What would make Oceania (even) better?

numbersix

We are just back from our first Oceania cruise, 14 nights on the Marina in French Polynesia. Except for a couple of small things, we were quite impressed...actually, we loved it.

It seems like there are more than a few experienced Oceania cruisers here, but, experienced or not, does anyone have ideas on how Oceania can make things even better?

I'll start:

• Waves Grill and Ice Cream bar could be open longer hours...maybe until 6 pm? A few times we would return from shore late afternoon and could have used a bite...you know, just to get us through to dinner(!) But, a sandwich or salad and a scoop of ice cream would have been welcome. I know room service is available, but we prefer to unwind around the pool at that time of day.
  • I thought it might be nice to have a few cookies out in the Terrace Grill, perhaps, for a little bedtime snack...we have often enjoyed a cookie and milk or coffee/tea on our verandah before turning in.

I must say, kudos to the waiter who, setting up for breakfast late one night in the Terrace Grill, noticed me at the coffee machine, and ran over to set it up just so I could have that last cappucchino!

What other idea might people have?:)

Edited by numbersix
Trying to bold the headline(?)

Just a suggestion - the concierge lounge ALWAYS has the coffee/cappuccino machine - and snacks - and tea service. I think there are executive lounges on the levels above concierge with similar arrangements (or better) - so if this is really important to you, I suggest you book concierge or above.

We spend so much time on board trying NOT to eat (health reasons) that this

looks different to us. I am jealous you can enjoy all the goodies !!!

Edited by Toranut97

If you have a butler you can get wonderful cookies from him for your room.

If you do not, stop in at tea time and get a plate full.

As for improvements, just one, No more smoking indoors. I've given up on no smoking period......

After our one whole O cruise (but looking forward to our second), agree with the OP. To which I'd add:

-- Longer hours for Baristas (Plus, some re-training on Irish coffee. Hint: the cream doesn't go in first, and the coffee doesn't go in last!)

I'd be hard-pressed to add anything else. We really loved, loved our time on Riviera.

After our one whole O cruise (but looking forward to our second), agree with the OP. To which I'd add:

-- Longer hours for Baristas (Plus, some re-training on Irish coffee. Hint: the cream doesn't go in first, and the coffee doesn't go in last!)

I'd be hard-pressed to add anything else. We really loved, loved our time on Riviera.

Yes--good one--longer hours for Baristas...and how about a more expanded offering, too. I put myself through school working at an (authentic) Irish pub, and I join you in cringing at the thought of the cream going in first...and I'm sure it wasn't gently whipped 35% either...no peaks, please! A couple of years ago, our first time in SF...they sure do make it right at the Buena Vista...I hadn't seen it made that way (the right way) in years!:D

1. Bring back the frozen blended coffee drinks - not the coffee flavored whipped cream in the illy machine at the Barista.

2. Enclose the smoking section in Horizons totally - smoke wafts out, especially in the smaller

ships.

3. As mentioned above, have Waves open until 6pm. There were always crowds there, trying to get lunch just before it closed at 4pm on port days.

I would love to see a pizza station where they make personal size pizzas to order - like they had on one of the Princess ships. It only took a few minutes to make.

I, for example, dislike tomato sauce and would like to have my pizza made to order - garlic sauce (if available), LOTS of pepperoni, ham/bacon, mushrooms, anchovies and tons of mozzarella. I would much prefer that to having little choice (usually two choices) that O offers now (all with tomato sauce :()

Of course, others could have their pizza made to their own preferences from a "salad bar" of available ingredients.

Offer a hot breakfast option for room service for ALL cabins - not just the PH+. We travel a ton and have to use our money wisely, and find the standard B1-4 cabins just fine, except for the lack of aforementioned.

It seems like there are more than a few experienced Oceania cruisers here, but, experienced or not, does anyone have ideas on how Oceania can make things even better?

Midnight departures from ports which have a reputation for wonderful cuisine (e.g. Honfleur, Shanghai, Barcelona) so cruisers can eat dinner at an onshore restaurant.

Midnight departures from ports which have a reputation for wonderful cuisine (e.g. Honfleur, Shanghai, Barcelona) so cruisers can eat dinner at an onshore restaurant.

Then they would be Azamara.

I agree. I would like to see longer stays in ports and more overnights. it is one of the plusses I give to Azamara when I compare the two lines. Not only do you have a chance to dine in port, you also have a chance to do longer excursions or not have to rush back to the ship at 5 pm

Then they would be Azamara.

I agree. I would like to see longer stays in ports and more overnights. it is one of the plusses I give to Azamara when I compare the two lines. Not only do you have a chance to dine in port, you also have a chance to do longer excursions or not have to rush back to the ship at 5 pm

I too agree!

Yes--good one--longer hours for Baristas...and how about a more expanded offering, too. I put myself through school working at an (authentic) Irish pub, and I join you in cringing at the thought of the cream going in first...and I'm sure it wasn't gently whipped 35% either...no peaks, please! A couple of years ago, our first time in SF...they sure do make it right at the Buena Vista...I hadn't seen it made that way (the right way) in years!:D

You got it right at the Buena Vista because that's where it has always been the signature drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too agree!

