Looking for advice - Eastern Carribbean Feb/March 2015

My wife and I are recent cruise junkies. Experienced our first in February 2012 (RCI Navigator of the Seas - Western Caribbean) and our second July of 2013 (Sapphire Princess - Alaskan Inner Passage)

Our first two were family trips and we have decided to book our next cruise for just "us two". We have narrowed the time to the end of February or very beginning of March but are in a conundrum and looking for any advice/input.

We had narrowed our choices to the RCI Allure of the Seas or the Celebrity Silhouette. A recent contender is the RCI Independence of the Seas.

Here's why we are waffling:

Allure - Ports of call - Nassau, St. Thomas & St. Maarten

Silhouette - Ports of call - San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Kits

Independence - Ports of call - San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Kits, and Labadie

We were already to Labadie, so that is not a draw necessarily. We added the Independence of the Seas cruise to the mix due to the itinerary as it was basically the same as the Silhouette and in our opinion; we preferred it to that of the Allure.

HOWEVER, the Allure is like the big shiny toy in the window that is so hard to resist. Is it worth it? Everything we've read about the Silhouette has been positive with the dining seeming to be a "step up".

We are in our mid 40's, like to do activities, but the rock wall, flow runner, etc. are not a draw. So shops, shows, activities such as trivia, karaoke, movies, etc. are a plus. We are a little nervous about the Silhouette that it may be too laid back.

Advice/thoughts/opinions from anyone who has experienced these ships would greatly be appreciated. Plus, are we right about the itinerary? Or are we crazy and the Allure is worth a lesser itinerary if that is the case.

dazed and confused! :eek:

Thanks!

You are hooked. So, you do not have to make a choice based on it being the only one you can have. If you are looking to widen your horizons, I would leave the big shiny toy for another time and take the Silhouette. She is a wonderful, beautiful ship, but you won't feel guilty getting off in port, nor will you feel at the end of the cruise that there were things you didn't see/try. EM

We have been on Oasis (sister ship to Allure) and Independence - both twice - but never Slhouette, so our experience can only reference that. We also cruised them alone as the two of us.

Allure is a great ship for the diversity of venues, activities, and dining experiences. IMO if you have never been on that ship class, Allure would be a destination in of itself with the ports of call almost secondary in the experience. That is not to diminish the itinerary, but while nice, Nassau, is not the premier port of call on the itinerary. Certainly St. Thomas and St. Martin would be the highlights, again IMO. In fairness I think the Silhouette itinerary might be more the choice for us, but there is no real comparison between the ships - Allure is in a class by itself.

Both of our Independence cruises have been the 8-night itinerary you refer to and has been one of our favorite itineraries. The ship also is one of our favorites. While perhaps not quite as diverse as Allure in what is on board, there certainly are enough of the venues, activities, and dining experiences to keep you interested on board while enjoying the itinerary. Independence, IMO, would be more of a balance of on board experience and itinerary in comparison to Allure. Without a doubt our choice would be this itinerary over that of Silhouette due to the extra day and port of call.

Tough choice for sure and our solution was to do both! That being said, however, I think Allure should be experienced at least once and having just the two of you cruising would be a great way do that. We cruised Oasis the first time by ourselves - although we chose the western Caribbean itinerary - and enjoyed it so much that we booked it again the following year with our family so that they could experience it as well.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise - whichever you choose.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You need to decide whether you cruise for the ship or the itinerary. Allure brings you to St. Thomas and Nassau - which in my view are not worth the time. while Independence gives you the best itinerary.

Silhouette is the only one of the three we have sailed, so I cannot offer comparison -- but was perfectly happy with the service, food, entertainment and amenities. Allure's allure would have to be extraordinary to outweigh the dreary itinerary.

It's not on your list, but the Royal Princess has a fabulous 10 day Eastern Caribbean itinerary out of Fort Lauderdale from February 27 - March 9.

Princess Cays - Sea Day - St Thomas - Antigua - St Lucia - Barbados - St Kitts - 2 Sea Days

We did this itinerary this year on the Emerald and we loved it so much we're doing it again next year on the Royal! :cool:

Edited by canadarocks

Another option is HAL. They have really nice 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruises out of Fr. Lauderdale with ports at Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay (their private island), San Juan & St Thomas. We did it this past February and totally enjoyed it.

You've been on RCI, you've been on Princess, I'd give the Silhouette a whirl, just to experience a different line. As an above poster stated as well, HAL has some nice 7 day cruises you might want to consider, too.

My wife and I are recent cruise junkies. Experienced our first in February 2012 (RCI Navigator of the Seas - Western Caribbean) and our second July of 2013 (Sapphire Princess - Alaskan Inner Passage)

Our first two were family trips and we have decided to book our next cruise for just "us two". We have narrowed the time to the end of February or very beginning of March but are in a conundrum and looking for any advice/input.

We had narrowed our choices to the RCI Allure of the Seas or the Celebrity Silhouette. A recent contender is the RCI Independence of the Seas.

Here's why we are waffling:

Allure - Ports of call - Nassau, St. Thomas & St. Maarten

Silhouette - Ports of call - San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Kits

Independence - Ports of call - San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Kits, and Labadie

We were already to Labadie, so that is not a draw necessarily. We added the Independence of the Seas cruise to the mix due to the itinerary as it was basically the same as the Silhouette and in our opinion; we preferred it to that of the Allure.

HOWEVER, the Allure is like the big shiny toy in the window that is so hard to resist. Is it worth it? Everything we've read about the Silhouette has been positive with the dining seeming to be a "step up".

We are in our mid 40's, like to do activities, but the rock wall, flow runner, etc. are not a draw. So shops, shows, activities such as trivia, karaoke, movies, etc. are a plus. We are a little nervous about the Silhouette that it may be too laid back.

Advice/thoughts/opinions from anyone who has experienced these ships would greatly be appreciated. Plus, are we right about the itinerary? Or are we crazy and the Allure is worth a lesser itinerary if that is the case.

dazed and confused! :eek:

Thanks!

The Allure is worth it.

The entertainment blows everything else out of the water.

The itineraries aren't that much less, especially if you do the RCI excursion from St Thomas direct to St John. Now, that's a great day. St Martin is a great stop too and you'll enjoy the ship just like everyone else. :cool: My review is linked below.