People who have been to Rome

txflood33

I agree with the others that if you can change your choice of hotel, you could make better use of your time for touring. Rome is a very large city and if staying on the outskirts, you waste too much time in traffic.

Roman drivers are a real treat. Traffic lights are a suggestion, pedestrians are moving targets the goal of which is to hit them and if they can't park their small cars in a designated space, they simply pull up on the sidewalk to park. :D Yet we love, love, love Rome and never, ever got enough of that fabulous city.

Speaking of traffic... Don't cut it very close with your transportation from Rome to Civitavecchia. There sometimes can be horrid traffic back ups. Leave yourself ample time, just in case.

Second the idea of changing hotels - Anglo Americano on via Quattro Fontana is reasonably priced - just steps away from Barberini Metro station - to get you to St. Peters in minutes at low cost - also just ten minute walk to Trevi and Spanish Steps. A bit pricier is Hotel Tritone on via Tritone - just a couple of minutes walk from Trevi.

The Rome Metro system is easy to handle- just two main routes - read up on it. What you would save in just one or two taxi fares would more than cover the price differential of a more centrally located hotels (not to mention the time saved)

You will be tired. We have done that flight several times.

First thing to do...cancel that hotel reservation. It is a poor location for sightseeing. If you got this hotel from the cruise line chances are you paid almost double the going rate for an inconvenient location.

Next, see if you can leave a few days early and spend more time in Rome.

Get something much more central so that you can have a walk around in the afternoon/evening. If you stay near/around P. Navona you can easily walk to Spanish Steps, Parthenon, Vatican ,or Castello Angelo.

Get up early the next morning and go to the Colosseum. Even if you cannot go inside and then walk back, at least take a drive around it.

Edited by iancal

While some shops may close on Sunday, you won't need to travel all the way to Trastavere for sundries ... or anything else. There are many, many restaurants close to the tourist spots. Most are rather generic and overpriced. That never bothers me, because I'm quite willing to pay for location. Most of these places are open straight through from lunch to supper; if you want a really special dinner experience, it will most likely be somewhere that doesn't open until 7:30 or 8pm.

Looks like the Crowne Plaza is a twenty minute walk from the Baldo metro stop. You might have to change from the red to blue line (or other way around), but there is a metro stop right at the Colesseum. From there, the Pantheon, Trevi, Spanish steps, etc., are a doable walking tour.

October is the perfect month for Rome, even though it gets dark earlier. I know the Pantheon closes soon after sundown, and I think entrance to the Colosseum is earlier that time of year. It won't be as crowded as summer, but it will be crowded. This past Oct,. we couldn't get near Trevi Fountain or the Spanish steps in the late afternoon/early evening, so we visited early the next morning.

Pick the one thing you most want to see. If I had but one trip to Rome, it would be the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill. Seems it's 50/50, in my experience, that either St. Peter's or the Colosseum is the one must-do for folks. Don't stress over it too much or you will miss the ambiance that is Rome. Savor each moment, just be sure to make a deliberate pause.

I would suggest, at some point, find an outdoor cafe and sit down for a fantastic cup of coffee or glass of wine. Yes, you pay extra to sit, but it's worth every penny.

ETA: Personally, I couldn't leave Rome without tossing that coin into the fountain. It must work: last year was our sixth visit!

The Pantheon will be closed if it is raining. Also on Sunday a lot of shops and restaurants will be closed. So will most supermarkets. If you need anything there is a sundry shop in the Ghetto. There will be some restaurants open in the tourist areas and in Trastavere.

Edited by k9x8

While some shops may close on Sunday, you won't need to travel all the way to Trastavere for sundries ... or anything else. There are many, many restaurants close to the tourist spots. Most are rather generic and overpriced. That never bothers me, because I'm quite willing to pay for location. Most of these places are open straight through from lunch to supper; if you want a really special dinner experience, it will most likely be somewhere that doesn't open until 7:30 or 8pm.

Looks like the Crowne Plaza is a twenty minute walk from the Baldo metro stop. You might have to change from the red to blue line (or other way around), but there is a metro stop right at the Colesseum. From there, the Pantheon, Trevi, Spanish steps, etc., are a doable walking tour.

October is the perfect month for Rome, even though it gets dark earlier. I know the Pantheon closes soon after sundown, and I think entrance to the Colosseum is earlier that time of year. It won't be as crowded as summer, but it will be crowded. This past Oct,. we couldn't get near Trevi Fountain or the Spanish steps in the late afternoon/early evening, so we visited early the next morning.

Pick the one thing you most want to see. If I had but one trip to Rome, it would be the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill. Seems it's 50/50, in my experience, that either St. Peter's or the Colosseum is the one must-do for folks. Don't stress over it too much or you will miss the ambiance that is Rome. Savor each moment, just be sure to make a deliberate pause.

