River Cruising with a Child

MamaWals

Hubby and I are very experienced travelers and have lived all over the world. We've done three Norwegian cruises together and with family, and he did numerous cruises before we married. We'd really love to do a Viking River Cruise but we have a 9 month old. All the pictures for these cruises are of retired people. Are we crazy? We have no problem travelling, cruising, or flying with our child. He's chill and as I said - we have traveling down to an art form. I'm just concerned about whether children are welcome on these types of cruises. Anyone here have experience either river cruising with a child, or being on a river cruise where other people had children? What do you think?

I am sorry, but I do not think is is a good idea for a number of reasons. The cabins are smaller, and there is literally no place for a crib.

The shore excursions are very intensive, and one of you would have to stay with the child on the ship. Many of the older cities have cobble stoned streets, which would make it difficult to

for a stroller.

There are no babysitting or nursery facilities on the ships I am aware of.

The youngest child I have personally seen on a river cruise was about 12, and was a charming young lady.

You are correct that most river cruises attract a more mature clientele, and I am sure they would dote over your baby, but I think the logistics for dealing with a child that young would rule out river cruising.

MamaWals,

I don´t think that Viking will allow a 9 month old kid. Most river cruise companies do have a minimum age of 12 y. Check the Viking fine print.

And you won´t find a crib, high chair or anything else for your son onboard.

BTW I´ve done several river cruises (mainly in the US) with our DD starting at the age of 18 months. No problem at all (as long as the kid is well behaved).

steamboats

Hello MamaWals,

I agree with the other posters. Usually the small print says something like: "We regret we cannot accommodate children under the age of two." Standard for Germany. Companies in other countries might well have higher age limits. There are family cruises available but again these cater for families with school-age children.

If you would like to try out a river cruise you could start with half-day trips, moving up to full-day trips on a general land trip and take it from there. There are of course plenty of opportunities for that all over Europe. For example: Stay in Strassburg (France) and cruise the town's canals. Or stay in Cologne, cruise upriver to Koblenz and return by train. Etc.

notamermaid

I have just found this in Croisieuropes conditions.

REDUCTIONS FOR CHILDREN: Under 2 years of age, meal and accommodation costs are payable in situ; over 2 and under 10 years of age: 20% reduction on the price of the cruise excluding taxes, supplements and administrative costs. This discount does not apply to the brand CroisiVoyages (Mekong, Volga etc.).

Could not find anything about a minimum age for this line.

Although I have cruised twice with them (plus one pending) I have never seen very young children on board.

Hello squarevanman,

that is very interesting. CroisiEurope is a French company, of course. The French are "family-holiday friendlier" than the Germans, in general, so I am not surprised. Still as you say, no small children onboard your cruises.

This type of holiday just does not lend itself to toddlers and babies.

notamermaid

I just copied this from the Scenic Terms and Conditions. Not sure if similar applies to other River Cruise Lines.

"4.8 Young Passengers

(a) Passengers under the age of 21 years (as at the Tour Departure Date) must be accompanied by an adult and share their accommodation with an adult. (b) Children under the age of 12 years are not encouraged (with the exception of Christmas tours and cruises) and are accepted or rejected at Our sole discretion"

I cannot imagine river cruising with a baby or toddler. The boats are not set up for that, though Uniworld and Avalon advertise a few family friendly cruises.

I would not to be in the cabin next to a family with an infant.

I agree with all the above posts and I personally would not appreciate a baby in the dining room. Even the best of babies do act up at times.

The fact that the river cruise lines most often discussed on this forum do not have provisions for infants should indicate to all that this type of travel is not suitable for babies. Maybe this 9 month old could stay with a relative while mom and dad cruise? If not, remember, he will grow up before you know it and then you can cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree, I personally don't feel like a river cruise would be a good fit for a family with a child. You're correct, most brochures and advertising show more mature, i.e. older travelers. Also, I'm not interested in having a young child or baby in the cabin next to me, in the lounge or the dining room. I don't want to appear to be anti-child, but most of us have already raised our children and aren't interested in traveling with children or babies. This is only my opinion.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Totally agree, I personally don't feel like a river cruise would be a good fit for a family with a child. You're correct, most brochures and advertising show more mature, i.e. older travelers. Also, I'm not interested in having a young child or baby in the cabin next to me, in the lounge or the dining room. I don't want to appear to be anti-child, but most of us have already raised our children and aren't interested in traveling with children or babies. This is only my opinion.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think it is probably the opinion of many others also.