Bringing water bottles on the ship

saved4ever1

first time cruiser here, so sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm wondering if I can bring water bottles on the ship? I'm trying to drink a lot more water and the cost of water bottles on ship seems high to me.

Thanks

Not sure what cruise line you are considering but with RCI, although they state that water is not allowed to be brought on board, that rarely seems to be enforced and people report bringing on full cases of water as luggage.

While not questioning your preference for bottled water, the non-bottled water on board is of very high quality - far better IMO than most treated tap water - and it is free. Perhaps as a new cruiser you may not be aware of that.

first time cruiser here, so sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm wondering if I can bring water bottles on the ship? I'm trying to drink a lot more water and the cost of water bottles on ship seems high to me.

Thanks

Each cruiseline has it's own policy about bringing beverages onboard. You'll have to check with yours to find out what it is.

I will point out that it's not really necessary to bring purchased water in bottles onboard most cruiselines, as the water onboard (from the tap, served at meals, preparing food, etc) is processed the same as bottled waters (reverse osmosis and filtered) on most cruiselines.

We just bring our own refillable waterbottle to use onboard. Also cuts back on all that less-environmentally friendly plastic waste.

A refillable bottle is fine, or just ask any waiter for ice water at any bar or eating venue! They will give you as much as you'd like!

correct

generally they don't want you to fill direct from a fountain or dispenser tho (cross contamination issues) so expect to pour from a glass. Bring a wide mouth bottle or a funnel! Wide mouth makes it easier to get in ice . . .

ship's water is typically at least as pure as your 'standard' local bottled water with is cleaned by reverse osmosis ... the process used on most modern cruise ships to convert sea water to 'potable' water. Some ships use (or augment with) evaporators which yield distilled water.

Hint - a tall Tervis, with the slide on handle and the snap on lid . . . big, easy to fill, insulated ....

Edited by Capt_BJ

correct

generally they don't want you to fill direct from a fountain or dispenser tho (cross contamination issues) so expect to pour from a glass. Bring a wide mouth bottle or a funnel! Wide mouth makes it easier to get in ice . . .

ship's water is typically at least as pure as your 'standard' local bottled water with is cleaned by reverse osmosis ... the process used on most modern cruise ships to convert sea water to 'potable' water. Some ships use (or augment with) evaporators which yield distilled water.

Hint - a tall Tervis, with the slide on handle and the snap on lid . . . big, easy to fill, insulated ....

And I'll chime in with my chlorine spiel. You may notice a "taste" in the water, especially from your cabin tap. The ship's water is chlorinated to a much higher concentration than municipal water. The water from the drink dispensers at the buffet and bars is filtered to remove the chlorine (it causes maintenance problems in the machines), and so removes the taste. If you want to fill your water bottle in your cabin, either use a Brita type filtered water bottle, or fill the bottle (or a pitcher) and let it sit open for an hour and the chlorine will dissipate on its own.

As others have noted, you must use a clean glass at the drink dispenser to fill your bottle. Do not let the glass touch the water bottle. Bit of a "chemistry experiment", but necessary for USPH sanitation requirements.