Non-Cash Gifts for Staff

BrandiGreg

What has been the experience of anyone with giving of gifts to crew/staff? I know cash tips are pooled. How do they pool gifts? What gifts are most appreciated? Thanks

They will graciously accept your gift and throw it away later. These are people not pets you give treats to. Just leave your tips intact and they will be happy to be paid for their job.

Where did his preoccupation with gifts for crew start? Don't you people ever just go to the beach? Parties, dolphins tee shirts, Easter candy. Unbelievable. Just give your auto tips and worry whether the sun will be out in your next port. Trust me your steward doesn't want your crap.

Are you well acquainted with their steward ? I don't believe you have the correct information to judge what the steward wants.

They will graciously accept your gift and throw it away later. These are people not pets you give treats to. Just leave your tips intact and they will be happy to be paid for their job.

Do you know these people ? How can you judge what they like ?

The point, which you seem to be missing entirely, is that we don't know "these people." Nor can we develop such knowledge over the course of the average 7-, 14-, or even 30-day cruise. You claim you have; maybe that's true. But the normal passenger does not.

I agree with Karatemom2.

Well said!

Remember to keep auto tip,give extra tips to crew members who have given you good service,write comments on the personnel cards and e mail

survey for those crew members who deserve the praise, be respectful and smile!

If some guests want to give gifts to crew members,that's fne.

We go on a cruise for a relaxing,pleasant experience.

Live and let live-or should I say cruise and let cruise?!

Bon Voyage everyone!

The point, which you seem to be missing entirely, is that we don't know "these people." Nor can we develop such knowledge over the course of the average 7-, 14-, or even 30-day cruise. You claim you have; maybe that's true. But the normal passenger does not.

Those who are passing judgement on the passengers who give gifts are specifically saying what the crew member wants or doesn't want.

This is not about me, it is a question if these people know what they are talking about.

I also see comments about "gift giving" being for the benefit of the giver. If that is true, isn't giving cash the same thing?

I want to add another comment. I have known some of these crew members for over ten years, and keep in touch with some. I occasionally receive emails from their families thanking me for the gifts the crew member takes home to them. If this is "trashing the gifts" as some uninformed posters have stated, I am being lied to by my friends.

Edited by swedish weave

You are correct, we don't know those people and for that reason we also don't know what they like or dislike. So for us that means no "trinkets", "calling cards" or "gummy balls". As mentioned before, trinkets are useless-calling cards are obsolete and gummy balls..oh well.

I gather from your earlier posts that you do not bring any of the above and assume (I know, bad choice) that your (300 +)gifts are more worthwhile and valuable.

Now, if each gift was worth $ 5.00 then a cash gift of $ 1,500.00 would be much more appreciated by the crew, just saying.

But if you are happy with it, good for you.

Theo

I do believe that the crew want and need cash- However, I do want them to have a little something special. Being from Oklahoma, I bring a few postcards of Oklahoma things- cowboys, American Indians, tornadoes- that kind of thing that are extremely rare for most folks internationally. I place a few cards WITH the extra tip... most seem to enjoy! :p

Although your thoughtfulness is to be commended do you really think the crew members appreciate Cowboy memorabilia from Oklahoma?? Cash is still king.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That everytime someone asks this

question it becomes a RUDE WAR!

Everyone do what you want.

I leave the auto tip on..give extra at the end of

cruise and sometimes extra at beginning also give candy.

Last time to Hawaii gave my steward a box of chocolate covered

mac nuts. He loved them. Told me he counted out two

a night so they would last.

Do you notice the crew always go to Costco to get what

they need plus snacks. Remember they don't get to

eat all the things you do.

So if you want to give something extra do..don't let others

stop you. Most will like it..keep it or share it. Some might not..

that's life!

Remember...This board is to ask questions, you can give answers

and suggestions but SOME OF YOU..don't think YOUR answer is the ONLY RIGHT ONE.

You might not like or agree with what I just said or with others but..

Be nice about it and not so rude and mean to anyone who writes.

CRUISING IS SUPPOSE TO BE FUN! ENJOY! LIGHTEN UP!

Everyone do what you want.

I leave the auto tip on..give extra at the end of

cruise and sometimes extra at beginning also give candy.

Last time to Hawaii gave my steward a box of chocolate covered

mac nuts. He loved them. Told me he counted out two

a night so they would last.

So if you want to give something extra do..don't let others

stop you. Most will like it..keep it or share it. Some might not..

that's life!

Remember...This board is to ask questions, you can give answers

and suggestions but SOME OF YOU..don't think YOUR answer is the ONLY RIGHT ONE.

You might not like or agree with what I just said or with others but..

Be nice about it and not so rude and mean to anyone who writes.

CRUISING IS SUPPOSE TO BE FUN! ENJOY! LIGHTEN UP!

Thank you for your post.