I would suggest, at some point, find an outdoor cafe and sit down for a fantastic cup of coffee or glass of wine. Yes, you pay extra to sit, but it's worth every penny.

You no longer pay extra to sit--that was changed by law five or so years ago.

Pick a trattoria that you pass by to have your dinner. There are always menus posted out front and you can take a look to see if it appeals to you. There is so much wonderful food, be sure to have a great dinner. It doesn't have to be in the most fancy or pricey place but don't leave Rome without one fantastic meal. :)

When at the Spanish Steps, if either of you love luscious Italian designer goods, take a short stroll down Via Condotti and enjoy the windows of the most luxurious Italian designers. It's a treat. :)

Pick a trattoria that you pass by to have your dinner. There are always menus posted out front and you can take a look to see if it appeals to you. There is so much wonderful food, be sure to have a great dinner. It doesn't have to be in the most fancy or pricey place but don't leave Rome without one fantastic meal. :)

When at the Spanish Steps, if either of you love luscious Italian designer goods, take a short stroll down Via Condotti and enjoy the windows of the most luxurious Italian designers. It's a treat. :)

On via Condotti you will also pass the smallest country in the world - SMOM -Sovreign Military Order Of Malta - their "national" headquarters (and national territory) is in a building on your right as you head away from the Spanish Steps.

On via Condotti you will also pass the smallest country in the world - SMOM -Sovreign Military Order Of Malta - their "national" headquarters (and national territory) is in a building on your right as you head away from the Spanish Steps.

;) Right near Cartier? :)

If you are only going to have one dinner out in Rome our advice is to pick a local place. Do not even bother going in if the place has menus in five languages plastered on the window or outside on a table. And, if you do go in and all you hear is English, then try another place.

After many visits our choice is always small, family run establishments that are located at least a block or two off the main tourist streets/areas. Don't be afraid of the language issues and do not be afraid of splitting courses.

If you are only going to have one dinner out in Rome our advice is to pick a local place. Do not even bother going in if the place has menus in five languages plastered on the window or outside on a table. And, if you do go in and all you hear is English, then try another place.

After many visits our choice is always small, family run establishments that are located at least a block or two off the main tourist streets/areas. Don't be afraid of the language issues and do not be afraid of splitting courses.

Absolutely agree. Our best meal in Rome was in a residential neighborhood 15 or so blocks from Termini off Via Merulana. Our worst was near the Forum.

OP-

There are many good restaurants in the area you are staying. Especially on Quattro Venti.

There is a restaurant on top of the Quartto Venti railway station that is very good.

A few blocks from this is a Chinese restaurant that also serves (lousy) pizza! Well, it is Italy.

(Around the corner from here is a thrift store. Friend got a leather jacket there for e3.)

The Romans built the building with a hole in the roof (for light).

Rain comes in, floors get wet, marble gets slippery, Pantheon gets closed.

It might stay open during a drizzle but not the during the gulley-washer rains I've experienced there.

I have stayed across the piazza from the Pantheon numerous times at Albergo del Senato, including a week in early December a few years back when it rained and stormed nearly every day -- the Tiber flooded and some traffic tunnels and metro stops were also closed.

I passed by the Pantheon numerous times each day (often stopping in for a moment just to appreciate it) and never noticed it being closed due to the rain. In fact, I have photos of the rain coming in through the oculus...

As eurocruiser said, I have seen them rope off the middle of the floor due to water. But the floor was designed to slope slightly toward a system of drains in the floor, so the water doesn't get everywhere.

And, that is why I suggested stopping at a Trattoria. :)

They are casual, often no printed menu, and very often family owned wonderful restaurants. They are all over Italy and certainly all over Rome.

We had a favorite we ate in a great many times and each time we walked in, mama and papa remembered us from year to year. The food was out of this world.

Mama and Papa are surely gone by now but Trattoria Cicerone was amazing. I cannot currently recommend it as it has been too long since our last visit.

He used to wheel a trolley to each table with the days choices for antipasti. He'd then tell you what they had planned special for that day and we'd choose our pasta, chicken, veal....whatever. I'm making myself so hungry. :D

You no longer pay extra to sit--that was changed by law five or so years ago.

I was just in Rome, and eating/drinking at the bar had a different price than if you sat down almost every where I visited. If the law has changed, it certainly isn't being enforced.

I'll second the comments about finding restaurants away from the main streets and piazzas. We found a wonderful Sicilian restaurant once, in a small street leading away from the Pont Sant'Angelo heading in the general direction of Piazza Navona. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it. Another time we found one in a back street near Via Cavour - Ristorante Gli Angeletti I think it was called. We went back there on another visit.

I have stayed across the piazza from the Pantheon numerous times at Albergo del Senato, including a week in early December a few years back when it rained and stormed nearly every day -- the Tiber flooded and some traffic tunnels and metro stops were also closed.

