What one thing...?

fitsea

For you experienced cruisers, SO and I just booked one for this August in the southern Caribb. (RCI FOS)

What's one thing did you wish you had on your first cruise that you sailed without, and what one thing did you bring that didn't need at all?

Thanks!

I bring the same stuff I bring on any land vacation to the same climate....didn't need anything extra, and didn't take anything I really didn't use...except 2 pair of shorts! I rewore a couple pair a few times, as I was only in them an hour or so!

The best advice that I have cleaved from these boards is to take half of the clothes that you think that you need and double the money. The one item that I will never sail without is ear plugs. Some of the shows and music is too loud and then there are the drunks laughing their way down the halls at 3:00 A.M. . On one cruise we had some dufus next door who didn't know the difference between high fidelity and distortion. He had the bass kicked up so loud that I could hear it with my ear plugs in. Security talked to him three times to no avail.:mad:

For you experienced cruisers, SO and I just booked one for this August in the southern Caribb. (RCI FOS)

What's one thing did you wish you had on your first cruise that you sailed without, and what one thing did you bring that didn't need at all?

Thanks!

I think you'd have a tough time finding anyone that didn't over pack on their first cruise. And there are some, even after several cruises, that still bring things they don't need. At the time we took our first cruise, country line-dancing was very popular, and we were really into it. We took our cowboy boots with us. Didn't need them, didn't use them. We should have left the cowboy boots at home and brought sandals instead. And we took too much clothing. On a typical seven day cruise, you'll have two dress-up nights for dinner. Since you only dress up for dinner, and not the entire day, as long as you keep your clothes clean, you can wear the same thing twice, and no one will care. You can cut down on casual clothing by mixing and matching different outfits. Your best bet is to make a list of the items you definitely need, such as medications (prescription and non), personal items, such as toothbrush, deodorant, etc., and, most importantly, travel docs. (passports, tickets, boarding passes, etc.). After that, as you start to pack things, ask yourself, "Do I really need this?" If not, leave it at home. I do recommend bringing two bathing suits, and plenty of sun block, especially if you plan on spending a lot of time in the pool or at the beach. And one more thing. Bring your credit card and/or extra cash. You can always buy something if you forgot to bring it.;)

I've heard that two pieces swim suits are not allowed at celebrity reflection pools, is it true?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I suppose it depends on how you look in a two-piece.:D I don't see anything posted on Celebrity's web site that says two-piece bathing suits aren't allowed.

I think you'd have a tough time finding anyone that didn't over pack on their first cruise. And there are some, even after several cruises, that still bring things they don't need. At the time we took our first cruise, country line-dancing was very popular, and we were really into it. We took our cowboy boots with us. Didn't need them, didn't use them. We should have left the cowboy boots at home and brought sandals instead. And we took too much clothing. On a typical seven day cruise, you'll have two dress-up nights for dinner. Since you only dress up for dinner, and not the entire day, as long as you keep your clothes clean, you can wear the same thing twice, and no one will care. You can cut down on casual clothing by mixing and matching different outfits. Your best bet is to make a list of the items you definitely need, such as medications (prescription and non), personal items, such as toothbrush, deodorant, etc., and, most importantly, travel docs. (passports, tickets, boarding passes, etc.). After that, as you start to pack things, ask yourself, "Do I really need this?" If not, leave it at home. I do recommend bringing two bathing suits, and plenty of sun block, especially if you plan on spending a lot of time in the pool or at the beach. And one more thing. Bring your credit card and/or extra cash. You can always buy something if you forgot to bring it.;)

Don't worry about having enough clothes, etc. you will! I agree with everyone who's posted, only caveat for me is try to anticipate any pharmacy needs you might have. DH twisted his neck on day 1 and we had to buy a small tube of Ben Gay on the ship......they had it, but it cost me $12.00! We didn't make a port until day 3, so I was stuck. Now I travel with a cosmetic bag that I fill with cold, stomach, intestinal, muscular, allergy and first aid stuff all in small travel sizes, or repacked in small zip lock bags.

After 16 cruises, the one thing we don't leave home without is a zip lock with travel sized meds for anything from stomach ache, headache, toothache, cold symptoms and band-aids. Cold symptoms in the middle of the night while the shops are closed or a hangover or even a headache and the shops are closed while you are at a port that doesn't have a pharmacy close-by is miserable. We learned this from miserable experiences. Doesn't take up much room and is a great relief to know that I'm prepared. Other than that, I'm with everyone else: Half the clothes, double the money. Nothing gets packed that doesn't do double duty. We mix and match clothes and we always have things that we re-wear. I no longer feel shame in saying that we will wear a piece of clothing more than once on a cruise. We love packing lighter. Besides, you will always pick up a t-shirt on the ship or in a port, underwear can be washed out in the sink and hung up in the shower to dry or you can send them to the ship's laundry. It's not that expensive and you're on vacation. Best splurge ever is to use the laundry bag special mid-week.