Same here. If Azamara had an O-Class style ship I'd probably sail them again simply because of the overnights and late night departure. We don't really care for the R Class ships (too small for us)....

I would love to see a pizza station where they make personal size pizzas to order - like they had on one of the Princess ships. It only took a few minutes to make.

I, for example, dislike tomato sauce and would like to have my pizza made to order - garlic sauce (if available), LOTS of pepperoni, ham/bacon, mushrooms, anchovies and tons of mozzarella. I would much prefer that to having little choice (usually two choices) that O offers now (all with tomato sauce :()

Of course, others could have their pizza made to their own preferences from a "salad bar" of available ingredients.

I'm from SF too (but born in Brooklyn) and, with all do respect, traditional Neapolitan or Sicilian pizza is either red sauce made with San Marzano tomatoes or white sauce made with fresh clams. Beyond whole milk mozzarella, a sprinkling of parmigiana, a few snipped basil leaves and EVOO, one meat topping (preferably Molinari hot Sicilian sausage in CA [or the east coast equivalent]) is acceptable. But, please, don't refer to California Kitchen type bread "pies" with all sorts of ingredients piled on them (or do it yourself ingredients) as pizza.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are just back from our first Oceania cruise, 14 nights on the Marina in French Polynesia. Except for a couple of small things, we were quite impressed...actually, we loved it.

I'll start:

• Waves Grill and Ice Cream bar could be open longer hours...maybe until 6 pm? A few times we would return from shore late afternoon and could have used a bite...you know, just to get us through to dinner(!) But, a sandwich or salad and a scoop of ice cream would have been welcome. I know room service is available, but we prefer to unwind around the pool at that time of day.
  • I thought it might be nice to have a few cookies out in the Terrace Grill, perhaps, for a little bedtime snack...we have often enjoyed a cookie and milk or coffee/tea on our verandah before turning in.

I must say, kudos to the waiter who, setting up for breakfast late one night in the Terrace Grill, noticed me at the coffee machine, and ran over to set it up just so I could have that last cappucchino!

Port excursion offerings that include a top-end of high quality and creative tours (at a reasonable premium tour price), together with more standard offerings that are fairly priced. Look to Crystal and, to a degree, Silversea for examples of inspired excursions and to Princess, Celebrity etc. for fair pricing levels on more typical type tours.

We mostly love the onboard experience on Oceania (agree on all previous comments re: Waves and Baristas), but the decision to sail Oceania is a decision to put a lot of time and effort into independent touring. IMHO, Oceania shore excursions are grossly over-priced and uninspired. For these reasons there are itineraries and geographies where we cross Oceania off our list of possibilities.

I also want to note that we were very impressed with the Jean Ryan shows on our recent Regent cruise. We understand that Oceania has contracted with them and look forward to upgraded entertainment aboard Oceania. Unfortunately, I don't believe the the stage capabilities and theatre layout on Oceania were planned with premier entertainment in mind (. . . port intensive cruise, focus on food. . . etc. etc. seem to have made entertainment an after-thought in the design prioritization). Can physical theatrical limitations be remedied without massive changes in dry dock - don't know, but I would like to see it done.

I really don't see why they can't have it in the back of the Terraces as they are not open until 6 and other people hang out there. That theatre doesn't cut it.

Also, perish me for naming Crystal, but their coffee bar has a "cold station" and they have little sandwiches and some lox, and in the morning pasteries. We don't all like to make a big deal and call room service, but my DH who is 6' 6" likes to graze...nothing much. It seems to me that O could find a place for that. We always are in OS (no, I am not uppity--another word was used), but we don't want our butler working hard and bringing us "stuff". We like to go out and meet people somewhere and have a talk and maybe a glass of wine. And yes, TC, why does Trivia and the tea have to be at the same time? It seems like they need someone to organize recreation. I would work for nothing to do that! I love being a rolling stone.

O could learn a lesson from how the specialty coffee locations are handled on Celebrity and Azamara.

Of course on Celebrity the coffee is not included (unless you buy one of the drink packages) but there is a wide array of delectable tea sandwiches and pastries that are available to all at no cost throughout the day -- enough for breakfast or lunch).

On Azamara the Mosaic Cafe (which is the entire deck 5 area in front of the shops on their R ships) is a fabulous and comfortable place to get coffees and small bites (included). I find Baristas on the O ships very uncomfortable (yes, I know, supposed to be like a coffee bar in Italy where everyone stands up and has coffee). I want to sit in a comfy chair and linger with my latte. I hope that the R ship version of Baristas will be a more comfortable place to linger.

1. Longer stays in port that would allow for evenings on shore and permit ample time for excursions at sites not near the port (i.e. Alhambra)

2. Longer hours at Waves. The place is a mob scene with everyone rushing to get something to eat before closing at 4 pm upon return from excursions. Not everyone wants to go to tea or call room service. As mention by another poster, it's nice to just hang around the pool after getting back from a day trip.

3. Hot breakfast for all categories.

4. Free laundry - this is for convenience.

4. Free laundry - this is for convenience.

Completely agree.

Another lesson to be learned from Azamara IMO

Why charge for the self service laundry? -- it cannot be a huge profit center. If the specialty restaurants are free, it seems silly to charge to use the laundry -- to me it detracts from Oceania's upscale ambiance.