Cut backs on Elite Breakfast (Coffee Break)

CruisingChick

Personally I believe that this is a Summit decision and reports from other ships do not support the waiters answer that it is like this on all ships.

We would always go for a light breakfast picking things that we like to eat not a decision by someone else saying this is what you get like it or not. It's not about quantity but about choice. I can't understand why people must always insult those who have an opinion about choice different from your likes and preferences.

It kind of depends on what's on the three tiers, doesn't it.

For those with allergies, it's either a) a real problem or b) more work for the staff to put together an acceptable plate, that is if you can find a waiter (remember that celebrity is trying to reduce staff). For those that want more salmon for their bagel (I use the term bagel loosely, but I digress), they have to find a waiter (again, those folks that we see less of these days)...and so on. With limited staff, buffets work far better...so this is a mysterious change, if it is actually something that's rolling out.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd read into this rumored change that it's more like a nice high end hotel but perhaps I've been staying in the wrong 5 star hotels for the past many years.

I have been staying in the wrong hotels as well. To say this cutback is more

like staying in a high end hotel is beyond belief

It kind of depends on what's on the three tiers, doesn't it.

For those with allergies, it's either a) a real problem or b) more work for the staff to put together an acceptable plate, that is if you can find a waiter (remember that celebrity is trying to reduce staff). For those that want more salmon for their bagel (I use the term bagel loosely, but I digress), they have to find a waiter (again, those folks that we see less of these days)...and so on. With limited staff, buffets work far better...so this is a mysterious change, if it is actually something that's rolling out.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd read into this rumored change that it's more like a nice high end hotel but perhaps I've been staying in the wrong 5 star hotels for the past many years.

Not really, in all honesty how much do your require for breakfast that you can not get in another area of the ship. This thread just shows some people just like to complain and hate the slightest bit of change

Not really, in all honesty how much do your require for breakfast that you can not get in another area of the ship. This thread just shows some people just like to complain and hate the slightest bit of change

And some people refuse to recognize that major changes are taking place.

It has nothing to do about the quantity of food. Of course there is a lot of choice but the ability to choose what you want in the quantities one wants seems to be changing.

The ones who attack the ones reporting the change are shooting the messengers.

This is what we enjoyed on Eclipse this past January.

photo1_zpsb29f31a3.jpg

And Century

IMG_1212_zpsaf4f5642.jpg

And this is what I associated with the elite breakfast, until the Summit repo. when this disappeared. I could not believe my eyes when I walked into Normandy and saw no buffet, just little tiered trays on tables. This is something I hope was on Summit only and only on the repo. If this spreads to other ships, just do away with it entirely. It was sad to see this.

And this is what I associated with the elite breakfast, until the Summit repo. when this disappeared. I could not believe my eyes when I walked into Normandy and saw no buffet, just little tiered trays on tables. This is something I hope was on Summit only and only on the repo. If this spreads to other ships, just do away with it entirely. It was sad to see this.

Sorry to hear this Anne.

Anne, thanks for posting. Didn't realize you were also on this cruise.

I am disappointed to say the least. But if this is how Celebrity wants to treat it's Elite and Elite+ members I'm not sure what the future holds.

Can't see how serving me things - that I won't eat - on a 3 tiered tray at my table is going to save money. I feel they just want to drive us away.

I'd rather them stop serving the mimosas, bloody marys, belinis at breakfast and keep the nice buffet and smoothies, etc. But that's just me.

Can't see how serving me things - that I won't eat - on a 3 tiered tray at my table is going to save money.

I have a dairy sensitivity, so would probably leave 3/4 of the food on a 3 tiered plate. So I loved the choice of fresh fruit and salmon.

I just wonder if it was a way to get around a Noro Virus outbreak.

It does sound more like Engligh afternoon tea rather than a breakfast.

I'm more of a grab and go breakfast person but liked to go along for the nice coffee and would just help myself to some smoked salmon and fruit. If I have to go through the kerfuffle of being served from a tiered tray I just won't bother.

Now, if only they would make a decent coffee machine available to Elites as they do in the Diamond/Concierge lounges on RC!

Now, if only they would make a decent coffee machine available to Elites as they do in the Diamond/Concierge lounges on RC!

A reason to strive to become elite + where you can get good coffee and tea at cafe bacio all day gratis.

You do know that you can order good coffee at the elite breakfast....that's actually why we used to go there after breakfast in Blu. Now, not necessary any more.

This is what we enjoyed on Eclipse this past January.

photo1_zpsb29f31a3.jpg

And Century

IMG_1212_zpsaf4f5642.jpg

I just wonder if it was a way to get around a Noro Virus outbreak.

There is a thought as the picture shows all the serving pieces laying on the food after being handled, and not knowing if the previous person washed their hands before departing the restroom.

There is a thought as the picture shows all the serving pieces laying on the food after being handled, and not knowing if the previous person washed their hands before departing the restroom.

An Elite or higher member not wash their hands???

blogger-image--1472202009.jpg

Did I read somewhere that the health code requires a place to put serving pieces down in buffets? We are very wary of buffets anyway...but this one looks familiar...and as I think about it, perhaps it's not meeting the required health standards. The following from the South Carolina health code (just picked randomly..it showed up first on google):

Dispensing Utensils

CURFFL Section 114080(b)(2)© requires that food displayed in self-service containers be provided with a utensil which has a handle sufficient to dispense the food item.