On my first cruise I didn't bring my own shampoo and conditioner. Yikes! I don't know if it is the water onboard or the product provided but my hair was a mess. Now I bring little bottles of each.

I agree with everyone else in that it is easy to bring way too many clothes, shoes and accessories. However, I will admit that after 16 cruises I'm still guilty of this.:eek::eek:

On my first cruise I did a TON of research and had like so many others too many clothes- however I loved having so many options! On the second cruise and then on we always take a cheap dollar store hamper which is super nice for dirty clothes :) don't forget a power strip if you have more than one female in a cabin. I also forgot a beach bag for the sea days (we love hanging out at the pool on those days) but no fear we got one on the ship for $10. Don't sweat it too much just go and have a great time! All the important things you won't forget and everything else if it's that important you can buy it there. My hubby forgot to take his sunglasses on a port day so we found some for cheap for him to use that day. No biggie you're on vacation I say no worries ;) have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For our first cruise I had no idea where to go for info and no one I knew had ever been on a cruise. I based my packing list on what the people in the cruise brochure were wearing! I went out and bought exercise clothes because I thought I was going to be in an exercise class and thought I needed to look like the lady in the picture. Never happened! Also, for some reason my husband and I each brought two pairs of jeans. I have no idea why - we certainly did not need them in the Southern Caribbean.

Thanks!

We brought way too many clothes and the one thing I wish I had was extra memory cards for our camera.

We brought way too many clothes and the one thing I wish I had was extra memory cards for our camera.

Yes! It doesn't hurt to have at least one extra memory card for your camera, or more if you take a lot of photos or shoot a lot of videos.

• 2 weeks later...

Bring a watch and/or an alarm clock. On Carnival, they have clocks only in some stairwells. If you keep your cell phone on airplane mode, the time is sometimes messed up.

Also, it's really dark in the room at night, so an alarm clock is helpful.

Cell phone, laptop or tablet makes a pretty decent clock; just don't forget that if you keep it in airplane mode you'll have to make time zone changes yourself. :) If you do buy a clock, a Wal-Mart 9.99 special will do just fine. I figure that between my tablet, Herself's tablet, my watch and Herself's watch, we have time-keeping pretty much covered off. :D

Edited by Jackytar

First cruise, I needed an eyeglass repair kit....the teeny tiny screw fell out of the bow of my glasses....and we couldn't find the screw anywhere! I had to wear my prescription sunglasses the rest of the time.

The one thing I brought and didn't need was a tervis cup. It was too aggravating to carry it around once I had finished my drink, and I didn't always want to return to the cabin to drop it off.

• 4 weeks later...
I've heard that two pieces swim suits are not allowed at celebrity reflection pools, is it true?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Oh, they're allowed, but only the bottom half . . . :eek:

For keeping the drapes more tightly closed to make the cabin darker. I don't want to see the sun until after 10:00 a.m. They also came in handy for wet swimsuits, etc. Also needed more books as I finished the one I brought in 1.5 days. I like to leave books I have readon the passenger swap shelf in the library.

I now take no electronics. I unplug completely, leaving phone, iPad, etc. at home. People at home know how to get in touch with me aboard the ship so I don't lug all that stuff anymore.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I haven't been on my first cruise yet (90 days to go) but here's some advice my brother gave me from his honeymoon cruise...

Bring a backup pair of sunglasses. And when it comes to luggage tags, have them laminated and secure them to your bags with clear heavy duty packing tape. Apparently one of their bags didn't get delivered for three days because the luggage tag came off.

Also, customize your bags somehow. Colorful tape or bright yarn wrapped around the handle will make it easier to find during the debarkation process.

Hope this helps!

...And when it comes to luggage tags, have them laminated and secure them to your bags with clear heavy duty packing tape. Apparently one of their bags didn't get delivered for three days because the luggage tag came off...

Appreciate your brother's tip but you should know that most passengers would certainly have gone looking for their bag were it not delivered to the cabin by say, oh, 8:00 pm. There was absolutely no reason your brother needed to be without his bag for three days. Lost luggage would have been stored in one place for those passengers who needed to claim it. :)