People who have been to Rome

txflood33

If Celebrity is providing the transportation to/from their hotel, it is likely you will go by bus. That is such a huge waste of time. You have to wait until all the luggage gets loaded, all the people get themselves aboard blah blah blah

If you can arrange it, make better use of your time and book your own hotel and transporation.

If Celebrity is providing the transportation to/from their hotel, it is likely you will go by bus. That is such a huge waste of time. You have to wait until all the luggage gets loaded, all the people get themselves aboard blah blah blah

If you can arrange it, make better use of your time and book your own hotel and transporation.

When you say 'bus', do you mean small bus we Americans get shuttled to the hotel in the US with a couple of luggage shelves inside or big tour group style bus with luggage loaded underneath? Because I could see a considerable time difference in those scenarios.

I am considering swapping hotels for something more in the touristy area. I can do that through the cruise....I checked prices on the hotel's site and they were comparable to Celebrity's price, so I would probably do it out of convenience. I can also book it without the fee for the ride to the hotel.

FCO to touristy area hotel....cab?(appox time and money?)local bus? private hired car? hotel offers a shuttle with the room similar to the US?

When you say 'bus', do you mean small bus we Americans get shuttled to the hotel in the US with a couple of luggage shelves inside or big tour group style bus with luggage loaded underneath? Because I could see a considerable time difference in those scenarios.

I am considering swapping hotels for something more in the touristy area. I can do that through the cruise....I checked prices on the hotel's site and they were comparable to Celebrity's price, so I would probably do it out of convenience. I can also book it without the fee for the ride to the hotel.

FCO to touristy area hotel....cab?(appox time and money?)local bus? private hired car? hotel offers a shuttle with the room similar to the US?

More than likely a large ~60 passenger motor coach. You can take the Leonardo Express train from FCO to walking distance from many hotels for about $15 each.

I'm inclined to differ- much of the impact of the Colisseum can be gained from a drive by while en route from airport to hotel - just ask your driver to circle it. The inside is essentially ruins and offers little to augment the experience of seeing it from the outside. After dropping your bags at your hotel, you should go to the Vatican - you will not have time for the tour of the museum and the Sistine Chapel, but St. Peter's Basilica should be seen from the inside - and will take no more time than trying to get into the Colisseum.

Then, in the evening, you should take a taxi to the Trevi Fountain - which is best seen after dark - you can grab a reasonably priced supper at one of the many restaurants in the area, then take a ten minute walk to the Spanish Steps - also beautiful at night.

I feel that this is excellent advise.

Rome has a fixed fare option for cab rides from the airport. From FCO to a hotel within the walls, which is the area you are describing, is 48 Euro inclusive of all fees.

I think she means bus ( or coach as Brits say) which could hold 40 people or more and probably goes to several hotels. That would also be true of a hotel shuttles, they may hold a few less people but they usually go to more than one hotel so it is time consuming, not only the shuttle ride, but waiting for the shuttle.

I feel that this is excellent advise.

Just to drive by and not go in?

We saw Julius Caesar's ashes at the forum, arch of Titus, and a bunch of others things up close with the coliseum tour. Granted, I was not as enthralled as hubby, but anyone who likes ruins and the history behind them eat that up.

Hey, I cna't say I was all that impressed with Pompeii either, I was just as happy with what I saw of it on Rick Steve's travel video but hubby hate that up big time.

I think the OP has to decide that if it is worth it to him or not.

So I thinks the decision is official, that we will be changing hotels and just getting a cab to the hotel to save time and headache. From what I have seen/read(some here) these are popular hotel choices...

Empire Palace Hotel

Cicerone

Majestic

Hotel Sofitel

anyone stayed at any of these? thoughts? too far? too close to shenanigans?

I still need to contact Celebrity to make the changes, but from what I have read, it looks like their transportation to the pier is a big coach bus and departs from the Crown Plaza...so I would still need to make it down there in a timely fashion. It's $92 pp for the ride...each way. It looks like it's an hour or so drive. Anyone use a different means to get to the pier from Rome...cab seems pricey for a one way hour ride.

Just to drive by and not go in?

We saw Julius Caesar's ashes at the forum, arch of Titus, and a bunch of others things up close with the coliseum tour. Granted, I was not as enthralled as hubby, but anyone who likes ruins and the history behind them eat that up.