I passed by the Pantheon numerous times each day (often stopping in for a moment just to appreciate it) and never noticed it being closed due to the rain. In fact, I have photos of the rain coming in through the oculus...

As eurocruiser said, I have seen them rope off the middle of the floor due to water. But the floor was designed to slope slightly toward a system of drains in the floor, so the water doesn't get everywhere.

It was closed every time I passed thru in Dec2011 during the rains.

Maybe they were doing some reconstruction? It was open during the dry times.

Rome sounds like a cruise. Same city, different experiences.

Edited by SadieN

My wife and I have been to Rome and explored it and the surrounding areas, via private tours, cabs, hop-on/hope-off bus, and walking bus, 9 times within the 10 years, including earlier this week. So based on this experience, permit me to offer some information and thoughts.

1. Based on your estimated time of arrival at FCO, you will probably not get to your hotel earlier than 2:30PM – 3:00PM, with check-in by 3:30PM.

2. Since you will arrive in October, sunset will probably occur between 6:30-7:00PM, leaving you with 3 – 3.5 hours to see Rome in daylight.

3. Since you state that arrival will on a Sunday, be advised that several roads near and around the Colosseum and Forum will be closed to vehicular traffic. Therefore, you will need to walk up to a half a mile to and from where the taxi or bus will drop you off. While a taxi may be able to drop you off on a street closer to the Colosseum/Forum area, the nearest bus stop will be at the Piazza Venezia in front of the Vittorio Emanuele II Monument (also referred to as the “Wedding Cake).

4. From the Crowne Plaza, it will take about 20 minutes by taxi and 30+ minutes by bus to get to the Colosseum/Forum area.

5. Note that you cannot hail a taxi on the streets in Rome. You must go to a designated Taxi stand.

6. If you do visit the Colosseum/Forum area and feel that you would still like to see other sites in Rome, I would suggest taking a taxi up to the Spanish Steps (Piazza di Spagna) and walk south (back towards the Colosseum) and follow the signs to the Trevi Fountain (Piazza di Trevi) and onto Piazza Navona. You will find many eating places on the side streets from the Spanish Steps to Piazza Navona. And there are several taxi stands in and around Piazza Navona that will take you back to your hotel.

7. I would suggest (as have others on this thread) that instead of taking transportation from the airport to the hotel that you rebook for a 4-hour (half day) private “highlights” tour of Rome that includes the drop off to your hotel following the tour. The cost for the tour/hotel drop off will be in the range of 400 – 500 Euros for two. You should go to Roll Calls section of these forums; find the cruise line, ship and sailing date; and connect with others on your cruise who might want to share the costs for the “highlights” tour. This way you see many of the important sites in Rome and the driver/guide will usually allow for occasional stops for brief walks and photos.

8. If you decide on the tour/transport, make sure that you specify that the driver/guide must speak English (unless you are fluent in Italian). There are many excellent tour/transport companies in Rome. Use Google or other sites for "Rome Tours" or "Rome Tour Companies and then check Trip Advisor for reviews.

I hope this will help you in planning your visit to Rome.

VFR

wife and I will be on a cruise in Oct that starts in Rome. We will be landing at noon local time on Sunday and the cruise leaves at 5:00pm on Mon.

I'm kind of taking Monday out of the picture for sight seeing because checkout is at noon and then we have to get to the boat and all of those shenanigans. So, based on that, how much will we get to see?

I think the Colosseum is the biggie and I can't imagine not having enough time to see it.....is it a tour? Is it like the Grand Canyon where you walk up and gaze at it's splendor and then check it off the list?

I'm not sure how far apart things are....we are staying at the Crown Plaza if that helps. Vatican City? Sistine Chapel? Trevi Fountain? Too much?

Are these walking places? Cabs? Subway? Horseback? :D

Personally I would have picked the coliseum over the Vatican before seeing them since I am not Catholic. However, it was amazing to see that church and all the gold in there. We have been too Versailles too and that was nothing in comparison.

Perhaps you can watch one of Rick Steves' travel videos on Rome and that will give you an idea of what you would like the most.

BTW, you are right, you will not have time for all. We did this from the port which is over an hour from Rome but that was a 12 hour excursion, and we only had time to see the one church in the Vatican. (BTW, I would suggest you check out early and catch an early before 10 am train to port, forget siteseeing as you will have to travel to port, unless your ship does not leave until 9 pm?) St. peter's I think it was called? Hubby would have liked to the Sistine chapel but we did not have enough time left. Rome is a big city and so travel does sometimes takes away from your time and what was scheduled which is what happened to us.

