Mold found in Stateroom and Air System

baytraller

Passengers have health issues regarding mold on the Prinsendam

'Be aware of the mold problem in some PRINSENDAM cabins. We have been aboard for a month doing the Grand Voyage from Barcelona to Rome. We started having respiratory problems a few days after we boarded. We noticed a faint odor and traced it to the area behind the wooden nightstand adjacent to the bathroom. We pulled the furniture away from the wall and found mold in abundance. The cabin stewards tried without success to clean it over the next two days. We both had increasing breathing problems. Finally, we went to the desk and insisted we be moved to another cabin that same day. Fortunately there were other cabins available.

I have read other posts mentioning mold problems aboard the PRINSENDAM. She is is fantastic ship and I would sail on her again, but next time I will closely inspect the cabin before accepting it. I suggest others do the same, especially if you have asthma or any respiratory issues.'

'Stateroom 453 on deck 5, midship mold in cabin on PRINSENDAM . Our neighbor said subsequent to our moving out, the Hotel was aware of the problem before we boarded. They saw blowers being used in the cabin before it was occupied by us.'

Also the last review of the Prinsendam noted black mold in the air system

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=251873

We have booked a cruise in September on the Prinsendam, our stateroom is near 453

Just how wide spread is this problem

Emailed HAL about this issue but have received no reply .

Thank you for posting this information. Is your breathing issue resolved? Are you all having any other side affects from this?

I would have not thought about it being an issue. :eek:

I hope HAL gets back to you via email.

I, for one, will absolutely check my cabin and our air vents on our next HAL cruise.

Thank you again.

Thanks for the heads up, it is not surprising as I suspect most ships have this to some degree given the high humidity on the water.

It isn't that common, given that the A/C tends to dry out the air. From the OP's statement that a blower was seen in the cabin prior to occupancy, to me this indicates a water problem in the cabin the cruise before. Either a drain back-up or a burst water pipe. If the carpet is not completely saturated, they will generally dry it with blowers, and use a mildewcide to deal with problems under the carpet. Obviously, someone forgot to move furniture and spray down the bulkheads.

Thanks for the heads up, it is not surprising as I suspect most ships have this to some degree given the high humidity on the water.

That was my first thought - how would they NOT have problems with mold? Somebody call a plaintiff attorney, they can revive that litigious block mold decade!!

I know MANY people who often catch respiratory infections during and/or right after disembarkation... on a variety of ships. Including me. ( I have been treated on board ships as well as at home post cruises.) Now add the flights home with pressure changes and you can be really sick when you get home. I'm not talking a generic cold here. The idea this happens only on one ship or one line isn't something I will believe. I travel with a 5 day course of antibiotics as well as RX nasal spray.

Edited by eandj

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully this is a one off.

We were told that mold is an issue on ships that have had a history of plumbing issues-specifically flooding or broken pipes that result in wet carpets or water seepage down or between the walls.

We were on Volendam for 28 days in March. The air conditioner wasn't cooling at the start of the cruise. When the repair man came he replaced the air filter. It was totally plugged and filthy. Midway through the cruise we had him back and the filter was plugged again. This tells me the ducts and ventilation system was very dirty. Not sure how they could clean the ducts unless they took the ship out of service

Sent from my iPhone using Forums