Shipping Luggage to your ship

kruzguys

Has anyone used a shipping service to get your luggage to your ship from your home, as opposed to traveling with it - anyone you would recomend??

I haven't done it, but have you looked into the cost of shipping something that heavy? I would think it would be more than baggage fees on an airline. I could be wrong.

We are using luggage forward.com as they have an excellent reputation, are endorsed by many quality groups and pricing is competitive. It is expensive, but so is traveling and I'd rather not have to worry about hauling cruise luggage around when I have only one day to spend in Venice. So far the customer service has been outstanding. The company is based in Boston.

I haven't done it, but have you looked into the cost of shipping something that heavy? I would think it would be more than baggage fees on an airline. I could be wrong.

The cheapest is FedEx, four day service, bag up to 65 lbs, is $102. Not sure the cruise line would accept delivery.

The cheapest is FedEx, four day service, bag up to 65 lbs, is $102. Not sure the cruise line would accept delivery.

Without knowing any details- shipping from where, to where, it is hard to give an accurate answer. But as chengkp75 indicates, you can go to the Fedex site and get a pretty accurate idea on costs. The next question is whom are you going to ship it to? A cruise terminal won't work.

Previous discussions on this topic usually come to the conclusion, at least financially, it wouldn't be a great idea.

the cruise lines have services but I found the pricing better for us using an outside service. they have a representative in most ports that will get your luggage to your ship. if you visit their website you can immediately see what it will cost you to ship it from point a to point b. It is expensive, but when I consider what we are already spending to be on vacation, it seemed like a fair trade off for not having to deal with the luggage. Another advantage is that they wrangle all the customs paperwork for you. Not so if you deal through Fedex. Just saying. The website is very simple and easy to use, and their call center is also excellent. They are in Boston so on EST. Good luck!

We shipped two bags home from a cruise by UPS - we stopped at their Miami office on the way to our hotel - we were taking a train back to CT the next morning. - I think if was about $130 or so total. I do not think you can have the ship accept it, but with enough lead time you could have it sent to a hotel a day before embarkation - or specify that you would puck if up from UPS office on the way to the pier.

DH and I have shipped a few times. With him being disabled, it's easier for me. Like others have said, it's not cheap. For us, using a luggage shipping service, two bags from our home outside Dallas to FLL, was $940. You cannot ship directly to the cruise ship as security won't allow it. What happens with a luggage service is your bags are shipped to a local agent and he takes it to the ship and gives them to the porters. I don't know how it would work if you ship independently but I suspect it would have to be sent to a local UPS or FED EX office and you'd have to pick them up there.

Has anyone used a shipping service to get your luggage to your ship from your home, as opposed to traveling with it - anyone you would recomend??

Check out luggage forward dot com. They pick up at your home and will have it in your cabin before you arrive. They say they will pick up in any country and will ship to any port or cruise line.

• 5 years later...
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2014 at 8:59 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Check out luggage forward dot com. They pick up at your home and will have it in your cabin before you arrive. They say they will pick up in any country and will ship to any port or cruise line.

I have used luggage forward 3 times ... 1st time was with hubby,  who was partially disabled,  and we were spending a few days in Venice before embarking on our cruise.  The idea of trying to get that large suitcase to our hotel and then to the ship was rather overwhelming so we decided to opt for the rather heavy expense of shipping it with luggage forward.  It was easy and wonderful to find the suitcase in our cabin when we got on the ship.  Since my husband's death, I have opted to use the service 2 other times (always overseas) and have been happy with everything but the expense.  I am planning to use it again (just for one suitcase) in a few weeks when I sail on a TA from Copenhagen.  From the beginning of booking the cruise, I just planned on paying the shipping expense.

1 hour ago, elsie3939 said:

I have used luggage forward 3 times ... 1st time was with hubby,  who was partially disabled,  and we were spending a few days in Venice before embarking on our cruise.  The idea of trying to get that large suitcase to our hotel and then to the ship was rather overwhelming so we decided to opt for the rather heavy expense of shipping it with luggage forward.  It was easy and wonderful to find the suitcase in our cabin when we got on the ship.  Since my husband's death, I have opted to use the service 2 other times (always overseas) and have been happy with everything but the expense.  I am planning to use it again (just for one suitcase) in a few weeks when I sail on a TA from Copenhagen.  From the beginning of booking the cruise, I just planned on paying the shipping expense.

Glad it worked out for you. You must be a history buff as my post was over 5 years ago.  Happy future cruising..