Hey, I cna't say I was all that impressed with Pompeii either, I was just as happy with what I saw of it on Rick Steve's travel video but hubby hate that up big time.

I think the OP has to decide that if it is worth it to him or not.

yes...please keep the info coming...I am sorting out what sounds like a larger chunk of time should be invested. However, there are things on the list that just seem like you have to see...at least 'see'...so I may pass on some tours just to see some of the city due to the limited time. I would rather see the Vatican, the Colosseum and the fountain and the Spanish steps rather than tour the Colosseum and see the fountain.

Not to mention, you guys have tossed out a lot more to see than I thought about :D

So I thinks the decision is official, that we will be changing hotels and just getting a cab to the hotel to save time and headache. From what I have seen/read(some here) these are popular hotel choices...

Empire Palace Hotel

Cicerone

Majestic

Hotel Sofitel

anyone stayed at any of these? thoughts? too far? too close to shenanigans?

I still need to contact Celebrity to make the changes, but from what I have read, it looks like their transportation to the pier is a big coach bus and departs from the Crown Plaza...so I would still need to make it down there in a timely fashion. It's $92 pp for the ride...each way. It looks like it's an hour or so drive. Anyone use a different means to get to the pier from Rome...cab seems pricey for a one way hour ride.

We are looking forward to our third T/A from Rome - and for the third time we will be sharing a van for the transfer to the port with others on our cruise for less than $40 per person in a six or eight person van. If you talk up the idea on your cruise's roll call you are certain to find others interested. It is a more comfortable, less expensive, quicker way to go. Romeinlimo dot com offers good service and pricing among many others.

You might also connect with others on your flight for van transfer FCO to Rome - or just give yourself a treat and hire your own taxi. To save money, you could take the Leonardo Express from FCO to Termini station - this would really make sense if you were staying at a hotel in the Termini area, there are many within a couple minutes walk. We like that area because it is where the two metro lines cross, making getting around the city quick, cheap and easy. We have stayed at Mediterraneo and at Nord Nuova - not very cheap, but very comfortable and convenient - with good breakfasts included. You can check out hotels in the area by going on line.

I'm not sure if you have found the Italy forum here on Cruise Critic, but there is a ton of information on private transfers from Rome to the port (the official shuttle is not really a great idea if there are two or more of you and if you also have to pay additional $$ to get to where the shuttle is leaving from.)

Also lots of good info on hotels that are located IN the center. I've been to Rome numerous times and the most central area for sightseeing by far is the area around the Pantheon/Piazza Navona/Campo di Fiori. When you are looking at hotels, be sure to actually map their location, as they will commonly advertise being "only steps from Trevi Fountain" without saying exactly how many steps.....:rolleyes:

The train is a great budget choice for getting to the port from Rome, however, you have to travel light enough to handle your own luggage and be willing to walk a bit (5-6 blocks) to the port entrance once you get off the train. If you are interested in this, again there is lots of info on the Italy forum. If you want to go this route, you might consider looking for a hotel nearer to Termini, the main train station in Rome.

Italy forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Okay, I asked hubby, the ruins lover about just taking a taxi and driving by the coliseum. This is what he suggested, if your time is limited, do the taxi drive, but have him stop at the forum, which is not as crowded, and walk it and go see the Arch of Titus which is in the forum area.

yes...please keep the info coming...I am sorting out what sounds like a larger chunk of time should be invested. However, there are things on the list that just seem like you have to see...at least 'see'...so I may pass on some tours just to see some of the city due to the limited time. I would rather see the Vatican, the Colosseum and the fountain and the Spanish steps rather than tour the Colosseum and see the fountain.

Not to mention, you guys have tossed out a lot more to see than I thought about :D

I did, in the above post I added hubby's input. I would think you could easily do the drive by coliseum but stop at the forum if that interests you. Then have your taxi take you to Trevi fountain too.

Perhaps you can arrange a taxi/car service and price ahead of time. I know we did that for Barcelona. We arranged for our driver to pick us up from the airport, take us to the hotel, the next morning to the cruise ship and then he picked us up when we disembarked and gave us a tour of Barcelona that day ending with our hotel near the airport,(first hotel was near cruise ship). we did take a shuttle to airport next morning but he quoted us one blanket price, although we paid part of it the first leg of the trip.

