norwegian = worst customer service department ever

accmiller

This is really something, lol, can't quite find the right words! Im a huge NCL fan but c'mon! I do not know how anyone can state that it is okay that the NCL rep didn't know the details of the deck plan but that someone with a life who happened to want to take a cruise was negligent for not knowing same! The OP is positively in the right here.

And as an aside, for those of you who thought you "caught" him because he didn't know the room numbers, consider this ..... on our last cruise, even on day 9 when we arrived at Cagneys for breakfast (and the spa daily for a total of 3 times per day not including living in the room for those 9 days) my husband would look at me for our suite number when asked. He didn't know it, still doesn't know it, and more than likely wouldn't know for sure if we were on the Gem, the Jewel, the Dawn, etc. this last time.

I wasn't going to repond as I did mention it is not my situation to argue. However being you posted it twice that you are confused with my post of room numbers not being together. As staed in that post I was referring to someone that had posted their situation in one of their posts about this. Not about the This OP. However now that the OP has posted his room numbers I personally would have looked into the room numbers and locations if it was me as they are far off.

I actually did pull it up tat the time hinking the same thing. I just saw the two rooms across from each other and didn't think anything else about it. I had no idea that the interior rooms doors would face in and not out. I sure do now. I would think that a lot of people would like to book that way.

The Getaway is a great ship but is seems like they have a very convoluted floor plan trying to maximize every square inch of the boat. From the cabin layouts to the pool layout it is crazy the maze you have to take to get everywhere.

I actually did pull it up tat the time hinking the same thing. I just saw the two rooms across from each other and didn't think anything else about it. I had no idea that the interior rooms doors would face in and not out. I sure do now. I would think that a lot of people would like to book that way.

The Getaway is a great ship but is seems like they have a very convoluted floor plan trying to maximize every square inch of the boat. From the cabin layouts to the pool layout it is crazy the maze you have to take to get everywhere.

FYI - I've not been on Breakaway or Getaway and don't know if I ever will be, but I don't think the ships before Epic have inside cabins with a separate corridor. I think they open toward the outside/balcony cabins. To me, by having that "extra" corridor, they lose room that they could have added to cabins.

I don't think the OP is at fault - when you use a TA, you assume they know what they are doing. Maybe the PCC didn't realize the door opened in the other hallway (I was on the BA, and I couldn't figure out these new interior rooms until I was onboard).

We have a large family, and have had many similar situations, asking for connecting rooms at hotels, and not getting them. We usually just split into boy/girl rooms. I do think the OP could've made better use of the interior. I know my family would have used it for showers, or for the teen to nap, or even to split up to sleep. It wouldn't have been a waste, but it wouldn't have been as nice as being right across the hall. That said, I'm not overprotective, but I would not let kids those ages sleep across the hall anyway (I'd be okay with 2 teens).

I think the OP is due something (but not the charge of the extra room). I assume he is not from the US, which is why he had to pay cancellation fees that we don't have to pay here. However, since there is no proof that he was told the doorway was across the hall (even though I believe he was told that), I doubt NCL will do anything now.

You have to love message boards. Somebody comes on here with an issue and rants and raves and when they don't hear what they want to they get an attitude. Then you have posters who jump to their defense based only on the OP's word and posters who jump to the other side and crush the OP without hearing the other side.

This message board has become like a gold mine.....you find some good nuggets of into now and then....but....you have to dig through so much crap it is sometimes not worth the effort to find it.:eek:

You have to love message boards. Somebody comes on here with an issue and rants and raves and when they don't hear what they want to they get an attitude. Then you have posters who jump to their defense based only on the OP's word and posters who jump to the other side and crush the OP without hearing the other side.

This message board has become like a gold mine.....you find some good nuggets of into now and then....but....you have to dig through so much crap it is sometimes not worth the effort to find it.:eek:

At least you are abundantly aware that the inside cabins aren't across the hall from the balcony cabins.

At least you are abundantly aware that the inside cabins aren't across the hall from the balcony cabins.

