Non-Cash Gifts for Staff

BrandiGreg

I . . . have never brought anything from home that was special to me and assume it would be special to someone else . . ..

I think you hit on what I feel is an important point: is the reason why one is giving the gifts to make the giver feel nice, or the recipient feel nice? I'm more concerned with the latter, so unless I'm told of something specific, I give cash. That way they can use it as they see fit and I haven't wasted my time or money or opportunity by giving them something they don't want.

Its far different to be told of a need or interest and give something related to that than to presume that other people would like unsolicited gifts related to your interests. Its like a wedding registry: if people list a cocktail shaker, get them one. But don't assume that because you like margaritas, that someone really wants a cocktail shaker.

Also, referring to these people as "kids" strikes me as horribly patronizing; it makes it seem as if they're animals at a petting zoo and not people trying to earn a living.

Edited by Cauzneffct

I think you hit on what I feel is an important point: is the reason why one is giving the gifts to make the giver feel nice, or the recipient feel nice? I'm more concerned with the latter, so unless I'm told of something specific, I give cash. That way they can use it as they see fit and I haven't wasted my time or money or opportunity by giving them something they don't want.

Its far different to be told of a need or interest and give something related to that than to presume that other people would like unsolicited gifts related to your interests. Its like a wedding registry: if people list a cocktail shaker, get them one. But don't assume that because you like margaritas, that someone really wants a cocktail shaker.

Also, referring to these people as "kids" strikes me as horribly patronizing; it makes it seem as if they're animals at a petting zoo and not people trying to earn a living.

I am offended by your snide remark re "kids". If the crew and officers feel comfortable calling us Mom and Dad, I have no problem calling them kids.

I know some of them very well, and because I cited two examples you have used that to expound on your own thoughts and feelings. Very shallow thought patterns are exposed in some of the posts I read here.

If I told you I take two or three HUNDRED items for the crew each cruise, you would probably think I do that to make myself feel good.

Think what you wish, but the responses I see here tell me more about the poster than the subject.

Edited by swedish weave

I am offended by your snide remark re "kids". If the crew and officers feel comfortable calling us Mom and Dad, I have no problem calling them kids.

Why does the crew address you as "Mom and Dad?" I always ask to be called by my first name and most times the crew has a problem doing that. They usually address me as Ma'am. I don't think it appropriate to be called "Mom.":)

If the crew and officers feel comfortable calling us Mom and Dad, I have no problem calling them kids.

I have to agree with others. I don't understand why crew and even officers are calling you a parental nickname.

I was on a cruise last year with a couple who wore Princess name tags that said 'Mom' and 'Dad'. Maybe it was you.

Edited by Paula_MacFan

While on some back to back cruises we got to know some band members because of dancing to their music nightly. They even sat with us on their break once or twice.

We didn't "tip" them then, but we will be back on same ship soon and wondering your thoughts on what would be appropriate to let them know we remember and appreciate them.

We did fill in the comment cards and post cruises email.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Why does the crew address you as "Mom and Dad?" I always ask to be called by my first name and most times the crew has a problem doing that. They usually address me as Ma'am. I don't think it appropriate to be called "Mom.":)

We evidently have different values in life. I will stick with what suits me, and you do likewise.

I have to agree with others. I don't understand why crew and even officers are calling you a parental nickname.

I was on a cruise last year with a couple who wore Princess name tags that said 'Mom' and 'Dad'. Maybe it was you.

We do not need nor use name tags. AND you don't need to understand why many of the crew treat us like family. Maybe they like us !!!! Or maybe it is because we are nice to them.....

Edited by swedish weave

While on some back to back cruises we got to know some band members because of dancing to their music nightly. They even sat with us on their break once or twice.

We didn't "tip" them then, but we will be back on same ship soon and wondering your thoughts on what would be appropriate to let them know we remember and appreciate them.

I could give you some suggestions, but if you read this thread, you can see why I will not do that. I am disgusted with the rudeness and snide remarks some post when you try to convey information to legitimate questions.

We evidently have different values in life. I will stick with what suits me, and you do likewise.

We do not need nor use name tags. AND you don't need to understand why many of the crew treat us like family. Maybe they like us !!!! Or maybe it is because we are nice to them.....

