New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

We are hoping that she will cross over to the Caribbean for the winter season. Otherwise we'll have to fly to Rome ... ;) darn it all! ;)

We went on Oasis of the Seas at about 5 months out, and Allure of the Seas at about 6 ... both were fun cruises. They were still working out a lot of issues on Oasis but Allure was pretty much up & running nicely.

We are really looking forward to getting on a new HAL ship when it is still very new!

Nope, :D :D Not me.

I'm not hot to do World Cruise. Much as I love the ships and cruising, you won't find me on a World Cruise. :o

And the Penthouse? Me? Alone? Definitely Not!! :) DH and I wouldn't have done that together.

Agree 100%. We've been very happy in our NS, would be happy in a SS, and have been happy in a Veranda.

We just can't justify the expense for the PS as we don't entertain on our cabin and really have no need for that much room for two of us. We love the deck 5 wraps on Vistas- the outside area can't be beat (were told veranda is about 450 sq ft).

Hell, we just love being on a ship :D

The image of the top level of the atrium faces Guest Relations so the blue chairs are part of the Grand Dutch Cafe. Wonder if that bright royal blue means it's gonna be a delft color scheme and/or theme?

I noticed that as well, I hope so. With that title, it makes sense.

I'm a little bummed they apparently have moved the deli out of the lido, I like to get some things from there even as a side to whatever else. It moving away is a little inconvenience, nothing major at all just a little more walking (which of course is always good for you!).

I noticed that as well, I hope so. With that title, it makes sense.

I'm a little bummed they apparently have moved the deli out of the lido, I like to get some things from there even as a side to whatever else. It moving away is a little inconvenience, nothing major at all just a little more walking (which of course is always good for you!).

True. But on the plus side I've never thought pizza is really a "pool side food" and in my head anything along the lines of sandwiches, burgers, tacos seems to be more so. So at least there's that. Plus you have some options from the top deck of the lido pool. But deli and bar or dive-in and gelato... that could be a touch decision

True. But on the plus side I've never thought pizza is really a "pool side food" and in my head anything along the lines of sandwiches, burgers, tacos seems to be more so. So at least there's that. Plus you have some options from the top deck of the lido pool. But deli and bar or dive-in and gelato... that could be a touch decision

Agreed w/ the pizza.

Then again HAL's pizza is so bad they should ditch it entirely. :)

We are hoping that she will cross over to the Caribbean for the winter season. Otherwise we'll have to fly to Rome ... ;) darn it all! ;)

We went on Oasis of the Seas at about 5 months out, and Allure of the Seas at about 6 ... both were fun cruises. They were still working out a lot of issues on Oasis but Allure was pretty much up & running nicely.

We are really looking forward to getting on a new HAL ship when it is still very new!

The first in a new Class of ships often have some bugs that have to be worked out. Unless the excitement of being on the first voyage is enough for you to overlook some possible unfinished items or malfunctioning whatever, it might be worth thinking about waiting a bit. For some, the adventure of being on the first voyage more than makes up for some glitches........ each decides for themselves. :)

If the Inaugural were in the Caribbean, I might have considered it. I'm not sure I want to fly to Europe, that time of year for the Inaugural. Something to think about.

Agreed w/ the pizza.

Then again HAL's pizza is so bad they should ditch it entirely. :)

I must have been lucky the few times I got it, but yeah. Only cruise line where I've ever been THOROUGHLY impressed with the pizza was Princess. Carnival's was okay but nothing spectacular... just open 24/7

We would never consider it for three reasons. First off, who wants to sail on a ship that will be in shake down mode? Not us.

Secondly, who wants to sail on ship when we regular cruisers will very much be second class citizens and will take a backseat to the 'invited special guests', cruise line execs, and media, and travel industry execs. Regular cruisers will be on board to essentially subsidize this media and PR event.

Thirdly, who on earth would want to cruise in Europe at that time of year?

The only upside....air fares at that time of year will be low. That is not much of an upside.

Edited by iancal

The initial Collector Voyage itineraries are tempting. All ports would be new for me except Rome and Istanbul. But, the time of year? Anyone have experience as to what to expect weather-wise in February/March?

weatherbase.com is a GREAT resource that compiles and averages out YEARS of collected data for almost any city in the world.

It's been my resource for that initial 7 day.

Looks like temps in the 50-60 degree range for the HIGHS so I'm planning on dressing like I would for an early season Alaska cruise.

Carnival newer ships have a restaurant called 'Captain's Table'.... a dedicated Italian restaurant.

I'd like to have a dedicated Canaletto.... make as a deli, pizza.. real oven thin pizzas... from say 11am to 5pm... and then cover up the tables.. soft lighting... sift music... and a Trattoria... until 11pm. Minimal covers in the evening. Not heavy food... just good and tasty food.

It is OK... just a little wish.

Stephen

Carnival newer ships have a restaurant called 'Captain's Table'.... a dedicated Italian restaurant.

I'd like to have a dedicated Canaletto.... make as a deli, pizza.. real oven thin pizzas... from say 11am to 5pm... and then cover up the tables.. soft lighting... sift music... and a Trattoria... until 11pm. Minimal covers in the evening. Not heavy food... just good and tasty food.

It is OK... just a little wish.

Stephen

Good idea. The dedicated Italian restaurant on Princess' ships simply provides too much food, at least from my most recent Princess experience.

weatherbase.com is a GREAT resource that compiles and averages out YEARS of collected data for almost any city in the world.

It's been my resource for that initial 7 day.

Looks like temps in the 50-60 degree range for the HIGHS so I'm planning on dressing like I would for an early season Alaska cruise.

Many thanks for that resource! I will check it out.

Not as "hateful" of a temperature range as I thought. Dressing for an early Alaska cruise is more pleasant than I have had to dress in the last 3 days here in Ohio!

weatherbase.com is a GREAT resource

Like I said - a bit 'chilly' :)

Good idea. The dedicated Italian restaurant on Princess' ships simply provides too much food, at least from my most recent Princess experience.

Kind of what I was thinking about... but could be a bit more simple. I did think Princess' Sabatini's was very good. Food yet... and a great ambiance.

Many thanks for that resource! I will check it out.

Not as "hateful" of a temperature range as I thought. Dressing for an early Alaska cruise is more pleasant than I have had to dress in the last 3 days here in Ohio!

I have the memory of last winter's 'polar vortex' stuck in my mind. Brrr, we really got socked with freezing weather last winter and seeing the snow in Buffalo right now makes me a bit queasy about how 'balmy' it would be in Rome that time of year.

None of ucan know what the weather will be a given week over a year from now. :) :D

Edited by sail7seas