There are no stupid questions? Well, this one might be.

debbs0723

We are staying at the Hyatt house on 18th street before our Thanksgiving cruise in Ft. Lauderdale. Trying to decide whether to hire a limo or SUV or just cab it from the hotel. I'm not getting roped into the shuttle ;)

My question is this? How much luggage will the average taxi hold? I'm guessing two taxis will hold 6 people and about 7-8 pcs of luggage? I think cabs are about $20 each to the cruise port. As much as my kids will love a limo I'm not sure that a 15 minute ride will be worth it.

Thanks,

Debbie

We are staying at the Hyatt house on 18th street before our Thanksgiving cruise in Ft. Lauderdale. Trying to decide whether to hire a limo or SUV or just cab it from the hotel. I'm not getting roped into the shuttle ;)

My question is this? How much luggage will the average taxi hold? I'm guessing two taxis will hold 6 people and about 7-8 pcs of luggage? I think cabs are about $20 each to the cruise port. As much as my kids will love a limo I'm not sure that a 15 minute ride will be worth it.

Thanks,

Debbie

Somewhat depends on the size of the luggage. As a guide, we traveled from the Embassy Suites to the port ($15 and around the corner from the Hyatt) and we had four carryon roller boards only (we travel light) and they fit in the trunk of the car plus 2 small backpacks.

We were in a typical size FORD sedan used for taxis

Edited by moakes
added info

I am paying 120 for a Mercedes Benz Springer, we are 7 adults all with luggage, we chose this type because it was what was available and want a private car service. We are staying at the Hilton Marina on 17th street causeway, I know as a fact that all the hotels will be packed with passengers trying to get cabs, so instead of having to wait for my turn to grab my cabs (we would need 2 cabs as they only carry nomore than 4 passengers in each car) we find its best to hire a private one, they get to our hotel right in the front, pick us up and we on our way.

I realize its a bit more money for this car service but this vehicle does hold 10 people but our worry was also our luggage fitting.

I am paying 120 for a Mercedes Benz Springer, we are 7 adults all with luggage, we chose this type because it was what was available and want a private car service. We are staying at the Hilton Marina on 17th street causeway, I know as a fact that all the hotels will be packed with passengers trying to get cabs, so instead of having to wait for my turn to grab my cabs (we would need 2 cabs as they only carry nomore than 4 passengers in each car) we find its best to hire a private one, they get to our hotel right in the front, pick us up and we on our way.

I realize its a bit more money for this car service but this vehicle does hold 10 people but our worry was also our luggage fitting.

We have 10 people as well, could you share the cost and Limo Company?

MAny thanks!

Thanks everybody. The minivan option to share would be nice. I think I will call the night before and see if I can have that pick us up. I'm even fine with the two taxis if necessary. I've got some quotes out for limo prices as well. Being that it is such a short ride, I would prefer not to pay for a limo if I don't have to. I wonder if you reserve a taxi ahead of time if someone will steal it :roll eyes:

Thanks again,

Debbie

Thanks everybody. The minivan option to share would be nice. I think I will call the night before and see if I can have that pick us up. I'm even fine with the two taxis if necessary. I've got some quotes out for limo prices as well. Being that it is such a short ride, I would prefer not to pay for a limo if I don't have to. I wonder if you reserve a taxi ahead of time if someone will steal it :roll eyes:

Thanks again,

Debbie

From experience, the minivans are usually Dodge caravan size. In January we were in a group of 8 (each couple had about 3 pcs of luggage plus a carry on) and it took two mini vans (with luggage on seats and laps) to get us to the terminal;)

We had 5 going from Embassy Suites last year. Went down about an hour before we were ready to leave and had them call a taxi large enough for us. Think we had 4 large bags along with 5 carryons no problem.

A taxi has a LARGE trunk! It will fit....cab drivers can get a couple dead bodies in there!

Our friend judges the size of a trunk by how many bodies you can carry. I have a Camry and he says the trunk is a 3 body trunk :eek: :D

Do you realize the cruise terminal is across the street from the Hilton? So basically you are paying $120 to be driven across the street?

For $75 I'll come pick you up in my husband's Escalade! :D

Do you realize the cruise terminal is across the street from the Hilton? So basically you are paying $120 to be driven across the street?

It is funny you say this because after reading these threads for a few years I'm surprised that cruise critic folks who live by a port haven't gotten in on this.

Debbie

I am in. Do we have to tip?:D:D

I got a rate of $130 round trip from John's car service including tip from our hotel to the cruise port then from the cruise port back to the airport for a suburban. I figure worst case scenario we have to hire two cabs each way. I looked up cab cost and they are about $15 to $20 each way plus tip. So we might be looking at about $80 in cab costs for the trip. Seems like that extra $50 might be worth the no hassle, and we have two families splitting that so $25 each. I may be way off on this though. It has happened before. :eek:

If I lived closer to the Galveston Port, I would totally start trying to make a little money on the side driving people to and from.

If you are truly not sure about the luggage thing I would do this. I'm sure all of these companies have websites and email addresses. You can email them the question about the luggage size and trunk size of their vehicles. Or you could just call them......

I did that yesterday. That is why I thought the suburban was a good solution. Cheaper than a limo as well. 15 min just isn't long enough for that. We might just decide to cab it as well. If it was just my family it would be cab.

Sent from my Iphone 7

To those who thought the cruise port was across the street...if you read the original post again you will see the OP is talking about the Hyatt House on 18th, not Hyatt Place on 10th which is near the port.

Hyatt House is about six miles from the port I believe.

To those who thought the cruise port was across the street...if you read the original post again you will see the OP is talking about the Hyatt House on 18th, not Hyatt Place on 10th which is near the port.

Hyatt House is about six miles from the port I believe.

Nope, go back and reread. I was replying to the poster staying at the Hilton Marina which is across the street from the port entrance.

It is funny you say this because after reading these threads for a few years I'm surprised that cruise critic folks who live by a port haven't gotten in on this.

Debbie

No way. I've read these boards to often and A. I'd end up with giant PIA cruisers, and you know exactly who I'm talking about and B. You have to be licensed and insured and get a business license.

No way. I've read these boards to often and A. I'd end up with giant PIA cruisers, and you know exactly who I'm talking about and B. You have to be licensed and insured and get a business license.

I really wish you would stop making so much sense.

Sent from my Iphone 7

• 2 weeks later...