Excuse me-I am Always nice to the crew and if I see them being treated badly, I do speak up.

Who is being snide????

We "tipped" them. We gave money to entertainers we enjoyed. No different than putting money in a tip jar on the piano at a cocktail lounge.

In this case, probably because you became "friendly" with the entertainers, you felt embarrassed to give them money. Too bad. I am sure they would have appreciated both your personal attention and a monetary gift.

For what it's worth, I don't think the entertainment staff is on any of the auto-tipping food chains. Perhaps someone can correct that impression.

I hope this is the case. I hope that all the crew members you encounter (dozens?) consider you their family. I hope that they are all sincere in their praises of you and your generosity. I hope that none of them are just being polite to you (as they are trained to do to all passengers) and then forgetting all about you when you leave the ship. You are so invested in this idea of closeness that it would be just heartbreaking if it were all an act on the part of the staff.

I am always nice to the staff. I tip but don't give gifts. They are always very nice to me and give me excellent service. No one has ever called me "Mom," but that's okay with me. I get plenty of "Hey, Mom" at home. :)

My goodness! No reason for such a well intentioned thread to turn nasty towards anyone. We all have our own experiences.

To the OP, I think what you have found is that there are many opinions on this subject but most importantly I think everyone agrees that:

1) First and foremost, leave the autotip in place. This is the basis of the crew's salary and they rely on it.

2) If someone gives you good service and you want to reward them, cash is always the most appreciated.

3) Good comments are as appreciated as cash! Clearly recent threads have shown that the crew really needs those glowing comment cards to maximize their share of the tip pool and also get promoted. So be generous with your praise as well as your dollars!

4) Sometimes people get to know crew members on a personal level. I have crew members that are my Facebook friends and I'm guessing I'm not the only one. If you are a frequent Princess cruiser, you are likely to make some friends among the staff and crew. In those instances personal gifts based on a level of friendship and familiarity are not at all out of line.

5) Some people love to give gifts! And honestly, most people love to receive them, even if it is something that ends up recycled, the thought is most likely appreciated. If you are of a generous nature and just love to spread around candy or little trinkets amongst the crew, just do what makes you happy. It certainly isn't going to make them hate you! And if they don't like the candy you gave them I'm sure they can share it with someone who does. And if the trinket doesn't suit them, they can toss it or regift it. But I'm sure they will appreciate the thoughtful consideration behind the effort. (Assuming it isn't a substitute for tips, cash or formal praise!)

Lastly, I really think the greatest gift we can all provide to the staff and crew beyond tips, cash, praise and trinkets is a thoughtful and appreciative attitude. A person who is thankful, considerate, respectful, patient, understanding and genuinely interested in being friendly is likely the thing they are most grateful for on a daily basis in their demanding jobs.

Just be nice! (And be nice to each other here too :) )

Last Christmas, I got quite a few things for our cabin steward ahead of time, wrapped them and gave them to him on the 25th. He didn't seem that excited but I had fun getting it all for him.

So you were excited buying someone you do not know a present that they did not want for a holiday that they may not celebrate and who has to pretend that the gift is wonderful. I am really glad that at least the giver is happy.

DON

My goodness! No reason for such a well intentioned thread to turn nasty towards anyone. We all have our own experiences.

To the OP, I think what you have found is that there are many opinions on this subject but most importantly I think everyone agrees that:

1) First and foremost, leave the autotip in place. This is the basis of the crew's salary and they rely on it.

2) If someone gives you good service and you want to reward them, cash is always the most appreciated.

3) Good comments are as appreciated as cash! Clearly recent threads have shown that the crew really needs those glowing comment cards to maximize their share of the tip pool and also get promoted. So be generous with your praise as well as your dollars!

4) Sometimes people get to know crew members on a personal level. I have crew members that are my Facebook friends and I'm guessing I'm not the only one. If you are a frequent Princess cruiser, you are likely to make some friends among the staff and crew. In those instances personal gifts based on a level of friendship and familiarity are not at all out of line.

