A noro question...

What happens with the B2B cruisers on disembarkation day if the ship is being deep cleaned due to noro? Would they make them get off the ship for a few hours, or would there be areas of the ship that would be okay to use?

I have to admit, since actually having noro on our last cruise, I'm a leeeetle nervous about it happening again. I keep reassuring myself though, that with 7 cruises under my belt, it's only happened once.

Still very excited for our upcoming cruise on FOS!

Unless the B2B'ers are sick, I'm pretty sure they are allowed right back on, as usual....if they are ill, they would be confined to their cabin.

This is incorrect. The B2B'ers would have to remain off the ship until the cleaning is completed regardless if they were sick or not. To go right back on before the ship has been cleaned would run the risk of a B2Ber possibly being exposed to the virus and causing it to spread again after the ship sails.

This is incorrect. The B2B'ers would have to remain off the ship until the cleaning is completed regardless if they were sick or not. To go right back on before the ship has been cleaned would run the risk of a B2Ber possibly being exposed to the virus and causing it to spread again after the ship sails.

True. This happened to my sister in April on Grandeur. Royal offered to pay expenses for them while off the ship (lunch, city bus tour, etc.)

Just happened on our Independence Of The Seas cruise (we were only on the second leg.) B2B-ers on our sailing said RCCL sent them on an excursion of some sort to tour Miami during the 'deep clean.'

And, a couple (according to a crew member) had to leave the ship for the second leg because the wife had noro but was no longer in quarantine. RC was afraid the spouse would have the virus so they could not complete their B2B. To make it worse, the couple was to become Pinnacle on that trip. But I do understand -- I know that people who have noro are miserable and it spreads quickly. The crew was suffering as well. On the 4/12 Grandeur trip I never saw crew work so hard and so long. They should be commended.

The B2Bers would definitely not just be confined to their cabin for the second leg if they were ill. My sister and her husband were visited by a medical team in their cabin (knock on the door but unannounced) the night before the end of the cruise. The medical team wanted to check that they were not ill before allowing them to stay on the ship for the next leg. The medical team was very nice but said that, unfortunately, some people do not report an illness and lie about being sick.

The B2Bers would definitely not just be confined to their cabin for the second leg if they were ill. My sister and her husband were visited by a medical team in their cabin (knock on the door but unannounced) the night before the end of the cruise. The medical team wanted to check that they were not ill before allowing them to stay on the ship for the next leg. The medical team was very nice but said that, unfortunately, some people do not report an illness and lie about being sick.

Was this a trip where the first week there was a noro outbreak, but they didn't get sick at all, and the medical team was just making sure they were okay?

Are there certain times of the year when noro is more prevalent?

Yes, an outbreak the first week and checking them out. As I previously posted, the other b2b couple was not allowed to continue.

I believe noro patterns the flu, stomach bug on land. Fall, winter are the worst. Wash you hands a lot, don't touch your mouth, eyes before washing your hands, and I, personally, don't go to the buffets if there is an outbreak.

Was this a trip where the first week there was a noro outbreak, but they didn't get sick at all, and the medical team was just making sure they were okay?

Are there certain times of the year when noro is more prevalent?

Noro can happen at any time, anyplace. Remember, only 2% of noro cases are on ships, but those are the only ones that you hear about as the cruise industry is the only one that must report outbreaks. Most Noro cases start on an airplane, subway, or other confined space but symptoms do not become visible until the person who is sick is no longer at the place where they caught it.

Steve

Yet AGAIN, wrong information, pretty sure doesn't cut it.

Agreed.

Thanks to all who replied who have actually had this happen. Good to know your first-hand information is accurate. As stated, guessing or being "pretty sure" is definitely not acceptable, especially in a case of Noro being present.

OP, please don't worry! Enjoy every moment of your fabulous B2B's. If we could do that every time I would be a happy camper. :D

Yes, an outbreak the first week and checking them out. As I previously posted, the other b2b couple was not allowed to continue.

I believe noro patterns the flu, stomach bug on land. Fall, winter are the worst. Wash you hands a lot, don't touch your mouth, eyes before washing your hands, and I, personally, don't go to the buffets if there is an outbreak.

Once again misinformation is being passed on. "I believe..." does not cut it at all. Noro can happen at ANY time where people gather. It is not worse in the fall or winter.

If you do not know the answer then please do a bit of research before responding.

Sorry, but having spent 33 years in a school, these types of bugs are far less likely to evolve into an outbreak during the months when everyone is outside. How many times have you heard of a noro outbreak during the summer on a ship? "I believe" is a clarifier, giving my personal opinion and experience. Sorry you felt the need to be rude.

Taken from the CDC website:

Norovirus outbreaks occur throughout the year. But, over 80% of the outbreaks occur from November to April.

That is not fall but winter and spring.

I rest my case.

Sorry, but having spent 33 years in a school, these types of bugs are far less likely to evolve into an outbreak during the months when everyone is outside. How many times have you heard of a noro outbreak during the summer on a ship? "I believe" is a clarifier, giving my personal opinion and experience. Sorry you felt the need to be rude.

Rude??? Excuse me...I was not being rude. Just stating what I know and backed up by the CDC as posted by the other poster.

I rest my case.

IF you REALLY want to get Technical. The first day of winter is in December. This Year it was Dec. 21st... SO if cases of Noro are higher from Nov-April it still is fall. Fall, winter & spring.

I rest my case.

Please reread. I said that fall and winter are the worst. I never implied that these viruses do not happen at any other time. Much ado about nothing.

Edited by Lady Hudson

On a recent B2B we were instructed to leave the ship for a couple of hours for the deeper clean. No tour or lunch etc. We saw men with masks the day before start to spray some of the handrails around the top deck, and it was my belief that they would be doing extra cleaning and maybe spraying around other common areas. I did not want to be on the ship sucking in chemicals. We just wandered around the nearby area in Sydney, and we were back on before lunch with our luggage in our room when they were open at about 1pm.

We didn't know anyone that was ill on either leg luckily.

conscrletter.jpg