Dress Code AMA Waterways

garretts

Hello,

My husband and I are taking the Provence to Barcelona AMA Waterways cruise in June. We will be traveling standby on flights to and within Europe so we will need to pack in carry-on luggage. We won't have room to pack many dressy items and are wondering if jeans are acceptable for dinners on the ship.

Thank you for any insight,

Karen

We also frequently fly stand by and always carry on. Unfortunately, it is difficult when flying Internationally because so many airlines have very limited carry on requirements, especially weight restrictions. Even US airlines are becoming less lenient. I flew from HKG to SFO a few weeks ago and had to check my roll aboard even though I have never had to do that before. We have booked an AMA cruise and won't be flying stand by but still plan to pack as I usually do. I have been reading posts about attire and it seems as if jeans at dinner is a very controversial subject no matter which cruise line you ask about. I have a pair of black travel friendly slack that I plan to wear on the plane and in the dining room. Jeans the rest of the time. Did this for our Canada New England cruise that started in Quebec City. We did not check bags so had to pack carefully. Our big problem that trip was Hurricane Sandy. Our cruise ended in New Jersey 2 days after Sandy hit and as you might guess, stand by pax weren't having any luck. We had to get creative that time! Flying stand by is always an adventure!

I agree with Purduemom. While not completely taboo, jeans at dinner is probably not a good idea. However, AMA is casual so anything other shorts and jeans at dinner is acceptable. Have a great trip and you will love AMA.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hello,

My husband and I are taking the Provence to Barcelona AMA Waterways cruise in June. We will be traveling standby on flights to and within Europe so we will need to pack in carry-on luggage. We won't have room to pack many dressy items and are wondering if jeans are acceptable for dinners on the ship.

Karen

We are fans of carry on simply because we travel DIY before and after in Europe using public transport.

We have been on three AMA cruises so far. In the evenings, it is rare to see jeans on anyone but they will not turn you away.

icon1.gif

For years I have read dress code threads on CC about many different lines and I am always puzzled about such concern about what others are wearing. I understand the idea of a "nice atmosphere," but I believe that ideas about appropriate dress are generational, regional, and cultural. In "my day" flip flops were for beach and pool use, yet my very fashionably-dressed son and his wife wear "dressy flip flops" almost everywhere. On the SoCal coast (where I live), I would be hard pressed to think of a restaurant including those with Michelin stars where dressy jeans (not an oxymoron) with an nice top would not be welcome. A 2011 Wall Street Journal article on restaurant dress codes stated, "At the iconic Polo Lounge at the Beverly Hills Hotel—a second home to Hollywood's elite since 1912—the once strictly enforced dress code is now "no tank-tops after 10 p.m." There are still cultural and regional differences, however; what is expected in New York, London, or even parts of San Francisco is not our practice. Cowboy boots in Texas have their own roles in the clothing pantheon. While cruising on AMA, I will wear either black corduroy jeans (that look like black velvet) or nice dark blue denim jeans with a lovely top that covers the tell-tale pockets and belt loops. One reason I am looking forward to river cruising is that I don't have to worry about the "dress code" and can concentrate on new adventures with wonderful new people!

I have been on AMA 3 times now, and jeans are totally acceptable. While they are not in the majority, there are at least 10-20 passengers wearing jeans at any given evening meal.

We brough more nice slacks to wear our first time(Rhone and Provence), and when we saw so many other passengers wearing jeans at dinner we wore them also.

Some of the passengers do dress up more, and most wear khakis, slacks, polos, etc.

Wear and bring what you want, its your vacation!

• 3 years later...
Hello,

Karen

Why would you ware heavy jeans?? Buy light weight travel pants that you can have three pairs for the same weight as one pair of jeans. They would be more acceptable for dinner and walking around in the heat.

Why would you ware heavy jeans?? Buy light weight travel pants that you can have three pairs for the same weight as one pair of jeans. They would be more acceptable for dinner and walking around in the heat.

They are also much easier to wash in a sink and will dry much more quickly.

Jeans are comfortable and warm - very useful for Christmas markets.
Warm is not so useful for the OPs travels in Provence and Spain in June. Cold rain is not unusual​at Xmas markets. Jeans (versus wool) are miserably cold when wet. Jeans take a long time to dry.

They cruised 3 years ago..........the date of the thread started back in 2014......;)

Jeans are comfortable and warm - very useful for Christmas markets.

We found that jeans were not the pant of choice on our three different Christmas market cruises. Jeans take forever to dry, and are uncomfortable to wear when wet. We ran into lots of snow and sleet one year and wet cold rainy weather on the other two. Corduroy and heavy ponte worked well. They also were usable both day and night in the dining room.