute!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

There's not a wrong or right answer to this. We cruise a lot, many more days per year than 29. Personally I couldn't do 29 straight days. We sailed 51 days between mid November and mid March, but our longest ones were 12 days.

It sounds like more would be happy with 29 days, just not our thing. Obviously we love to cruise and have another 30 days planned before year's end, the longest 14 days.

Hi everyone

For us, as for many others here on Cruise Critic, the answer would be no, it is not too long because we are people who love cruising.

But I know a number of people for whom 29 days on a cruise ship would definitely be much too long, and others for whom 14 days would be too long, and I am thinking of one family member in particular for whom even 7 days was too long.

Not knowing your family, my guess would be that if they have cruised for 14 days or more at a time in the past and enjoyed it, they would probably be fine with 29 days.

But this is the type of question to which it is just about impossible to give a correct answer for someone else, especially not for people we don't even know.

Edited by fleckle

Hi we go to Canada every 2nd year to Ski Vancouver is a great city and if you want you can go to places like Victoria as a d ay trip

Just be aware that the easy flight option home is Vancouver to Sydney direct with AC which can be pretty heavily booked Dec to Feb as ski tragics like our family tend to load it over school holidays

Hi everyone

It would not be too long for us. We have done 37 days. We are at present in Kauai, staying 2 weeks and will sail home (from Honolulu) on Solstice as she repositions hereself from Australia for the Alaska season. I'm sure you will totally enjoy the trip from Sydney to Vancouver.

No one here can tell you what's best for you and the family. Heck, even you won't know until you go. My advice would be to stick with your original plan and return from Hawaii. If you and the family liked it, there's always next year to do the longer version of the crossing.:cool:

I am not sure if we will have much time to spend in Canada - maybe only a few days ... We are just thrilled to make it to one of our dream destinations! Any suggestions on where to spend our time would be appreciated. We love being able to get this help!

It's seems a shame to go all that way just to say you've been there. Personally I would have Canada as a whole separate holiday

I am in the camp that 28 days is far too long !! Have you done many cruises do you enjoy sea days ?

Even 30 days will zip by before we know it. We like the long cruises and find we only just get our ship bearings after 14. We too are considering what you're doing with the added Vancouver leg "seeing as we're there" What is there not to like :D

Each to his own - enjoy whatever you decide

We did this trip as a repo cruise a few years ago on Princess. It is still our longest single trip to date. You get plenty of time to relax (especially the second half). Sydney - NZ - islands is fairly port intensive (at least a port every other day), but after Tahiti its a 4 day trip to Hawaii. This was broken up by the 'crossing the equator' ceremony and we also got an extra day by crossing the international date line (so we had 2 29th April's!). What caught a lot of us out was arrival in Hawaii. As this is the first entry into the US, we had to do immigration on the ship. US and Canadian pax went to the back of the ship and were 'processed' in no time. The rest of us went to the front...and 3 hours later got 'processed' (2 officers for 1500 odd people!). Lots of people were not happy and missed tours. We had pre rented a car (so were late for that) and just had time to whiz round the island. Missed going to the Arizona memorial at Pearl Harbour (though we saw it in the distance). Just be aware when making plans.

It was then 4 days to LA (might be 5 to Vancouver...or maybe not).

Spent 3 days in Vancouver after our Alaska cruise. Great place...could emigrate there no problem. Public transport is good, cheap and integrated. Take a trip up Grosse mountain and go and see the Capilano Suspension bridge and park.

Have Fun

Simon

I am in the camp that 28 days is far too long !! Have you done many cruises do you enjoy sea days ?

My wife and I have taken a few month day cruises and we have certainly enjoyed the sea days. We have also taken some longer - 46 day and 64 day cruises. Love 'em.:)