Would you pay for a deck chair?

Airlines are boosting their bottom lines by charging extra for all kinds of things, including the best seats in coach class. So, would you be willing to pay a little extra to rent a deck chair in a prime poolside location? (Maybe by the day or the week, extra for sea days.) These chairs would be immune from chair hogs, unless they were willing to pay for them. And just to make things equal, I'm declaring that the chairs would be sold on a first come, first served basis to anyone willing to pay: no special consideration for Diamond or Diamond+.

I know the logistics would make this whole scenario impossible, I'm just playing "what-if". How important is that chair to you? How important is it to you to stick it to the chair hogs?

Airlines are boosting their bottom lines by charging extra for all kinds of things, including the best seats in coach class. So, would you be willing to pay a little extra to rent a deck chair in a prime poolside location? (Maybe by the day or the week, extra for sea days.) These chairs would be immune from chair hogs, unless they were willing to pay for them. And just to make things equal, I'm declaring that the chairs would be sold on a first come, first served basis to anyone willing to pay: no special consideration for Diamond or Diamond+.

I know the logistics would make this whole scenario impossible, I'm just playing "what-if". How important is that chair to you? How important is it to you to stick it to the chair hogs?

They are already trialing to rent cabanas on one of the ships (escapes me at the Moment which one it was) and People seem to be happily paying for it, according to the reports on here.

Please...PLEASE don't give them any ideas! :)

Actually I do "pay for a chair," It's called a "balcony." :)

Not enough of a sun fan to do it. I'd rather sit on my balcony and read or relax. I go to the pool deck and swim a bit, but don't sit up there much, too many people.

But that's just me.

No, I would not and I would be very upset if Royal started any type of "for fee" on the pool deck.

Princess has an adult area "The Sanctuary" with cabanas and loungers. You pay daily or by the week and it is not cheap. You do get a reserved lounger as well as a lot of other extras and service. I don't agree with it at all as it takes public deck space away from those who have paid to cruise also.

Took my first.cruise in 72. The deck chairs were $3.75 for the week. You picked it out as you came on board and they put your name on it. I would pay for a chair on a Caribbean cruise depending on the price.

Another way would be to assign chair by cabin. There could even be a secondary market. Cruisers who don't want their assigned chair could e- bay it to people who do. People who want to sit near the pool would have to upgrade their cabin. Or you could pay for a suite by selling your chair to maybe an inside cabin whose chair was located on the top deck.

But seriously they should rent the chairs near the pool and then let all the other chairs be free. I would pay 10 dollars a day for a chair but no more.

Not a new thing. My grandmother always had to pay for a deck chair when she "booked passage for a voyage" back in the fifties.

Now, on Princess you are paying for a chair when you book The Sanctuary.

LuLu

Fortunately I live in florida. When I go to a cruise the last thing I care is the pool/ chair. I get one pool at home and plenty of chairs lol

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Please...PLEASE don't give them any ideas! :)

Actually I do "pay for a chair," It's called a "balcony." :)

Not enough of a sun fan to do it. I'd rather sit on my balcony and read or relax. I go to the pool deck and swim a bit, but don't sit up there much, too many people.

But that's just me.

I agree with you 100%. At the rate its going nothing will be free any longer on a cruise. They will start charging for chairs, shows, and anything else they can possibly come up with.:eek:

I don't WANT to be too near the pool...its really crowded, you can't spread the loungers apart, and it's noisy!

Better to be up a deck, where you can get a bit of separation from your "neighbors", and, you get a nice breeze, if you're near the railing....on a sunny day, a breeze is a must!

Nope. We always sit in the shade. But, even if I wanted full sun, I wouldn't. Even when we're in a full suite and have access to the reserved seating area we don't use it (and by being in a suite, we've certainly paid for it).

Yup, if I could rent a cabana for the duration of the trip. I think that $25 to $50 per day for a two person cabana would be reasonable.

You do realize that they are doing a trial on Freedom with "cabanas" (really the clamshells) and charging $200-300/day right? Your dream of $25-$50 won't happen.

No, I wouldn't pay for a lounger by the pool and would be quite upset if they decided to do this. I would prefer that they just up the cruise fair a little to get more revenue.

I´d rather have them Charge for pool chairs than upping the cruise fare.

Nothing new, I reserved chairs by the week on my first cruise on the Home Lines "Oceanic." This ship later became one of Disney's Big Red Boats.

Does this bring back memories? A picture of Home Lines Oceanic pool deck in 1973. Notice how there were no lounge chairs by the pool. There were a few regular chairs, and they had mats on the deck, but I can't remember if you had to pay for those. We were young and just sat at the edge of the pool or on a towel on the deck.

941436e1-c0fc-46f8-a8c0-535957a6e647.jpg

Pay extra not only for the cabin, but also get preferred seating poolside. So, the $$$ upcharge is alredy here.

Not quite. They're not "poolside". They're actually usually up a deck and in the sun. Not a prime location by a long shot.

You do realize that they are doing a trial on Freedom with "cabanas" (really the clamshells) and charging $200-300/day right? Your dream of $25-$50 won't happen.

$200 to $300 per day? For a clamshell? Wow. I can get a cabana in Labadee for $250 with service and a upgraded lunch (barefoot beach). I'm not tight with my money, always sail in a Jr. Suite or better but I wouldn't spend that for a clamshell.

How about the pool patrol just do their job and stop the chair hogs.

People would stop putting their stuff on a chair to reserve it if they had to go somewhere to get it each time they finally decided to make an appearance. Might work even better if that person had to walk clear to customer service to get their stuff. Towels could just be put in the laundry, but imagine if you had to walk and stand in line at customer service to get your book or sunglasses....The library would have lots of new books for the upcoming cruise I would think.