Each service container must be provided with at least one appropriately sized serving utensil for use exclusively with that container. The utensil must be of sufficient size and design to prevent it falling into or out of the container when not in use. The self-service utensils must be changed, cleaned and sanitized as regularly as necessary.

Then there's the question of the missing "sneeze guard"

Perhaps this is why celebrity seems to be moving to individual platters from a buffet.

Edited by ghstudio

That is an excellent observation and I noticed it happened last week on the Eclipse, too. I'm used to it in the buffet but I would hope people who have cruised enough to be Elite would also have enough sense to handle the serving pieces properly. But then I am a dreamer. I always try to take food from the far side of the server in hopes that some idiot didn't place a serving handle that far back. Celebrity has more than its share of low lifes. (There, I said it and I'm glad!)

Hmm; on Millennium through April the ship was on code red lockdown and as a consequence the Elite breakfast was served to us. Service was from a buffet laid out in a U shape to a table across the ends of the U. All the normal items were available. Quite frankly, I wish this was the way it was done on all ships, no worries on hygiene at all.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

I like the new concept, similar to a nice higher end hotel. How much more can one eat for breakfast than on three tiers! As for cut backs, try Princess, after last weeks cruise on the Crown I would never stray from Celebrity again. One of my worse cruises of over 85 cruises

Sorry, but I stay in " high end" hotels for over 2000 days a year.

Not one of them gives a concept like being introduced by X.

This is ANOTHER cost cutting, perk removing corporate decision by the absolute idiots ruling the Miami office at the moment.

We specifically went to the Elite breakfast for the quiet, continental buffet.

Coffee and mimosa you cam have anywhere on the ship.

The small buffet though was the attraction.

More reason for me and. A LOT of other Belgian Elites to find alternative lines until Celebrity gets his senses back and a competent CEO and corporate management takes over.

That is an excellent observation and I noticed it happened last week on the Eclipse, too. I'm used to it in the buffet but I would hope people who have cruised enough to be Elite would also have enough sense to handle the serving pieces properly. But then I am a dreamer. I always try to take food from the far side of the server in hopes that some idiot didn't place a serving handle that far back. Celebrity has more than its share of low lifes. (There, I said it and I'm glad!)

I would hope than any old enough to cruise on their own would have the common sense but everytime I go to a buffet or any other eating establishment I see disgusting habits. At least at the Elite breakfast I can use my own utensil to get my food and of course take from the back

Sorry, but I stay in " high end" hotels for over 2000 days a year.

Not one of them gives a concept like being introduced by X.

This is ANOTHER cost cutting, perk removing corporate decision by the absolute idiots ruling the Miami office at the moment.

We specifically went to the Elite breakfast for the quiet, continental buffet.

Coffee and mimosa you cam have anywhere on the ship.

The small buffet though was the attraction.

More reason for me and. A LOT of other Belgian Elites to find alternative lines until Celebrity gets his senses back and a competent CEO and corporate management takes over.

So one would believe that Miami is going to listen to the 98%+ that continue to sail, and make adjustments based on their comments, and not the few that don't.

A reason to strive to become elite + where you can get good coffee and tea at cafe bacio all day gratis.

You do know that you can order good coffee at the elite breakfast....that's actually why we used to go there after breakfast in Blu. Now, not necessary any more.

We did the same

On our last cruise on Millie we would eat in Blu and then attend the Elite breakfast and enjoy an Americano and the DW would have a Cafe Moca.

But can one now order good coffee as an Elite in Blu gratis with the changes they made to the Elite perks or do you have to go to Cafe Bacio yourself?

Either way we would not bother with the Elite breakfast anymore.

We have friends sailing her on the 10th who are in Aqua I will ask what is being done on Millie.

We did the same

On our last cruise on Millie we would eat in Blu and then attend the Elite breakfast and enjoy an Americano and the DW would have a Cafe Moca.

But can one now order good coffee as an Elite in Blu gratis with the changes they made to the Elite perks or do you have to go to Cafe Bacio yourself?

Either way we would not bother with the Elite breakfast anymore.

We have friends sailing her on the 10th who are in Aqua I will ask what is being done on Millie.

that "perk" is for elite plus/zenith only. If you are elite, you still have to go to the elite breakfast for "free" good coffee.

that "perk" is for elite plus/zenith only. If you are elite, you still have to go to the elite breakfast for "free" good coffee.

We are Elite+, if we are dining in Bistro on 5 can we use the perk there as we usually order cappuccinos after our lunch with our dessert.

Thanks.

We are Elite+, if we are dining in Bistro on 5 can we use the perk there as we usually order cappuccinos after our lunch with our dessert.

Thanks.

As far as I know, you can use that perk by just showing your sea pass card (no coupon required) anywhere that they serve specialty coffees or teas. We used it in Cafe bacio and blu...never tried it in the bistro on 5, but it should work.

As far as I know, you can use that perk by just showing your sea pass card (no coupon required) anywhere that they serve specialty coffees or teas. We used it in Cafe bacio and blu...never tried it in the bistro on 5, but it should work.

Thank you. 17 days until we are on Summit (again). First cruise as Elite+ as we jumped cruise lines on our last sailing and tried RCL's Explorer of the Seas.