5) Some people love to give gifts! And honestly, most people love to receive them, even if it is something that ends up recycled, the thought is most likely appreciated. If you are of a generous nature and just love to spread around candy or little trinkets amongst the crew, just do what makes you happy. It certainly isn't going to make them hate you! And if they don't like the candy you gave them I'm sure they can share it with someone who does. And if the trinket doesn't suit them, they can toss it or regift it. But I'm sure they will appreciate the thoughtful consideration behind the effort. (Assuming it isn't a substitute for tips, cash or formal praise!)

Lastly, I really think the greatest gift we can all provide to the staff and crew beyond tips, cash, praise and trinkets is a thoughtful and appreciative attitude. A person who is thankful, considerate, respectful, patient, understanding and genuinely interested in being friendly is likely the thing they are most grateful for on a daily basis in their demanding jobs.

Just be nice! (And be nice to each other here too :) )

Thanks karatemom2. I like the way you think, especially the last line.

Edited by bigenna

I see the word "gifts" being interpreted as "trinkets" by some on this thread.

Would it be appropriate to interpret the word "money" as "pennies" ?

I feel this would level the playing field and make gift giving easier to understand.

So does that mean we are starting the entire discussion over again?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I always give gifts that are small and green and fold neatly to go in a pocket. While it might not be original, it always seems to be appreciated.

How is this for originality?

Not to be limited to $1 bills.

gyhu7ame.jpg

jasa9u4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is this for originality?

Not to be limited to $1 bills.

gyhu7ame.jpg

jasa9u4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cute. Maybe before the next cruise, I'll have to get out my origami book and see what I can adapt bills to.

As for getting to know crew members, unless you go on the same ship or otherwise end up running into the same crew members. We're not in that position as we can't vacation every year so obviously we don't go on cruises every year. We did have a waiter on one cruise who was our assistant waiter on another ship just a year and a half before. She actually remembered a few details about us right off the back (that hubby would bring his own traveling mug to dinner and that I like salads with lemon but no dressing; and we remembered that she had a boyfriend on the previous cruise, but she updated that they were no longer together).

Once we had a cabin steward from Romania, which is the country where my FIL was born and raised. So hubby did talk to her about visiting the country as a kid and they talked a while (in hindsight, I hope she didn't get into trouble or got too delayed when it came to her other cabins) about conditions there -- it's a very poor country. On another cruise, our cabin steward was from Thailand, and she seemed to get a kick out of my daughter whose teacher the year before was from Korea and my daughter would greet the steward with a bow each time.

In the long run, besides keeping the auto-tips on and possible giving extra cash at the end of the cruise, probably the best nicety is to treat crew members with respect, return their "good mornings" in turn and with a smile, don't make unnecessary/unreasonable demands, and note down their names for when you complete that email survey when you get home.

Nope !! Just trying to clear up some misunderstanding. The gifts I give are not trinkets by any stretch of the imagination.

One man's trinket and so forth...Like anything else, it's in the eye of the beholder. Now, those origami bills are wonderful! I think that's a great idea.

On our cruise last month I brought Easter candy from my hometown and Easter treat bags filled with Candy gum mints etc. these treats were given in addition to the normal tip I would provide. For example, we had spa services on Easter and I went back to the spa and left a bag for the lovely girl who provided my services who was missing her family. I left chocolates for my room steward too and brought some to the piano bar... again, all in addition to regular tips - and the reactions spanned from heartfelt thank yous to tears....

On our cruise last month I brought Easter candy from my hometown and Easter treat bags filled with Candy gum mints etc. these treats were given in addition to the normal tip I would provide. For example, we had spa services on Easter and I went back to the spa and left a bag for the lovely girl who provided my services who was missing her family. I left chocolates for my room steward too and brought some to the piano bar... again, all in addition to regular tips - and the reactions spanned from heartfelt thank yous to tears....

Where did his preoccupation with gifts for crew start? Don't you people ever just go to the beach? Parties, dolphins tee shirts, Easter candy. Unbelievable. Just give your auto tips and worry whether the sun will be out in your next port. Trust me your steward doesn't want your crap.

Do you think it would be tacky if I saved up the chocolate that is left on our pillows during the cruise and re-gift it back to the room steward?:D

That would be tacky, but if you give it to your dining room waiter he'll be thrilled.