Morning traffic in Rome can be brutal, but you could consider having a taxi pick you up at your hotel at 9:00 AM, having checked out. You would then have time for a two hour ride to cover a couple of sites you might have missed on Sunday: perhaps Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori - you name it --- then head to the port - even if that drive took two hours (outside estimate) you would still get there by 1:00 PM.

Best suggestion, however, is to see if you could move your flight up a couple of days - it would be a shame to go all the way to Rome to just drive through it.

Really, there is no need to rush to the port at Civitavecchia. If your ship departs at the usual 7pm, getting there by 4pm is plenty of time.

I have several times eaten a nice lunch in Rome, then taken a train to the port at around 2pm.

You will have the entire cruise to explore the ship, but only a limited time in Rome -- make the most of it.

Really, there is no need to rush to the port at Civitavecchia. If your ship departs at the usual 7pm, getting there by 4pm is plenty of time.

I have several times eaten a nice lunch in Rome, then taken a train to the port at around 2pm.

You will have the entire cruise to explore the ship, but only a limited time in Rome -- make the most of it.

That is good to know so no need to be on board by 4 pm for the muster drill. The OP would still have trouble seeing everything. We had to be on ship by 8 pm and tour got us back at 7:30 pm. We arrived in Rome before 10 that morning and did the coliseum before lunch, after lunch was the Trevi Fountain and the Vatican but we had to be headed back to port before 5:30 pm becasue of traffic.

The OP will not have the morning drive from port as we did of course, but he will need to store his luggage. His hotel would do that I am sure, but he will need to pick it up before heading to port. If I was the OP I think I would try hard for an extra day in Rome if possible. He may be too tired to do much the day before. I know I am usually dead tired after the overseas flight, we may leave the US at 'bed time" and supposedly can sleep on the plane, but I never can. of course taking a train to port will give him more time than a car service becasue of the traffic so that would help him. Perhaps he should try to find a hotel near a train station. taht woudl simply htings for him as he could take the train from the airport too. Although I do recommend getting a taxi at the station close to his hotel, even if it is only a couple of blocks. You are too tired then to find a hotel you have never seen,there is a good chance of going in the wrong direction even if you are close to your hotel. We did that our first trip to Europe many years ago, we were much younger then so it was not as hard on us as it would be now-lol! But that was a good lesson! It will save major headaches and well worth the cost.

I do know our last trip to London in 2007 we arrived early enough to our hotel so we could have taken a nap thanks to the trains since trains do not have the heavy traffic like cars as our hotel being near Victoria station, but it was before check in time. We were there by 1 pm. All we could do was store our luggage at the hotel and then go out for a bit, which we did, we got lunch. I was much too tired to go any where after we were able to check in. All I wanted was a shower and to go to sleep for a couple of hours. By that time, nothing we cared to site see was open,so all we did later was dinner and then watched TV and to bed.

When we flew to Barcelona 2 years go it was after check in time as our flight arrived after 4 pm. since we had a connecting flight. The same was true when we went to France in 2009. Much too late for anything but dinner after we reached our hotel.

Now I was in my 50's for all of these trips, so if the OP is younger he may could hold up better, but can his SO and traveling companions? Hopefully none are older or small children. He needs to consider all of that.

wife and I will be on a cruise in Oct that starts in Rome. We will be landing at noon local time on Sunday and the cruise leaves at 5:00pm on Mon.

I'm kind of taking Monday out of the picture for sight seeing because checkout is at noon and then we have to get to the boat and all of those shenanigans. So, based on that, how much will we get to see?

I think the Colosseum is the biggie and I can't imagine not having enough time to see it.....is it a tour? Is it like the Grand Canyon where you walk up and gaze at it's splendor and then check it off the list?

I'm not sure how far apart things are....we are staying at the Crown Plaza if that helps. Vatican City? Sistine Chapel? Trevi Fountain? Too much?

Are these walking places? Cabs? Subway? Horseback? :D

You really need a guided tour for the coliseum,although perhaps you could walk around alone on your own if you have a map that shows you whee things are. There is a lot to it, beside the building remains where the seating area for the gladiator events is. We were there in the summer, on a tour from the ship. Our guide had prepaid tickets so we walked in fairly easily, did have to wait in line some, but there was another huge line of people in line to buy tickets before you could get in the line to go inside. Maybe you can research/google and find out if you can buy tickets ahead of time.

Holy Cow....so much more than I ever expected here. Thanks for the info.

We are sailing on Celebrity(in case I didn't mention) and the hotel was set up through them when I booked the trip....I suppose I could check back and move the reservation to another hotel. The shuttle/cab/car is included in the total price for airport to hotel/hotel to pier/pier to airport....so all of that is taken care of.

The ships leaves at 5:00pm local time.....it's been 10 years since I've been on a cruise so I really don't know off the top of my head what time we would need to be on board.....I'm guessing the cruise line arranged shuttle will get me there on time....but I do know it will make for a shortened morning.