Now since Rome is further from the port, you may still prefer a train to port from your hotel cost wise. However, I am sure you can arrange pickup at airport and a mini tour of Rome the afternoon you land in Rome.

Hotel has been changed to the Empire Palace and the transportation from the airport to the hotel has been dropped. Based on what I have read here, I think that will save us some time and we will be able to see more things.

man...planning a vacation is exhausting

I'm not sure if you have found the Italy forum here on Cruise Critic, but there is a ton of information on private transfers from Rome to the port (the official shuttle is not really a great idea if there are two or more of you and if you also have to pay additional $$ to get to where the shuttle is leaving from.)

Also lots of good info on hotels that are located IN the center. I've been to Rome numerous times and the most central area for sightseeing by far is the area around the Pantheon/Piazza Navona/Campo di Fiori. When you are looking at hotels, be sure to actually map their location, as they will commonly advertise being "only steps from Trevi Fountain" without saying exactly how many steps.....:rolleyes:

The train is a great budget choice for getting to the port from Rome, however, you have to travel light enough to handle your own luggage and be willing to walk a bit (5-6 blocks) to the port entrance once you get off the train. If you are interested in this, again there is lots of info on the Italy forum. If you want to go this route, you might consider looking for a hotel nearer to Termini, the main train station in Rome.

Italy forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Yes, great info at ports of call. That is how hubby found our car service whom picked picked us up at airport and ship after cruise and gave us our tour.

Don't forget that when visiting St. Peters or the Vatican that your shoulders must be covered, and your shorts/skirt be knee length or longer.

We were turned away at St. Peters after going through a long security line because one of the teenagers was wearing a tank top. We saw both genders turned away. Sure wish the guys waaaaay back in security had said something! Put a lightweight scarf in your bag and tie it around your shoulders.

Also, I've mentioned this in another thread. The pickpockets in Rome are professionals. We saw groups of teenagers coordinated as they worked through the crowd flowing through St. Peters Square. We didn't SEE their hands inside bags, but they were being directed by an older teen on the stairs, and tourists came out with their backpacks and bags gaping open.

Several cruise passengers were picked at the Coliseum and even inside the Vatican. Put all but a few euros inside your clothing and use zip ties or luggage locks or safety pins on all the zippers.

You may think you'd feel someone... but the crowd bumps, nudges and shuffles. Trust me on this!

Don't forget that when visiting St. Peters or the Vatican that your shoulders must be covered, and your shorts/skirt be knee length or longer.

We were turned away at St. Peters after going through a long security line because one of the teenagers was wearing a tank top. We saw both genders turned away. Sure wish the guys waaaaay back in security had said something! Put a lightweight scarf in your bag and tie it around your shoulders.

Also, I've mentioned this in another thread. The pickpockets in Rome are professionals. We saw groups of teenagers coordinated as they worked through the crowd flowing through St. Peters Square. We didn't SEE their hands inside bags, but they were being directed by an older teen on the stairs, and tourists came out with their backpacks and bags gaping open.

Several cruise passengers were picked at the Coliseum and even inside the Vatican. Put all but a few euros inside your clothing and use zip ties or luggage locks or safety pins on all the zippers.

You may think you'd feel someone... but the crowd bumps, nudges and shuffles. Trust me on this!

they sell shawls in the gift store for that reason, the price was somewhat inflated but not too terribly. Of course you would need to get in line again I am sure, unless you waited in line an dlet a few ahead of you while one person purchased the shawl.

to the OP, several people mentioned the dilemma of riding trains and then walking a few blocks with luggage. Train stations always have taxi drivers waiting for fares-they may have to charge a minimum price but it is still less to take the train and do that than a car service. Besides riding the train is enjoyable. I find that an excursion in itself.

I know when we took a train to Dover for a cruise, we had booked a B and B a block away. We were told the B&B could be seen at the right side from the train station-and that was true-but it was STEEP uphill lol! We hired a driver who said we would have to pay him 10 pounds the minimum fare. Hubby said fine, we will give you 20 to include your tip for the bags. The driver was happy to do it. He did say "you yanks travel with too much! " Of course I told him it was a 3 week trip and that was why-lol!

<snip>

VERY good advice. Pay heed. These pickpockets are sooo good. Also, beware of walking along the edge of a sidewalk with a purse/backpack or shoulder bag as they ride motor scooters and are expert at grabbing bags as they speed by.