Belle thanks for your post. I love this site for all the help I have been given but I too don't understand why some posters are so critical. We can have different opinions, that is what makes life interesting, but need to remember to be respectful of one another.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Yes, they do--and a cash gift will allow them to buy the things they want, not what you think they might like.

Cash is still what they want, what they work for, and what they appreciate the most.

Edited by FritzG

my $.02 - if you have to ask on a forum what strangers want as a gift, just go with cash. It's the only universally appreciated tip.

Nobody can assure you that your particular cabin steward will not be allergic to chocolate; as an example, especially since nobody knows ahead of time who your personal steward or waiter will be.

If you know ahead of time that several of your friends will be serving you, a gift would be very appropriate, since you know them & their preferences.

If you've ever been in a situation where you've groaned on the inside at a particular gift you've received while putting out a huge smile and thank you, then you can imagine the spot you'd be putting a service person in if you guess wrong.

Often when I read these threads I wonder if there is a hidden agenda such as if I give a gift then I can turn off the auto tip and the room steward will be able to keep the gift since it isn't cash it won't have to be pooled. I'm not saying that this is the case for the OP or Swedish Weave but it always crosses my mind. If you are leaving the auto tip in place and you like to give a gift there is no need for approval. I never notice where the crew shops or what they buy. I'm on vacation and this never crossed my mind. The last thing I want to do is shop for people that I don't even know. I have enough trouble finding something to give my 81 year old mother for Mother's Day and I have known her 53 years.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Often when I read these threads I wonder if there is a hidden agenda such as if I give a gift then I can turn off the auto tip and the room steward will be able to keep the gift since it isn't cash it won't have to be pooled. I'm not saying that this is the case for the OP or Swedish Weave but it always crosses my mind. If you are leaving the auto tip in place and you like to give a gift there is no need for approval. I never notice where the crew shops or what they buy. I'm on vacation and this never crossed my mind. The last thing I want to do is shop for people that I don't even know. I have enough trouble finding something to give my 81 year old mother for Mother's Day and I have known her 53 years.

Since you mentioned my posts, I will answer your question.

I have never cancelled nor reduced the auto tip, and have no intention of doing so.

I prefer to spend some money for gifts for the crew than spend it on myself and that includes fancy cabins and specialty restaurants. I will say that some of these things do come my way on my cruises because of the generosity of some of the crew members. I have received small gifts and wonderful thank you notes from some crew members in addition to invitations to some events.

When I present a gift to a crew member and others indicate they would like one, I give it to them. Some of them will not serve me during the cruise and I don't care about that because I enjoy giving them something they like. This is NOT in lieu of additional tips as some who post here have tried to imply. Also, if the gift has religious connections, I am not FORCING that on anyone. It is given to them on request. The negativity on this board will deter many from posting about the positive aspects of gift giving, and I am on the verge of stopping the posts because of the nastiness of some of those who impose their own ideas and beliefs into the thread.

I look at the crew on a ship as I do the residents of a small town. If you are nice or not nice, the word spreads rapidly and soon you are recognized for your actions. I do not intend to stop treating the crew the way I do, and would encourage others who are so inclined to do the same.

I am on the verge of stopping the posts because of the nastiness of some of those who impose their own ideas and beliefs into the thread.

Probably a good idea, IMO.

If you are nice or not nice, the word spreads rapidly and soon you are recognized for your actions. I do not intend to stop treating the crew the way I do, and would encourage others who are so inclined to do the same.

However, I must ask: are you suggesting that people who do not give gifts to crew members (as you do) are not nice to them?

Edited by shredie

Probably a good idea, IMO.

However, I must ask: are you suggesting that people who do not give gifts to crew members (as you do) are not nice to them?

I do not ask for nor do I need your advice on this subject. I will make that decision, but you are proving my point about the type of posts on this thread.

If you read my post, I meant what I said and do not need your ideas interjected into my post.

Thank you for your interest.

I've learned with my daughter, whom I've known for over 16 years now:), that cash or gift cards for her favorite stores is best for birthdays and other gift giving occasions. She can then get what she wants. And through the years, I started giving gift cards (like Target, which doesn't expire) so that a parent can take their kid shopping for the right size clothing or other appropriate gifts.

I still remember one mother whose daughter was given a necklace with a cross by one of the father's relatives...and she was shaking her head because she was bringing up her daughter Jewish. Maybe a good intention, but in the long run, not appropriate.

So I think that's a good policy for crew members (with whom I'm not going to get to know that well in just two weeks).

If you want to give little trinkets or candy, you're going to no matter what anyone else says here. But giving a little extra moolah on the last day of the cruise will probably be more appreciated.

As a crewmember I can say that most non-cash gifts will probably get put in the waste bin or left behind. It's not because we don't want or appreciate them, it's that there's simply no room to pack them. You all bring 2 suitcases for a 7-day cruise. We bring 2 suitcases for 4-10 months and one of those is just for uniforms. When we get gifts or tips for other crewmembers, such as our cabin stewards (for officers), it's in the form of cash or phone/internet cards (which passengers can't buy).