I am not taking either side....I am just laughing at how worked up folks (on both sides) get. After close to 200 in this thread posts I am pretty sure at this point some folks are just arguing for the sake of arguing.:rolleyes:

Edited by TruckerDave

I thought we were talking about the mini suites not balconies?? Did something change??

mini-suites I guess, I didn't look at the balcony rooms but I would assume the inside cabins across from them would have inside corridor access as well.

Although I feel you should have checked It is NO WAY your fault

I wouldn't have understood what the inside corridor meant unless I asked

The person you spoke to should have realized what your intention was and common sense should have prevailed and they should have offered you an alternative.

I still don't understand why you had to pay a cancellation fee

The whole situation just sucks

I have been reading this post and still do not quite understand what the issue is.

You had a mini-suite but were advised to go with a balcony and an inside room that was across the hall from the balcony room. The fact that the door to the inside room was not across from the balcony room was an issue which you were not aware of. You had requested a connecting cabin. It was your decision to say yes or no. To me many times in the travel industry, especially now, (TA, airlines, tours, hotels, car rentals) you really can't count on the person taking your money being knowledgeable. It really is buyer beware just like anything else.

The OP said this was their FIRST cruise. Until you have been on a ship and wandered around the halls it would be difficult to read deck plans and get a good 3D picture in your head. It takes a cruise or two to learn you want to study the deck plans and pick your room carefully. Look at what's on the deck above (no pool deck), and below, how close to elevators.

I want to thank the OP for making me aware of this, it is a surprising and undesirable configuration. Especially considering the route between the two rooms he was assigned.

PCC = Personal Cruise Consultant.

Consultant = "a person who provides expert advice professionally"

IMO the NCL PCC dropped the ball failing to provide 2 cabins within a short walk of each other for a family of 4. What seems like a very very common request, cabins near each other.

Although I feel you should have checked It is NO WAY your fault

I wouldn't have understood what the inside corridor meant unless I asked

The person you spoke to should have realized what your intention was and common sense should have prevailed and they should have offered you an alternative.

I still don't understand why you had to pay a cancellation fee

The whole situation just sucks

Yeah I agree. It just makes the whole situation so much more frustrating that I can't even get a live body with authority to say anything on the phone.

I just want to get this behind me one way or another.

Was your post a nugget or the other stuff you mentioned?

The only part of the issue that I understand is their inability to do anything once on board. Unlike airplanes, hotels and cruise ships don't move other customers to accommodate someone. So if the ship was sold out, there was nothing they *could* do.

Not correct. There have been several posts on this board over the years where families with and without notice get separated after booking. Their connecting room or side by side rooms turn into down the hall rooms.

OP, I find this your fault. If you have a 6 year old, how did you think an across the hall room would be OK?! My independent kids weren't comfortable with that until the youngest was 10 years old or so. Regardless of where the door is located. I think you errored when you allowed yourself to get talked into an across the hall sort of arrangement.

If this was my family, it wouldn't have ruined our cruise. My husband and I would have split up and everyone would have had a comfortable bed.

Yeah I agree. It just makes the whole situation so much more frustrating that I can't even get a live body with authority to say anything on the phone.

I just want to get this behind me one way or another.

There is one part of this story that is either missing, or I just missed it. :o

I'm trying to put myself in your shoes...My PCC tells me that I am getting two rooms where the doors are directly across the hall from one another. Trusting his word, I accept this at face value.

I get to the ship and learn that the PCC's information was incorrect, and the doors are actually in seperate hallways. Assuming that nothing could be done onboard...

The FIRST thing I do when I get home is to call my PCC and tell them that the their information about the relative location of the two cabin doors was TOTALLY INCORRECT!

Now, I would expect one of two reactions from the PCC:

(1) They say "Oh my, I apologize. I totally messed up. I'm very sorry, I had the wrong information, let me see if there is something that I can do to fix this" Or something along that line.

- - - OR - - -

(2) They say "What are you talking about? I'm sorry that is what you thought, but I NEVER told you that."

Did you call your PCC and let them know...and ask why they misinformed you? If so, what did they say? (Hopefully the call will serve to educate them for future situations). If not, why not? I certainly think the first person you contact should be the source of the bad information.

I know that my PCC documents everything we discuss...I'd assume that yours did as well. Getting that documentation of what you were told by the PCC will go a long way toward getting the resolution that you desire.

Try the guest relation team @ 1-866-625-1164

And start your call with something in the way of..... We had a terrible situation occur on your ship and think you need to be made aware of it

Or

I am terribly upset may I take 5 minutes of your time and explain the situation

Or

I hope you can help me with this unfortunate situation

I am sure you get my drift. Use sugar versus vinegar. And state the issue very rationally and don't get ruffled.

They may well try to bully you but always remember a bully will back off and give in as soon as they see you can and will stand up to them in an intelligent manner. Lol

I'm trying to put myself in your shoes...My PCC tells me that I am getting two rooms where the doors are directly across the hall from one another. Trusting his word, I accept this at face value.

I get to the ship and learn that the PCC's information was incorrect, and the doors are actually in seperate hallways. Assuming that nothing could be done onboard...

The FIRST thing I do when I get home is to call my PCC and tell them that the their information about the relative location of the two cabin doors was TOTALLY INCORRECT!

(1) They say "Oh my, I apologize. I totally messed up. I'm very sorry, I had the wrong information, let me see if there is something that I can do to fix this" Or something along that line.

- - - OR - - -

(2) They say "What are you talking about? I'm sorry that is what you thought, but I NEVER told you that."

Did you call your PCC and let them know...and ask why they misinformed you? If so, what did they say? (Hopefully the call will serve to educate them for future situations). If not, why not? I certainly think the first person you contact should be the source of the bad information.

I know that my PCC documents everything we discuss...I'd assume that yours did as well. Getting that documentation of what you were told by the PCC will go a long way toward getting the resolution that you desire.

Do we know for a fact that the person he spoke to was a PCC or was it just one of the 1 800 operators?

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

Do we know for a fact that the person he spoke to was a PCC or was it just one of the 1 800 operators?

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

Doesn't matter they are both PCCs. Some work Inbound and others work Outbound. Even if they call an Inbound, the name of the person with whom they spoke will be indicated in the records...they can easily be transferred.

Not correct. There have been several posts on this board over the years where families with and without notice get separated after booking. Their connecting room or side by side rooms turn into down the hall rooms.

OP, I find this your fault. If you have a 6 year old, how did you think an across the hall room would be OK?! My independent kids weren't comfortable with that until the youngest was 10 years old or so. Regardless of where the door is located. I think you errored when you allowed yourself to get talked into an across the hall sort of arrangement.

If this was my family, it wouldn't have ruined our cruise. My husband and I would have split up and everyone would have had a comfortable bed.

"without notice families get separated after booking"

So this is common and you have no issue with it? Kind of proves my point about the level of service on NCL.

I obviously errored in allowing myself to get talked into it. We wanted one thing and got something the complete opposite.

- - - OR - - -

Apparently he was on vacation when we got back. I sent him an email and didn't hear back from him for another week. When I did he told me he was on vacation the past week. Very understandable. He said he would contact the proper people. I waited another week and contacted him again. His only reply "They haven't called you yet?" I replied no and I am getting very frustrated. Nothing since. I am assuming since he screwed up that he wasn't very excited about reporting the problem. Last week I finally found the customer service online issue webpage where I was able to write up my complaint. That was Thursday. Still haven't heard anything.

Apparently he was on vacation when we got back. I sent him an email and didn't hear back from him for another week. When I did he told me he was on vacation the past week. Very understandable. He said he would contact the proper people. I waited another week and contacted him again. His only reply "They haven't called you yet?" I replied no and I am getting very frustrated. Nothing since. I am assuming since he screwed up that he wasn't very excited about reporting the problem. Last week I finally found the customer service online issue webpage where I was able to write up my complaint. That was Thursday. Still haven't heard anything.

Did you ever email to the social media email? They've been very quick to respond in the past. It was suggested very early on this thread.